So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by GHT, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

As a usually working, currently unemployed, stiff, I can't generally afford to enlist the aid of professionals and, in any case, I like learning new skills. One thing I have learned is to not throw myself into undoing something rashly without being sure if I can put it back together. At least after tentatively messing around with the chair, I realized that I might have to replace the canvas altogether, or at the very least was going to have to back off and maybe come up with a way of tying the springs down rather than weighing them with a couple of boxes full of books and some chunks of cinder block. Life ain't much if you don't keep learning things, keep trying to know more than what you did yesterday, and when did I become Little Orphan Annie?

Turnip and LizzieMaine like this.
  2. Just Jim

Just Jim One of the Regulars

This isn't a bad approach, but I'd like to suggest a possible modification: before beginning have a time frame for completion in mind, and a plan to "dispose of the evidence" if you can't complete the task within that time frame.

Zombie_61 and Nobert like this.
  3. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Oh yeah. Almost all my screwups were due to impatience and/or ignorance. And that ignorance often was born of impatience, my not taking the time to learn what all was involved before jumping in.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Nobert likes this.
  4. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Is it normal, that a dentist got bad mood, if someone comes just to get a second opinion?

Maybe it hadn't to do with me, but me feeling was so.

But the good side is, that I got the "second opinion". :)

5. Trenchfriend

Are boot cut jeans really so "down to earth"? o_O
    :D

6. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

If you don’t hem ’em up they might be.

Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  7. Trenchfriend

I don't like low-floor tram! It's like driving in semi-U boat. Nah.

8. Edward

Edward Bartender

Every D@mn year, the culture war of the shrieking brigade howling about a supposed "war on Christmas". And now the new addition to the annual snowflake fest: straight people howling with entitlement about "not being allowed" to use a homophobic slur in a much-loved Christmas song when even the two guys who wrote the song have been saying for nigh on thirty years that they don't mind it being omitted....

LizzieMaine likes this.
  9. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

Pity Dustin Hoffman. He got into the chair of a German dentist in a really bad mood:

Just Jim, Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  10. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

"If you prefer to walk the extra length off your new jeans rather than hem them, you might be a redneck."
    -- Jeff Foxworthy

At 39 seconds.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Turnip likes this.
  11. Trenchfriend

12. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

These things are a genuine PITA to be rid of. After several minutes of attempting to bag ’em up, with the miserable things clinging to me and the side of the box (and my shirt) and falling on the floor, I just made sure I had all the stuff the peanuts were protecting removed and put the little white devils back in the box and taped it shut. Now I have to get one of those big ol’ black plastic “contractor” bags to wrap the box in, lest the garbage man break the box open and let the wind scatter the things all over the neighborhood.

6C43EC80-785C-41A1-B43D-60CA34629BF9.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    ChrisB and Zombie_61 like this.
  13. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Time for my annual reminder that the "war on Christmas" thesis originated in the 1950s, in the teachings of the noted anti-Semitic, Nazi-leaning "Reverend" Gerald L. K. Smith. This worthy taught that Jewish businessmen created the myth of Santa Claus as a way to de-Christianize the holiday. The latter day adopters of the theory leave that part out -- at least in public -- but they swallow the rest of Smith's package whole, right down to the ridiculous idea that the historical abbreviation "Xmas" is a method of "x-ing" out Christ.

Few of the traditions we associate with Christmas date back much further than the middle of the nineteenth century. Christmas wasn't a Federal holiday in the United States until 1870.

Edward, tonyb and Turnip like this.
  14. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^
    In my earliest years I got the sense that “Xmas” was somehow anti-religious, but no one leaving me with that impression ever articulated the reason for that thinking. It just was, like all those other things the grownups didn’t wish to discuss, not so much for my benefit as their own.

At some point I figured that the X was a symbol for Christ, that guy who got nailed to a pair of crossed lines and died a slow and agonizing death thereon. (Helluva way to go, eh?) So it seemed an even more Christ-affirming expression, what with the allusion to the events of Holy Week. I mean, hell, there’s nothing extraordinary in being born. But that rising from the dead stuff? That’s noteworthy.

Edward and Zombie_61 like this.
  15. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

That’s first fundamental theorem of thermodynamics.

:)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  16. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Hit the nail on its head. My brother who lives in North Carolina dropped me off at my apartment
    after a nephew's wedding reception, passing our high school, and remarked wouldn't it be a trip
    to go back in time... And I replied only if I could return to those days knowing what I know now.
    There was a Lufthansa stewardess I declined a date with in New York once, bachelor in a hurry to
    catch another flight, should have rerouted the trip, my life, everything that time. :(;)

Trenchfriend likes this.
  17. Trenchfriend

I think, Starship's No Protection is a really underrated album, today. Everytime, I can't get enough of Mickey and Grace!

18. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

When the water from the faucet trickles down my long sleeve(s) while washing my hands.

tonyb and Bushman like this.
  19. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

There are quite a few pedestrians around here that assert that same right to the road. Many of them can be seen weaving in and out of four lanes of traffic as it is moving which requires a sudden stop by all. Idiots!

20. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^
    Yeah, that behavior oughta get penalized. A fine of several hundred dollars per infraction might go a long way toward curbing the practice, provided there is active enforcement. Penalties are meaningless if the scofflaws expect never to be cited.

Touchofevil and Edward like this.