Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

3fingers

One Too Many
The first I remember of this outrageous behavior with shoppers actually assaulting each was in the late 1970's when the Cabbage Patch dolls were the rage of the year. That seems to have normalized the insanity we see annually. Only the products change.
I do owe the Cabbage Patch dolls gratitude though. They made me much more aware of how we were all being manipulated to serve something far from our best interests.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
ALDI has recently opened stores in the Washington, D.C. region. I went to one, but saw no reason to go again.
Aldi is hit and miss. Some of their products are outstanding in both price and quality, some are acceptable if you are looking only at price and some would be rejected by me if they were free.
The trick is to figure out which column each falls in. Once you do that you can save some money and get good quality. At least for us, Aldi is on the other side of the street from the main grocery store left in town, so it isn't out of the way to stop there.
I like Aldi for the essentials that get priced double or triple at normal stores. Things like milk, bread, eggs, and canned goods. Milk alone typically costs around $1.50 at my local Aldi, and typically over $4 at the other stores.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My wife just asked me, how many spirits are there in Long Island Tea? It was a crossword question. Neither of us had heard of Long Island Tea.

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour vodka, rum, gin, tequila, triple sec, and sour mix over ice; cover and shake. Pour cocktail into a Collins or hurricane glass; top with splash of cola for color. Garnish with a lemon slice.

I guess that the lemon slice is very important, but where's the tea? Has anyone ever had a Long Island Tea?

My wife just asked me, how many spirits are there in Long Island Tea? It was a crossword question. Neither of us had heard of Long Island Tea.

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour vodka, rum, gin, tequila, triple sec, and sour mix over ice; cover and shake. Pour cocktail into a Collins or hurricane glass; top with splash of cola for color. Garnish with a lemon slice.

I guess that the lemon slice is very important, but where's the tea? Has anyone ever had a Long Island Tea?

I've had too many, GHT. Have the headaches to prove it. There is no tea in it but with the splash of cola, triple sec and sour mix it does look like a glass of iced tea and tastes similar to sweetened ice tea. Consume with caution.

I learned early to avoid such elaborate concoctions as Long Island Iced Tea, for a couple of reasons, one being what our friend Bamaboots noted above — lots of booze in one of those things (depending on who is doing the bartending), the bite of which is masked by the triple sec and Collins mix and Coke, so the uninitiated might slam down two or three of ’em before she knows what hit her; and because I grew to prefer my poison relatively unadulterated. Brown booze either neat or on the rocks, clear (gin and vodka) mixed with tonic only.

It has always been known as a drink for teenage girls and the unaware of every age and gender. The recipe you note explains why. Being unaware myself at times - I made the mistake of drinking them, but learned early in my drinking career not to.

Edward

Bartender

It's a prohibition era cocktail in origin, hence the euphemistic name. "Tea, but not your regular tea, you know? Tea like the boys make out in Long Island, ya git me?"

Enjoyed s few of them over the years - even in a hotel in Beijing where they didn't know how to mix it so well. About as lethal as a Ginger Marlowe, though not quite as sinkable.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It has always been known as a drink for teenage girls and the unaware of every age and gender. The recipe you note explains why. Being unaware myself at times - I made the mistake of drinking them, but learned early in my drinking career not to.

Living on Long Island, I'd say, yes, I've a coupla/few. :)

They're called iced teas because they look, and (somewhat) taste like a real iced tea. But with all that liquor, they don't treat you like a real iced tea.

Why 'Long Island?' I don't know, but the most logical explanation is that they originated here.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
About as lethal as a Ginger Marlowe, though not quite as sinkable.
long.jpg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I think it's funny when the snobs get tricked. I still remember a social experiment a few years back, where a bunch of high class people were invited to a fake patio restaurant, and served various "high class" bottled waters. The guests couldn't stop raving about the bottled waters they were drinking. In reality, the hosts had been filling the glasses from the garden hose the whole time.

3fingers

One Too Many
Bottled water is proof that people will buy anything at most any price if it is convenient. I have often wondered what my grandfather would say about paying 2 bucks for a pint of tap water in a plastic bottle.
I recently saw an article discouraging people from refilling their empty bottles from the tap because it "might not be safe". The author was from the beverage industry.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's something going on with my sink water here -- when I drink it, I get nauseous. I don't know what the deal is, if there's some kind of chemical reaction in my pipes, or if we've got a Flint situation brewing here, but for most of the past year I've had no choice but to buy the bottled stuff. The water company disclaims all responsibility, of course, but whatever's in the water is causing my toilet bowl to turn gray. God only knows what it does to my stomach.

Oddly enough, the problem arose just about the same time when DuPont arrived in town to take over our local seaweed-processing plant. Wonder if they're dumping their waste in the lake when nobody's looking. Nahhhh, a fine American corporation would never do anything to put the public health to risk. The NAM knows best.

There's something going on with my sink water here -- when I drink it, I get nauseous. I don't know what the deal is, if there's some kind of chemical reaction in my pipes, or if we've got a Flint situation brewing here, but for most of the past year I've had no choice but to buy the bottled stuff. The water company disclaims all responsibility, of course, but whatever's in the water is causing my toilet bowl to turn gray. God only knows what it does to my stomach.

Oddly enough, the problem arose just about the same time when DuPont arrived in town to take over our local seaweed-processing plant. Wonder if they're dumping their waste in the lake when nobody's looking. Nahhhh, a fine American corporation would never do anything to put the public health to risk. The NAM knows best.

Call up your gov't and get the regulators on it. Maine is not a low-tax state so you should get the gov't you pay for. Also, we have Federal Agencies that are suppose to police for that activity as well that you could call.

At least in NYC - we (the taxpayers) are always lectured to not complain about our high taxes because we have a lot of gov't. Okay, well then, let's see it in action when needed. Good luck Lizzie. Also, if your intuition is correct - there would be a lot of environmental groups to call.

I'm an ardent capitalist, but there is nothing capitalistic about breaking environmental laws - that's called being corrupt and fines and jail should follow.

Among the many symptoms of decrepitude afflicting me in recent years are foot problems. I see a podiatrist every now and then to whittle away on the soles of my feet. I no longer take for granted pain-free walking.

It might be just coincidental that such difficulties have been much diminished since I stopped wearing shoes from Payless. And it might not be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21