Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It gets so complicated. Sweet mustard? Sharp mustard? Mustard with Kren (horseradish)? American ketchup? Curry ketchup? And let’s not even talk about the appropriate use of Mayo. Sometimes I wish I’d never left home.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Ketchup on hot dogs.

"Nobody, and I mean nobody, puts ketchup on a hot dog".

-Harry Callahan

I was squeezing mustard over a Chicago Dogs dog at Las Vegas airport and loading up with all
the other stuff when a Chinese gentleman approached and asked for some advice regarding said
condiment. I explained in Chicago ketchup on a dog was strictly illegal, an offense subject to arrest,
fine, and imprisonment. He nodded and proceeded to stack it right.

Then, after I had rendered assistance he announces he's a White Sox fan.:eek:
I passed him the ketchup.:D

For some inexplicable reason, the White Sox seem to have ingratiated themselves in China.o_O

Last edited:

Hercule

Practically Family
I just got a phone call with an automated voice telling me my social security number had been suspended due to suspicious activity. That's a new one on me.

Speaking of phone scams, my mother in law (in Pennsylvania) got one a couple of weeks ago claiming that my son (15, in Ohio) was involved in an accident and because the driver of the car didn't have insurance he was in jail, and because he didn't want us, his parents to know, she needed to send $6000 for bail. They knew my son's name and the connection to her. She called us quite upset and didn't believe he was ok until my wife took the phone upstairs (he was in school/distance learning) and had him say hello to her. She did call the number they gave her for a the case number but didn't go so far as to initiate a money transfer. I would think that she would normally know better, I'm sure she would, but was just caught off guard early in the morning. I tell you these things can really catch you off guard (after all who expects such a thing?) and put a fright into you - I've gotten one from the IRS before. It's nice that for a while now my phone usually displays the number and a "scam likely message." Not sure why it didn't earlier.

Last edited:
I have to admit that with all this talk of hot dogs I did go to the freezer to see if we have any for an afternoon snack. Alas, hot Italian sausage and kielbasa was the closest I could come up with so I settled for some pringles and cold coffee.
I would probably have gone with the sausages. Kielbasa tastes more like hot dogs, but won't fit in a hot dog bun. :D

Hercule

Practically Family
Sausages would be too much work, and I just wanted a snack - I'm fine with microwaving the dog and wrapping it in a bit of white bread with yellow mustard. The Kielbasa was what was left from our meal with perogies the other night. A bit of kielbasa is ok in a meal but I find I can't do much at all any more. It really does a job on me. it REALLY SUCKS getting older!

Hercule

Practically Family
Use a crusty sub roll. That's the perfect bed for a kielbasa.

Our local hot dog stand gets rather arch if a customer asks for ketchup. They have it, but they'll shame you for asking for it. In the Northeast it just isn't done. The real accompaniment for a weenie is Gulden's mustard like God and Harry M. Stevens intended.

We can get sausage rolls at the bakery in our grocery store. Best with poppy seeds. Gulden's is alright and I don't mind it. I just never developed a real taste for it. I use it and it's ilk these days in a mustardy cream sauce with onions that I serve with pork chops.

Actually I have a fond memory of getting hot dogs at 7-11 with my dad - this had to be early 70s. They dogs and their buns were steamed. Nice and light and fluffy. No condiments for me, just dog and a bun! (otherwise light mustard and kraut)

...Our local hot dog stand gets rather arch if a customer asks for ketchup. They have it, but they'll shame you for asking for it. In the Northeast it just isn't done. The real accompaniment for a weenie is Gulden's mustard like God and Harry M. Stevens intended.
There's a burger chain here called The Habit Burger Grill that has the ketchup they use specially made for them...allegedly. I don't know if that's true, but their ketchup on their fries is the only time I use ketchup; otherwise, I can't stand the stuff.

Gulden's Mustard isn't bad, but there are other "hot" mustard's I prefer if I'm in the mood. Mostly though, good old French's Yellow Mustard tops my list every time.

Haversack

One Too Many
Henry V Plantagenet* had something to say about this: "War without fire is like sausages without mustard".

*The historic king. Not the one in the play. His chevauchées into France were noted for their burning and pillaging.

Haversack

One Too Many
In the German speaking world, currywurst absolutely requires curryketchup. On the other hand, "Ein Parr mit Senf" will get you two bratwurst on a hard-crusted roll with mustard. One caveat is that the mustard common to one region is not the same in another. In my experience, Bavaria's standard mustard is mild while the Rheinland's will ream your sinuses out.

earl

A-List Customer
There's a burger chain here called The Habit Burger Grill that has the ketchup they use specially made for them...allegedly. I don't know if that's true, but their ketchup on their fries is the only time I use ketchup; otherwise, I can't stand the stuff.

Gulden's Mustard isn't bad, but there are other "hot" mustard's I prefer if I'm in the mood. Mostly though, good old French's Yellow Mustard tops my list every time.
Not a mustard fan. As for my dogs, whatever I use must have some good heat to it when applied. Lately, have been using ketchup, but first I lay down a bead of horseradish sauce and then a bead of ketchup. Ketchup alone definitely wouldn't cut it.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I have to admit that with all this talk of hot dogs I did go to the freezer to see if we have any for an afternoon snack. Alas, hot Italian sausage and kielbasa was the closest I could come up with so I settled for some pringles and cold coffee.

Cold coffee and pizza; also works double with Italian sausage and kielbasa, but pringles?o_O

Midnight snack: cold chicken, peanut butter on fresh sourdough.
Hits the spot.:)

Last edited:
When I see the school girls, that ticks me off! The actual trend are black leggings on all temperatures. I always want to scream: "Girl, dress warm, it's 0°C!"

The 36 y old fart, I am...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112