Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Drinks, good topic!
Because I'm strolling around on regional german brewery homepages, right now:

How much is difference between bottle-beer and barrel-beer in the US??

In Germany, it's enormous. You can drink every beer from the barrel, in my opinion! But from the bottle, baaah...

It's not just the difference in CO2, the whole taste is different.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
:p
It's definitely a regional thing. Unlike the famed Fenway brown mustard previously mentioned, the Chicago preference is for French's yellow variety. Add some diced onions, a sliced dill spear, and of course, a dash of celery salt, and I'm good: I personally forgo the slices of tomato. And lettuce or cuke slices turn the thing into a salad bar fiasco, in my opinion.

There was a Nathan's franchise on the Near North Side for many years, so New York hot dogs were an option for a while in Chicago when I lived there as well. (I understand that there's a franchise in Hyde Park on the South Side now.) I'm not enough of a chauvinist to deliberately turn up my nose at a good thing no matter where it comes from, but I personally love my Nathan's Red Hots best after a ride on the Cyclone and the Wonder Wheel at Coney Island. I love sauerkraut on my Nathan dogs, with a schmeer of brown mustard.

And speaking of the Cubs: do they still serve those Oscar Meyer Smoky Links at Wrigley? They were amazing.

Nathan's is served at Hines VA and whenever I am there I make it a point to stop at the Canteen
for two jumbo dogs loaded down and topped with hot chili and cheese.
If the Coney Island sauer n' smidge walk the dog is okeydog, why not go the whole nine yards
salad bar Chicago Bears shuffle?:p

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Drinks, good topic!
In Germany, it's enormous. You can drink every beer from the barrel, in my opinion! But from the bottle, baaah...

Depends on the pub, staff and equipment in my opinion. You can also get the best tasting beer screwed up to worst there, fresh from the barrel.

As usual taste impressions also depend on the glass, temperature...so beer from the bottle can taste totally different from different glass types at different temperatures.

Just like with Malt, Rum, Bourbon, Wine...

Drinks, good topic!
Because I'm strolling around on regional german brewery homepages, right now:

How much is difference between bottle-beer and barrel-beer in the US??

Your taste buds are more refined than mine.

I gave up the sauce 14 years ago, but prior to that I was a daily drinker. And I was something of a reverse snob — none of that “craft” beer or “microbrews” for me. That high-priced swill was just yuppie beer, in my book.

But I learned that it was markedly better than, say, Miller or Budweiser or Hamm’s. It was considerably more expensive, too, but it wasn’t that they gave away the stuff from the major breweries.

A brew pub I frequented sold their product “to go,” for 10 bucks a gallon. That’s just a buck and a quarter per pint. So a lush could drink the good stuff without feeling too darned profligate.

Hercule

Practically Family
Anybody else notice that Chrome has started redirecting to ads when clicking on bookmarked favorites or other links? This has been something new for me in the last week or so. Not every time but maybe every 5th or sixth click on a link goes to an ad and not the intended link.

One thing, that I find asbolutely astonishing!:

When you're looking Youtube, you can see, that seemingly even young couples or singles still make the disgusting tasting classic manual or automatic german filter(bag)coffee!!
I think, this must have something to do with their family or the whole relatives. I have no other explanation for this.

I mean, many in my relatives of classic Germans did this, too. But there was still instant coffee or other stuff around, too, which tastes better in general, even the low end stuff, in my opinion!

I mean, come on, the classic filter(bag)coffee still tastes like brown brackish water and the sugar can't save much, because the water stays too long in the filterbag and with bad filterbags, you have the filterbag's taste in your coffee, too, yuck!

Last edited:
^^^^^
I wish I had a clearer understanding of just what is getting lost in translation here.

What is “disgusting tasting classic manual or automatic German filter(bag) coffee”? Is that what we call “drip coffee” over here?

I drink coffee on ice, mostly, and have for years. I make it extra strong in an automatic drip maker and with the espresso machine. With both methods, pouring the hot coffee over ice dilutes it considerably. If I made it weaker than I do, it would be too “thin.”

Good coffee is good cold. This eliminates pretty much all of the canned robusta coffees. But I confess that it’s hard to beat the aroma of a gurgling percolator. Those “classic” canned coffees made in a percolator are more than palatable fresh. But if that pot has been sitting more than a half hour or so? Well, if you’re going into caffeine withdrawal, you might be able to choke it down, but it’s a bitter pill indeed.

^^^^^
I wish I had a clearer understanding of just what is getting lost in translation here.

What is “disgusting tasting classic manual or automatic German filter(bag) coffee”? Is that what we call “drip coffee” over here?

I drink coffee on ice, mostly, and have for years. I make it extra strong in an automatic drip maker and with the espresso machine. With both methods, pouring the hot coffee over ice dilutes it considerably. If I made it weaker than I do, it would be too “thin.”

Good coffee is good cold. This eliminates pretty much all of the canned robusta coffees. But I confess that it’s hard to beat the aroma of a gurgling percolator. Those “classic” canned coffees made in a percolator are more than palatable fresh. But if that pot has been sitting more than a half hour or so? Well, if you’re going into caffeine withdrawal, you might be able to choke it down, but it’s a bitter pill indeed.

Yeah, dripper coffee. Automatic machine or manual brew.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was little and we were visiting one of my aunts, I'd always sneak into her pantry, pull down her can of Chase & Sanborn, pull the lid off, and *sniffffffff* it. We never had coffee at my house, and my grandparents only ever had Instant Sanka. So grocery-store canned coffee was a strange and exotic thing, and it smelled like nothing else I ever knew.

I wanted to learn to drink coffee when I got older, but it turned I couldn't stomach the stuff. Always thought it tasted like burnt pencils, and it upset my digestion terribly. So to this day all I can do is *snifffffffffff* it.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
But I confess that it’s hard to beat the aroma of a gurgling percolator. Those “classic” canned coffees made in a percolator are more than palatable fresh. But if that pot has been sitting more than a half hour or so? Well, if you’re going into caffeine withdrawal, you might be able to choke it down, but it’s a bitter pill indeed.

Picked up egg coffee in Louisiana, made in a percolator; occasionally brew it today.
Found the Beverly Bakery here on Chicago's south side offers coffee from around the globe
and the best java is Peruvian, Costa Rican, or grown in Chiapas, Mexico. Delicious scored either
at the café or home with Mr. Coffee.:)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It would seem that Sanka actually *is* Kaffee HAG, thanks to the World War I-era seizure of the trademark as war booty in the US. It was sold to the Kellogg's company who continued to sell the brand into the late thirties. But the owner of the original company used the same formula to start the Sanka brand, resulting in two identical products using different names.

In the early thirties, Kellogg's sponsored a late night radio program called "Kaffee HAG Slumber Music," which was specifically designed to put you to sleep.

One thing, that I find asbolutely astonishing!:

When you're looking Youtube, you can see, that seemingly even young couples or singles still make the disgusting tasting classic manual or automatic german filter(bag)coffee!!
I think, this must have something to do with their family or the whole relatives. I have no other explanation for this.

I mean, many in my relatives of classic Germans did this, too. But there was still instant coffee or other stuff around, too, which tastes better in general, even the low end stuff, in my opinion!

I mean, come on, the classic filter(bag)coffee still tastes like brown brackish water and the sugar can't save much, because the water stays too long in the filterbag and with bad filterbags, you have the filterbag's taste in your coffee, too, yuck!
Simple solution: Don't drink coffee. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It would seem that Sanka actually *is* Kaffee HAG, thanks to the World War I-era seizure of the trademark as war booty in the US.

Yeah, the same origin by Mr. Roselius.

But Mondelez International has only 49% on Jacobs Douwe Egberts (Netherlands), which produces good old Kaffee HAG, actually. The other 51% are in the hands of Acorn Holdings (Family Reimann, J.A.B. Holding, "coffee concern").

But Sanka is seemingly from todays Kraft Foods USA, so it should be not the same product from Europe.

It’s been so long since I’ve drank instant coffee thst it couldn’t tell you when that might have been. Decades, anyway.

I do recall that Taster’s Choice was the best of it that I ever sampled.

Hercule

Practically Family
It’s been so long since I’ve drank instant coffee thst it couldn’t tell you when that might have been. Decades, anyway.

I do recall that Taster’s Choice was the best of it that I ever sampled.

I can remember drinking Taster's Choice loaded down with coffee-mate and lots of sugar when I was a kid, maybe younger than 12. Haven't had it since.

Actually, I like the idea of instant coffee but don't have the courage to go through the process of finding one that actually tastes like coffee. Frankly, I sincerely doubt there is one. Of course, there really isn't that much more effort to make real coffee.

I can remember drinking Taster's Choice loaded down with coffee-mate and lots of sugar when I was a kid, maybe younger than 12. Haven't had it since.

Actually, I like the idea of instant coffee but don't have the courage to go through the process of finding one that actually tastes like coffee. Frankly, I sincerely doubt there is one. Of course, there really isn't that much more effort to make real coffee.

Try bio instant coffee. Usually, they taste different. And freeze-dried.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran