Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can reverse park my enormous 1960 Chevy Bel Air into a parking spot like these no problem, and yet you get morons who can't park a little modern buzz box with power steering nose-in and do it straight.

Parking.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I can reverse park my enormous 1960 Chevy Bel Air into a parking spot like these no problem, and yet you get morons who can't park a little modern buzz box with power steering nose-in and do it straight.
View attachment 211133
At least the driver managed to get the car into the bay. This clip is a minute long, everything that happens is in the first fifteen seconds. Stop the clip five seconds in and try and guess what happens next.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Getting your car window shot out by a pellet gun in broad daylight in front of your workplace. Really takes the edge off a sunny Saturday afternoon.

Some uppity senior citizen type who was upset at you because, at 64 3/4, you wouldn't give them the 65 or over discount?

I jest, but the viciousness and penchant for destruction on the part of some people is disgraceful. I was out walking the dogs a while back, and about a block from me I saw a guy back into another car with a loud smash. One of my dogs is quite old (and I'm no youngster myself) but I tried to get over to the scene as quick as I could. By the time I got there and noticed the smashed quarter panel, the perp had sped off before I could get a make or a license number.

One only hopes that the gods will bring threefold retribution on a scumbag who'd do something like that. In the meantime: I'm not parking my car on the street here- ever.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, we did have a lady get very cross at the opera last week because she had to sit in the seat she'd bought the ticket for and not any seat she wanted. Imagine that. She was mad enough to write a letter to the front office complaining. It hadn't occurred to me to check and see if she was packing a weapon.

It can't have been a robbery attempt because there's nothing in my car but old newspapers, Wendy's bags, a 50 pound bag of rock salt, several burned out florescent light tubes, and a pile of books. I don't know if anyone is that desperate to get a copy of an old biography of George S. Kaufman that they'd break into a car to get it, but if so I might not be so mad. Besides, the doors were all unlocked.

I'm thinking it's just another example of random street assholery such as we have a lot of in this town. Reported it to the cops, but "what can you do?"

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Well, we did have a lady get very cross at the opera last week because she had to sit in the seat she'd bought the ticket for and not any seat she wanted. Imagine that. She was mad enough to write a letter to the front office complaining. It hadn't occurred to me to check and see if she was packing a weapon.

It can't have been a robbery attempt because there's nothing in my car but old newspapers, Wendy's bags, a 50 pound bag of rock salt, several burned out florescent light tubes, and a pile of books. I don't know if anyone is that desperate to get a copy of an old biography of George S. Kaufman that they'd break into a car to get it, but if so I might not be so mad. Besides, the doors were all unlocked.

I'm thinking it's just another example of random street assholery such as we have a lot of in this town. Reported it to the cops, but "what can you do?"

A word to the wise in MidCoast: the hand that holds the marquee letters rules the world.

upload_2020-2-8_17-10-22.png

GHT

I'll Lock Up
One only hopes that the gods will bring threefold retribution on a scumbag who'd do something like that. In the meantime: I'm not parking my car on the street here- ever.
Before her retirement my wife was a paramedic, and a full time witch. One day, responding to an emergency call, her partner was driving, when the driver of a super fast Audi, overtook them and cut in dangerously. Too fast to get a number my wife said: "A hex on you." Half a mile later the driver of the Audi was standing by his car, the front and rear offside tyres both punctured. Back at Ambulance Station, my wife's partner was telling everyone: "Whatever you do, don't ever cross her." She dined out on that for months.
It can't have been a robbery attempt because there's nothihe mind ng in my car but old newspapers, Wendy's bags, a 50 pound bag of rock salt.
50 pound bag of rock salt? The mind boggles.
Selecting some 20 grocery items online, only to find out you can't change the delivery address from work to home.
Surely an email to the company telling them that their competitors can change the delivery address, and if they can't, don't expect your business. Sometimes you just have to kick ass.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
50 pound bag of rock salt? The mind boggles.

My guess it's for de-icing the sidewalk/pavement in front of the movie house (or Lizzie's home)
Apparently there are a few regions in the northern hemisphere, for the time being at least, that still have a winter.
Hopefully Ciara won't do too much damage to the beautiful New Forest.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My guess it's for de-icing the sidewalk/pavement in front of the movie house (or Lizzie's home)
Apparently there are a few regions in the northern hemisphere, for the time being at least, that still have a winter.
Of course, I really should have thought about de-icing. That was one of the benefits of city living, there were large containers of rock salt sited around the streets, as well as salt spreading trucks.
Ciara is proving to be quite blustery, part of the perimeter fence to the rear of my property is a large patch of bamboo. It's amazing how it can bend when the wind gets hold of it. I'm impressed that you know of storm Ciara, not so impressed by the storm though.
Caira.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Pay attention and avoid public transportation as much as possible, these days.

Usually, I don't get sick, underways. But I went by train, two days in succession, some days ago. Then was a little incubation time and two days ago, it broke out. But it's just a light classic infection of HNO (neck/nose/ears) and luckily no real sniffles.

No need for visiting uncle doc, just doing the best for this case: BED + GOOD OLD SAGE TEA! :)

Even already yesterday, it went better in the afternoon and today, it's nearly beaten.

Yeah; here in London, there's just ageneral acceptance that when cold season hits, we'll all get it because we take the tube!

Or the coronavirus will getcha ! :D

Ha, don't joke - I'm supposed to be teaching in China in April!! Our term with our partner out there was meant to begin in March, but the Beijing Principal's office has, obviously, put it back at least a fortnight with the current emergency. Some of my colleagues are already having to record video lectures instead of going to Beijing to teach in person. I remember the bird flu striking in 2006 a few months before my first visit to China, but there's never been anythingl ike as widespread or as concerning as this before.

It will probably mutate into Huawei 5G. :rolleyes:

Naughty!

Likely, though good to report these things for stats. Sadly, frustrating as it is to report things that you know nothing either will or can be done about, if the true scale of the problem isn't made apparent, it'll never be considered a high enough priority to be properly funded. S'why I reported an incident of racial harassment I faced last year.

Apparently my home and work are in different regions. o_O

You might never have to pay tax again! :D ;)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Ciara has contributed to a new world record:
A British Airways flight propelled by a 265mph tailwind flew from New York to London in under five hours, setting a subsonic passenger jet record. The Boeing 747 landed at Heathrow at 4.43am on Sunday after a journey time of just four hours and 56 minutes, and having reached a top speed of 825mph. The flight was scheduled to land at 06.25am but arrived 102 minutes early. The flight typically takes six-and-half hours while the average cruising speed of a passenger jet is 575mph. According to the online tracking service Flightradar24, the BA flight was three minutes quicker than a Virgin Atlantic Airbus A350.

I measure the severity of winter here by the number of bags of rock salt I go thru -- this has been a mild two-bag winter. It wasn't so long ago that ten-bag winters were common, and one year we had a sixteen-bag winter. That one nearly killed me.

That stuff is hell on the pavement, ain’t it?

Many busy retail establishments around here have to repour their concrete sidewalks every few years, figuring, I suppose, that its better to salt the hell out of the concrete than to find themselves liable for injuries sustained by slipping on ice.

We had our concrete driveway repoured shortly after we moved in. I don’t salt it or use any other deicing agents. I shovel. And shovel. And occasionally fire up the snowblower. But I keep bags of the stuff on hand, for occasional use on the covered outside steps leading into the basement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana