Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tried instant coffee once, and only once, because a) it didn't taste like coffee, and b) I didn't like whatever it did taste like.

Same here, though I tried more often, and the very worst I had so far has been that „Turkish“ coffee that used to be served in GDR...:eek:
Don’t know what Trench’s relatives are used to brew but pure Arabica can taste really nice when drip brewed. Of course not like from an Italian steam machine but worlds better than any of that instant stuff I tried so far, no matter what brand.

Of course they are. When money is no object you can treat yourself to some of the world's finest works of art. Not something that I would buy, even if the price was in pennies. https://www.iloboyou.com/ridiculous-paintings-sold-for-millions/

I like much of that art, the Rothkos especially.

However, there is an absurdity in billionaires spending millions for works of “name” art while many very good artists are left to eke out a meager living by waiting tables and driving taxicabs. It’s as if the more money a person has, the more he needs another person’s imprimatur. So I’m left thinking that the point of owning a very expensive work of art is that it’s a very expensive work of art. It’s as if to say, I have so much money I can spend several peoples’ lifetime incomes on something with no intrinsic value.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
When you roll out of your sleeping bag into the cold Rocky Mountain morning air, there is simply no such thing as a "bad" cup of coffee.

Or are involved in any kind of army field exercise.

Or are at sea on day 17 of 18 straight.

Or you arrive at the JAG office Monday morning, they have not filled the water reservoir in the coffee maker which takes ten minutes even if full to prepare it, and there is still some from Friday in the insulated carafe, well, you see where I went on that day...

The "art racket" is a racket same as any other. "Exit Through The Gift Shop" is a profound expose on just how corrupt and self-absorbed the Big Time Art World really is.

I buy membership to a local museum of “fine and decorative arts.” In the before times I visited monthly or so, which had the annual membership fee amortized in about six months.

The “decorative” arts are furniture and tableware and other items of utility in everyday life (one display had a WE 302 on a deco office desk). There’s no good reason that a water pitcher, say, shouldn’t be an attractive water pitcher. It makes everyday life a little better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred