Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"You want discount? No discount, two weeks! NO GROCERIES FOR YOU! Next!"

104531669-soupnazi-1.530x298.jpg

St. Louis

Practically Family
I loathe those things that float down in front of a web page I'm looking at. I don't know what they are called. Usually these are images telling me to sign up for their email spam assaults. It makes me crazy with rage. I almost always close the site and spend my money elsewhere.

Anyone know what those things are called?

So ruuuuuuuuuuuuude! How dare they!

It would almost be worth my time to contact their customer service department and tell them that I closed their page without buying anything. Then, as per Lizzie, I will end with a rousing "you stink!"

I am sure that I have complained about it before, buuuuuut the jerks, who figure that because they slowed down about five to ten feet before the limit line, are entitled to blow on through the intersection that you have entered after stopping correctly at before proceeding. I really do not like those people.
:D

Last edited:

OldStrummer

Practically Family
This has probably been mentioned before (I'm just too lazy to look), but I get irked at drivers who pull up to a stop light in the left lane where that lane is both straight through and left turn, and then do not turn on their turn signal until the light turns green.

If I'd known you were going to turn left and have to wait until a break in the oncoming traffic lets you, I'd have moved to the right lane because I'm going straight through.

This is on top of those who just don't use their turn signal at all. Honestly, I think some people don't know that turn signals are not optional equipment.

This has probably been mentioned before (I'm just too lazy to look), but I get irked at drivers who pull up to a stop light in the left lane where that lane is both straight through and left turn, and then do not turn on their turn signal until the light turns green.

If I'd known you were going to turn left and have to wait until a break in the oncoming traffic lets you, I'd have moved to the right lane because I'm going straight through.

This is on top of those who just don't use their turn signal at all. Honestly, I think some people don't know that turn signals are not optional equipment.

It’s the same people who in light traffic on four-plus-lane roads get in the right lane as they approach yellow traffic signals turning red. They’re going straight once the light turns green, and the cars behind them can’t take that free right on red on account of that guy in the right lane.

...This is on top of those who just don't use their turn signal at all. Honestly, I think some people don't know that turn signals are not optional equipment.
During one of our trips to Chicago years ago it became necessary for my wife and I to follow one of her brothers from one location to another. When we arrived at the destination, her brother made a point of commenting to me on how often I had used my turn signals during that short trip. I was surprised by this because her brother is intelligent and should know better, but it was only then that I realized there were times when he hadn't used his turn signals when he should have (changing lanes on the expressway, for example), and probably only used them when he did to indicate to us, not other drivers, that we were making a turn. o_O It's such a simple thing to do, and yet...I just don't understand people sometimes.

3fingers

One Too Many
Use of turn signals seems to be conditioned behavior. In some places nearly everybody does use them and non use marks you as an outsider or just an idiot, in other towns it seems that local autos have had the lever removed. It can't be that hundreds or thousands of people in close proximity have decided independently and on their own to not bother with the courtesy. I don't get it either, but it is an observable phenomenon.

Well, it's that time of year again when our childish *expletive* neighbors can't wait for July 4th to start firing off their *expletive* fireworks--the illegal kind that make a lot of noise when they explode. The noise doesn't bother me or my wife, but as our dog has gotten older he's become more sensitive to the noise and it has now reached the point where he refuses to go outside in our back yard to "take care of business" at night. And on those now rare occasions when he takes the risk because he has to, nine times out of ten one of those idiots blows something up and he runs right back into the house. And even though he loves taking his evening walks with us, the last two days we barely got away from our property when, you guessed it, fireworks, and he couldn't wait to get back into the house. These idiots can't even wait for the sun to set. Trivial? Maybe. But "ticked off" doesn't even begin to describe how angry I am about the whole thing.

Use of turn signals seems to be conditioned behavior. In some places nearly everybody does use them and non use marks you as an outsider or just an idiot, in other towns it seems that local autos have had the lever removed. It can't be that hundreds or thousands of people in close proximity have decided independently and on their own to not bother with the courtesy. I don't get it either, but it is an observable phenomenon.

Humans are creatures of habit. I’m in the habit of using directional indicators, even when there are no other drivers near enough to know if I’ve used the signal or not.

Wouldn’t wish to get out of the habit is why. Using turn signals is an automatic, nearly mindless part of making turns or changing lanes. Hell, I signal turning into my driveway on my quiet suburban side street. At night. When all the world is asleep. Except for me. And the nocturnal vermin.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, it's that time of year again when our childish *expletive* neighbors can't wait for July 4th to start firing off their *expletive* fireworks--the illegal kind that make a lot of noise when they explode. The noise doesn't bother me or my wife, but as our dog has gotten older he's become more sensitive to the noise and it has now reached the point where he refuses to go outside in our back yard to "take care of business" at night. And on those now rare occasions when he takes the risk because he has to, nine times out of ten one of those idiots blows something up and he runs right back into the house. And even though he loves taking his evening walks with us, the last two days we barely got away from our property when, you guessed it, fireworks, and he couldn't wait to get back into the house. These idiots can't even wait for the sun to set. Trivial? Maybe. But "ticked off" doesn't even begin to describe how angry I am about the whole thing.

One of the many idiotic decisions made by our current state government in recent years was to legalize fireworks -- which immediately led to, in addition to the usual cases of the neighborhood pyromaniac getting drunk and blowing some part of himself up (the most extreme case being the buffoon who thought it would be a good idea to launch a rocket off the top of his own head), i's also created an amplified version of the situation you describe. In every neighborhood, from March to November, somebody thinks it's fun to shoot off a fusillade any night of the week, regardless of the hour. The worst part of is I live in an old neighborhood made up of closely spaced century-old wood-frame houses. And we're in the midst of what;s become our usual summer drought. A rain of sparks and smouldering bits from the sky over such neighborhoods under such conditions is just asking for an inevitable inferno. Hope that's worth the "fun."

In past years around the Fourth of July we’ve discussed how professional grade fireworks have made their way into the hands of millions of neighborhood drunks all across the Land o’ the Free, with entirely predictable results.

A couple-three years ago I attended an Independence Day party down the street from one such amateur pyrotechnician. It was mostly amusing until an errant rocket ricocheted off the side of our host’s house and exploded rather spectacularly in the side yard.

Freedumb!

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
How bout when I'm waiting to pay for gasoline at the 7-11 and the guy in front of me standing at the register continues scratching off the lottery tickets he just purchased. :mad: Unbelievable... hey buddy would ya just move it, some of us got places to be.

One of the many idiotic decisions made by our current state government in recent years was to legalize fireworks -- which immediately led to, in addition to the usual cases of the neighborhood pyromaniac getting drunk and blowing some part of himself up (the most extreme case being the buffoon who thought it would be a good idea to launch a rocket off the top of his own head), i's also created an amplified version of the situation you describe. In every neighborhood, from March to November, somebody thinks it's fun to shoot off a fusillade any night of the week, regardless of the hour. The worst part of is I live in an old neighborhood made up of closely spaced century-old wood-frame houses. And we're in the midst of what;s become our usual summer drought. A rain of sparks and smouldering bits from the sky over such neighborhoods under such conditions is just asking for an inevitable inferno. Hope that's worth the "fun."
Even "legal" fireworks are illegal in many cities in California (ours included) for a number of reasons, including the obvious fire hazards. Of course, the largely Hispanic/Latino population in our surrounding neighborhoods doesn't even bother with those, and have their mortars set up in their back yards (out of sight of those pesky Law Enforcement Officers) year-round to launch their precious bombs-bursting-in-air whenever they feel like it. Around here we don't have the wide-spread heavily-wooded areas like I imagine you have in Maine, but we do have smaller areas with that kind of natural growth and the chaparral covering the local hills is mostly dry as a bone due to the drought conditions throughout the state. Our typically suburban neighborhood is reasonably safe from that threat, but the vacant lot immediately south of ours is a section of disused railway line that has gone largely unattended since the mid-1990s and is covered by that same kind of dry chaparral; if it ignites, it could become a serious problem for us. Unfortunately, our only recourse is to be diligent and have our water hoses at the ready.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
How bout when I'm waiting to pay for gasoline at the 7-11 and the guy in front of me standing at the register continues scratching off the lottery tickets he just purchased.
Seriously? Send him over the pond, he will soon learn some new (old) Anglo Saxon profanities.

In supermarket stores and general places with large parking lots you get the moron that deliberately straddles two parking bays because he wants to protect his pride and joy. At the moment the UK is experiencing a heatwave, it's seriously hot. Moron take 2 has a Mini, ok, so it's a BMW era Mini, about the same size as a VW Golf, but if he parks width ways across two bays and into a third, his car won't get so hot because it's protected by the shade. Seeing is believing.
parking moron.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner