1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by GHT, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Now, Levi's Europe launched their basic type III trucker-Denimjacket in a new dark-stonewashed colouring.
    Buddys, I bought my hardrockin', well-made Karstadt storebrand Denim-jacket in dark-stone for 50 bucks (!) in very early 2016!

You are TWO YEARS too late, my friends, HAHA!! Mayor-brand-jetlag, or what?? :D:D:D

2. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

You're probably right. I hadn't considered that because we weren't directly affected by their shenanigans.

3. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

ex-Cubs closer Wade Davis signed with Colorado. :eek:
    And, my favorite fast food delivery joint (emergency BLTs and Meatball sandwiches) folded shop over the holidays. Bummer.:(

tonyb likes this.
  4. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

My sympathies, we lost our favorite delivery pizza place 3 years back and we still haven't fully recovered.

5. PeterGunnLives

PeterGunnLives One of the Regulars

This reminds me... there is a little restaurant near my job that claims to specialize in Döner Kebab specifically in the Berlin style. But people who are from Berlin or who have visited Berlin say it's not authentic Berlin style. Of course, we are about five thousand miles from Berlin, so most people don't know the difference.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  6. Trenchfriend

@PeterGunnLives
    The problem is, that there is no "standard" of meat in german Döner.
    Luckily, I don't have to deal with these curious ground meat-Döner and other crap, they sell in the dirty big cities.

My smalltown-Döner is still the same quality-Döner with yummy turkey-meat, like in the beginning in 1999. But turkey and beef are kind of an inofficial standard since BSE.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    vitanola likes this.
  7. Trenchfriend

How much cost fried-herrings in the glass in the US?

8. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Found a back-up place where all I need: chicken, ribs, pizza, meatball sand, and bacon-lettuce-tomato are in house under the same roof.
    Unfortunately the fries are a bust and the ribs are a tad lean and over-sauced. Cannot have everything.;)
    And another staff meeting this morning that I wish I hadn't needed to attend.:(

9. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Barbecue sauce is for people who don't know how to grill meat. If the ribs don't taste good dry, that goop won't help.

dh66 and PeterGunnLives like this.
  10. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Tell me about it.

bbq-Fire.jpg

11. PeterGunnLives

PeterGunnLives One of the Regulars

I do my shopping at all kinds of grocery stores, but I have never seen fried herring in packages. I only see them pickled, or salted and packed in oil.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  12. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

Same here, never seen fried herring in glass jars. I lived in Germany and know that fried herring was commonly eaten near the North Sea coast of Germany, but we lived in Bavaria. There you could buy fried herring in tins. The glass jar variety was usually for pickled herring, a gross foodstuff as far as I'm concerned. Never saw much of the stuff here until the influx of Polish people over the past 15 years. Much like Sushi, I've never been tempted to eat the stuff.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  13. Trenchfriend

Aah, "good old" zipper-nightmare! :confused: Like in the 90s, with crappy kids-jackets, I still remember.

I got a viscofaom-topper on my mattress (regular quality-stuff, not the cheap crap). Today, I just tried, how easily the zipper could be opened, if necessary. As soon as I started to open the zipper, the much too near parallel panel under it moved into the zipper and repressed it. The zipper was still moveable, but I tried and tried, starting to get angry and finally, with a little luck, I managed to get the panel out of the zipper at the endpart of the zipper-line. Aaaah. :mad:

Next time, I will remember to open and close the zipper very slowly. AND on closing, lay your forefinger in front of the zipper-slider to avoid, that the panel will move into the slider again! :)

Aah, crappy, tiny, sensitive 90s-zipper times... :rolleyes:

PS: Luckily, I rescued the zipper without any damage.

14. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Kippers are very popular in Northern New England with the older folks, and are usually sold in flat sardine-style cans, but if you want fried herring you've got to fry it yourself. It's not as popular as fried smelts, but it has a following. Pickled herring you find in the "ethnic" aisle at the grocery store, next to the matzo meal and the jarred gefilte fish.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  15. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I have never tried it (and if my life goes at all according to plan, I never will) - so, who knows, it might be the best tasting thing on earth - but based on how it looks, it could win an award as one of the least appetizing looking things ever sold in a jar. Just the thought of it gives me the willies.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  16. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I've had it and it's not the worst thing I've ever eaten. It gave me issues, but that's because it had onions ground up in it -- not enough to trigger my allergy, but enough to give me a bad case of indigestion -- but I kind of liked the taste.

17. Trenchfriend

Lutefisk is on my to do-list, oh yeah! :D

18. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

Folks, I think I'll stick to fish fingers / sticks or Chicken of the Sea! :)

19. Trenchfriend

Potatoe-mash, fish-sticks and scrambled-eggs on top. :D

This thread goes mouthwatering...

Zombie_61 and HanauMan like this.
  20. vitanola

vitanola My Mail is Forwarded Here

You will love the way that it squeaks against your teeth.

The buttered Lefse served with the Lutefisk makes the agony worth while, though.

Trenchfriend likes this.