1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by GHT, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Life was never easy for you.

I was prescribed some narcotic (probably codeine, just not sure) for my migraines in the '90s pre Imitrex (right up there with the wheel in list of man's great invention, IMHO) and remember two things - (1) there was a much more documented process for getting the prescription (the doctor had a special numbered pad, the pharmacist checked ID and - think but not sure - had me sign for it) and (2) I still had the searing headache, but was loopy / groggy and, kinda, cared less about it. That said, it really didn't help as I was still out of circulation until everything passed.

2. OldStrummer

OldStrummer A-List Customer

The use of the word "gender" when what is meant is "sex." I guess we're become so obsessed with being offensive that the word "sex" is fraught with "intent."

In the running store where I work, we sell unisex socks, not unigender socks.

From the dictionary:

gen·der
    ˈjendər/
    noun
    noun: gender; plural noun: genders
    1. 1.
      the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
      "traditional concepts of gender"
      synonyms: sex
      "variables included age, income, and gender"
      • the members of one or other sex.
        "differences between the genders are encouraged from an early age"
    2. 2.
      Grammar
      (in languages such as Latin, Greek, Russian, and German) each of the classes (typically masculine, feminine, common, neuter) of nouns and pronouns distinguished by the different inflections that they have and require in words syntactically associated with them. Grammatical gender is only very loosely associated with natural distinctions of sex.
      • the property (in nouns and related words) of belonging to a gender.
        "adjectives usually agree with the noun in gender and number"
    Use over time for: gender
    upload_2018-3-13_9-5-17.png

Attached Files:

3. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

In the UK the term gender became widespread instead of the term sex because sex had become the clean version of copulate, or fornicate. Such practice may have crossed the pond, spawned perhaps by our two countries airing their TV shows to each other's population, who knows?

4. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Well, strictly speaking socks don't have a sex -- they're inanimate, non-living objects. But they can be "gendered" by their style and trimming to fit a sociocultural definition of gender identity, so as clumsy as "unigendered" sounds it's actually more correct than "unisex."

We have a non-gendered bathroom in our lobby, and we have a staff member who speaks English as a second language and sometimes gets confused on the way English uses such words, directing people to the "bisexual bathroom."

scottyrocks, Zombie_61 and vitanola like this.
  5. OldStrummer

OldStrummer A-List Customer

I've actually heard/seen expecting parents say they are going to the doctor to determine the gender of their new baby. o_O

6. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I'm going to stay away from all that ⇧, but the one that jars me as it, IMHO, just doesn't make sense is when a a husband says "we're pregnant." Fine if you view language as flexible and don't take it literally - it works, I guess. But - and truly, I'm not losing sleep over this or even spending too much time on the obvious political agenda - at a surface level, it just sounds off to me.

And I've often wondered if the wives - the ones actually going through the pregnancy - aren't a bit miffed sometimes about doing all the work of the pregnancy (after step one), but having to share the credit. Or as a friend of mine once said to her husband, "that's great, how 'bout you give birth this time?"

scottyrocks, vitanola and 2jakes like this.
  7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I *hate* "we're pregnant." Are "we" also having an episiotomy?

scottyrocks and vitanola like this.
  8. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

Last week! :D
    jake.png

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Zombie_61, Fading Fast and vitanola like this.
  9. vitanola

vitanola My Mail is Forwarded Here

Zombie_61 and 2jakes like this.
  10. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

“Boloney”...? o_O

Unknown.jpeg
    Dude can’t spell... I1SQyi8.gif

Bruce Wayne and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

Any man who says this should be required to have a piece of 6" watermain inserted into his rectum during the birthing process, not to be extracted until the child is delivered.

Zombie_61 and LizzieMaine like this.
  12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

And he should have to allow complete strangers to walk up to him and pat it. "Innat cute!"

ChiTownScion and Zombie_61 like this.
  13. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

Narcotics in general might make me vomit. It's happened on a few occasions, anyway. Even a relatively "lightweight" one, such as codeine, might have that effect.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  14. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

I had been a habitual diphenhydramine user. Took a couple 25 mg tablets before hitting the sack almost every night for many months if not a year or two. It was indeed effective.

But then I heard that diphenhydramine was implicated in Alzheimer's disease. So I asked my "regular" doc, who opined that perhaps the headlines were a tad sensational, that his understanding was that there was but one study to make such an implication, and that if it turned out to be true, we had best brace ourselves for a flood of Alzheimer's patients, seeing how diphenhydramine is in a whole lotta medications. In other words, he said, he doubted there was any causality but nonetheless it would probably be better if I didn't take it regularly.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  15. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

It's died down since its peak, but in very liberal NYC (and the city wears that badge proudly, that's not me putting a political label on the city) I still hear it, but it is off its peak of about 7 or 8 years ago.

16. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

My headache was so intense that I took more than required thinking that this would be the
    solution.
    Wrong! :(

With wine, after a couple of swallows even if the alcohol content is low. I tend to start
    laughing at everything which is very annoying to everyone around the table. :D

The worse time vomiting is when I first tried smoking a pipe.
    I bought a corn-cob pipe and super sweet cherry-blend tobacco.

My hat’s off to you mammy! :(
    44287h_lg-480x600.jpg
    Yer not suppose to inhale...dummy!"

BobHufford and Zombie_61 like this.
  17. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

I had the misfortune of seeing a portion of an episode of "Sister Wives," a "reality" TV program featuring a polygamist family comprised of one husband and three or four wives and a slew of youngsters. (My one and only wife was watching it. I try not to hold it against her.)

This episode centered on one of those many offspring -- a young woman in the late stages of pregnancy. She was experiencing a prolonged labor, something in excess of three solid days, if I recall correctly. The worst of it, from this viewer's perspective, was when the young woman's father, the guy with the three or four wives, decided he was in charge of this project, because, you know, he's had all these kids and has witnessed the process many times so ...

God, what as insufferable a**hole.

I consider it none of my business if willing adults are involved in matrimonial couples or triples or quadruples or whatever. I happen to know folks who lived apparently quite happily under such domestic arrangements. Which is not to say that such arrangements, like any human relationship, don't have the potential for abuse. Still, in an age of legal same-sex marriage, in an age when we have finally gotten around to the long overdue recognition that marriage in a secular society is, from a legal perspective, a contractual agreement in which religion plays no part, I see no reason to deny legal recognition to plural marriages. At the very least, people in such domestic situations ought not be subjected to persecution.

The problem is that we've arranged so much of our society around "traditional" marriage that expanding the definition would impact many other important matters -- health insurance coverage, for instance, to cite one major concern.

I had offered years ago, long before the SCOTUS decision legalizing same-sex marriage, that perhaps the state ought get out of the marriage business altogether, that the compelling societal interest in our domestic lives isn't what it was in generations past. At any rate, I find it difficult to see how people who prefer to consider themselves married to more than one person has any real effect on me.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  18. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The creator of "Wonder Woman" lived in a very happy and contented menage-a-trois with his wife and his research assistant from the 1920s to his death in 1948, and his surviving partners remained together until their own deaths. Even in the Era of which we so often speak, Such Things Existed. And the world did not come to an end.

scottyrocks, Zombie_61 and tonyb like this.
  19. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Meanwhile, apropos of nothing, I am really ticked off by this blizzard today, since my back has not yet stopped spasming from shoveling out from the last one. Enough with the snow already.

scottyrocks and tonyb like this.
  20. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

Having been raised by a fellow who had many a "girl on the side," which he did his typically incompetent job of concealing, I am almost reflexively skeptical of all those allegedly monogamous, one woman/one man, happy marriages. And, having been a typically gamy young man once myself, I would never argue that monogamy is in any way a natural human state.

Still, though, every person has the right to know just what sort of sexual relationship s/he is in. Debilitating and even deadly diseases are transmitted sexually. And for those who wish a one and only, any person agreeing to those terms had better abide by that agreement.

It's far, far more honorable to be in a transparently "plural" arrangement.

Zombie_61 likes this.