Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
After all the public pay phones were ripped out of LaSalle Street Station, I reluctantly bought a cell phone; now carrying a Samsung flip cell,
cheap and reliable with a $20 monthly tab or so. Last night I stopped at my favorite bar for some basketball and met a lady whom bets
English soccer-nothing else and had all her data IPAD stored. Since I dabble gambling thoroughbreds semi-professionally and more inclined
to the Daily Racing Form for handicapping this intrigued me. DRF offers Formulator and Timeform software is also available I felt slightly
behind the curve a bit. Will need to upgrade and pay the cost.

I couldn't agree more. It was how they did it as, as you note, you felt like they were taking you hostage...Fine, they were - I'm guessing - within their legal rights, but even as they now offer some more reasonable pricing, I'd rather pay more elsewhere than ever give them a dollar. And from what I've read here and elsewhere - a lot of people feel this way.
This was, and still is, the main issue for me. They lost faith and trust by the way they handled the situation, and even if they now offered me all of their services and unlimited storage space free of charge for life I'd reject it because I couldn't/wouldn't trust them to not renege on that deal at some point in the future. Granted, I wasn't a paying customer so I'm aware I really have no say in how they operate, but it's not like I and everyone else tricked them into offering their services at no charge. At the very least, a little warning would have been nice.

If there's a silver lining to the cloud cast over Photobucket, it's that I'm now more diligent about keeping back-up copies of any files I upload (I'm now using Imgur). Fool me once...

This was, and still is, the main issue for me. They lost faith and trust by the way they handled the situation, and even if they now offered me all of their services and unlimited storage space free of charge for life I'd reject it because I couldn't/wouldn't trust them to not renege on that deal at some point in the future. Granted, I wasn't a paying customer so I'm aware I really have no say in how they operate, but it's not like I and everyone else tricked them into offering their services at no charge. At the very least, a little warning would have been nice.

If there's a silver lining to the cloud cast over Photobucket, it's that I'm now more diligent about keeping back-up copies of any files I upload (I'm now using Imgur). Fool me once...

I've had a couple of long conversations with a very tech-savvy friend of mine and came away with his "rule of three" stuck in my head.

To be really secure, he believes you need three separate backups. For me, it's a hard drive in my Apple Airport Time Capsule (which doubles as my wireless router and backs everything up hourly), I also store documents and photos on Apple's cloud service and, three, (because of my call with him), I now regularly back everything up to a thumb drive. And, Google, effectively "backs up" my email to some extent (but not really relying on that)

I work from home for myself and have no tech group to call for help (or blame) if things go wrong - so I need the belt and suspenders and side tabs approach.

I am not posting this as a definitive tech answer; I am just relaying what I've been told by a tech guy and what I happen to do.

MondoFW

Practically Family
deguisement-acccessoire-bretelles-couleur-adulte.jpg

Costumes like this that try to "capture" the 1920s-40s gangster look. No one dressed like this! It looks ridiculous, and I'm tired of seeing crap like this when looking for actual vintage examples. And then this leads people to believe that this was the definitive bad-ass style of the time. What the mob were wearing may look outlandish today, and was probably ostracized at the time, it's nowhere near like these modern renditions.

Costumes like this that try to "capture" the 1920s-40s gangster look. No one dressed like this! It looks ridiculous, and I'm tired of seeing crap like this when looking for actual vintage examples. And then this leads people to believe that this was the definitive bad-ass style of the time. What the mob were wearing may look outlandish today, and was probably ostracized at the time, it's nowhere near like these modern renditions.
Which website were you on? That is totally cool!

Not. [emoji849]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

3fingers

One Too Many

Ridiculous. I don't know what else to say that conveys sufficient disgust.

MondoFW

Practically Family
Which website were you on? That is totally cool!

Not. [emoji849]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
Costumes like this can be seen on ebay everywhere. This is all i find when looking for true 1920s clothing on ebay, which seems rare as hens' teeth, unless it's formal wear

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
27AC5652-8580-4896-96D4-67A629E44C96.jpeg

Al Capone in grey three piece suit.
d33e3111b8714bdf997519be0f5cd33d.jpg.png

Lucky Luciano with “Murders Incorporated”.

Prior to joining the military, I worked at a commercial arts/sign shop.
Mostly silk-screen and billboards.
One time a customer came in dressed in a very fine business suit.
I thought he was a banker. His manner was very cordial.

My boss told me afterwards that he was a lieutenant for the organization
from New York. He did not elaborate, but I knew what he meant.
I said something like, “ he sure doesn’t look like what I had in mind!”
He added, “that’s Hollywood’s version, kid!”. :(

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
He might just have out "over-the-topped" Nucky in outfits.

I enjoyed watching BW Empire mostly for the background settings, buildings and cars of the times.
maxresdefault.jpg

fff11.jpg

With the Buster Keaton & Harold Lloyd silents, I enjoy the comedy with the added feature of the background settings and vehicles of the time.
149-pdvd_101.gif

They are video albums of a period in time from long ago.

I enjoyed watching BW Empire mostly for the background settings, buildings and cars of the times.
View attachment 111107
View attachment 111108
With the Buster Keaton & Harold Lloyd silents, I enjoy the comedy with the added feature of the background settings and vehicles of the time.
View attachment 111109

"Boardwalk Empire" was very good story telling, but I'm with you, I watched it equally for the period (and exaggerated period) sets, architecture, clothes, etc. It was a visually stunning show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider