Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Harp

I'll Lock Up

^^^^^Shakespeare^^^^^

To die, to sleep
No more, and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to...

Hamlet, III; I

GHT

I'll Lock Up
zombie.jpg
What is this? A new member?

Edward

Bartender
“Tripe” also means something like “nonsense, balderdash, rubbish, BS, etc.”

It’s not often heard, but it isn’t all that obscure a term, either.

Not as common over here as it once was, but common enough in England. Certainly I should think that secondary meaning is more commonly understood than what it is as a foodstuff.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Chicago Cubs trade Lester and Chatwood. No doubt, had to hear it over NPR first thing
while waiting for coffee. NPR did Darvish to me too. Like walking in to a right cross, no joe,
just disbelief. Java helps salve scenario. Doesn't change anything, of course. Cubs lost moolah,
moolah last year and this season looks a bust. And, the liberals at NPR do not give any bombshell
advance notice, or a college campus time out, just throw the bomb inside curve stuff.
Chatwood doesn't bother, he had issues on and off field, head problems, lost his stuff,
couldn't stick with the rotation, demoted to bull pen hold. But every once while Chat had heat
when it counted. Lester, age catching up to him, trade bait, but still had another season.
Kimbrell, the monster Theo brought in, cannot reliably close either. Maybe the next head to
roll in the sawdust. Meanwhile, listening to the liberals provide some comic relief.
Nothing meant to be political here. Politik verboten. Okay. But these libs really spin the ball.

Ha, great pix. Looks like one of the guys on my old team after a lurp. Zombie, ya got the best avatars.
I really liked the one before. And this new one is good too.:)
Thank you Sir! The truth is that I get bored easily, so when something catches my eye that I think might make for a good avatar I give it a shot; the ones I really like are the ones that stick around for a while. The jury is still out on my latest, but the previous short-lived one just wasn't right for the atmosphere here.

Another topic:

Do you use "room-freshener"?
I bought one of these funny alien-lookin' from storebrand just for fun, to see how it works. The intensity seems to be very well balanced. It's not stinking or pushing itself to the fore!
But I can't really see the point of "refreshing". Yes, it gives a decent scent to the room, but I would call it a "fragranter", not "refresher".
This one is lavender, eucalyptus and cedar wood. But the eucalyptus doesn't really fit into the mix. Gives a touch of bathroom products. ;)

But in the end, the fragrance of this one is so decent, that you can question, why you should use it. Just a funny thing to try once.

Attachments

• IMGP7886.JPG
    IMGP7886.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,645

Artifex

Familiar Face
I certainly find it irritating when fragrance emitters are promoted as 'air fresheners'. Fresh air is what you get on top of a mountain, or out of a really good filtration system.

At least in the UK, public conveniences are often "freshened" with overpowering masking agents. I can see why, but it's hardly an improvement!

I recall when it was a common practice to move much of the household furnishings outdoors to “air out” when a several day stretch of dry, warm springtime weather was in the forecast. This was in Wisconsin, where the winters were long and cold and houses stayed pretty well buttoned-up for several months and people smoked indoors and cooked greasy foods and kids wet their beds and, and, and ...

It was in much more recent times when I mentioned to a young person how I preferred to dry laundry and bedding outdoors, on the line, because it smelled so much better than what came out of the dryer, even when a perfumed dryer sheet is used, and she had no idea what I was talking about. She asked me to describe the smell and I couldn’t really come up with a good answer. I told her just to try it sometime.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I recall when it was a common practice to move much of the household furnishings outdoors to “air out” when a several day stretch of dry, warm springtime weather was in the forecast. This was in Wisconsin, where the winters were long and cold and houses stayed pretty well buttoned-up for several months and people smoked indoors and cooked greasy foods and kids wet their beds and, and, and ...

It was in much more recent times when I mentioned to a young person how I preferred to dry laundry and bedding outdoors, on the line, because it smelled so much better than what came out of the dryer, even when a perfumed dryer sheet is used, and she had no idea what I was talking about. She asked me to describe the smell and I couldn’t really come up with a good answer. I told her just to try it sometime.

I open my doors throughout the year for fresh air. I have never bought a perfumed air fresh product in my life. Disgusting smell that provokes nasal bleed. I have never used a dryer (not sure what a perfumed sheet is, but it sounds dire). I dry stuff on a rack inside when cold, on my balcony when warm. Dryers are unnecessary in this town even with the rain and cold.

I open my doors throughout the year for fresh air. I have never bought a perfumed air fresh product in my life. Disgusting smell that provokes nasal bleed. I have never used a dryer (not sure what a perfumed sheet is, but it sounds dire). I dry stuff on a rack inside when cold, on my balcony when warm. Dryers are unnecessary in this town even with the rain and cold.

Sounds like another good reason to consider relocating to your part of the world.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, I wouldn't have a clothes dryer if you gave it to me. Can't stand the texture or the smell of dryer-dried fabric, and one of the best things about Maine is that we have an actual Right To Dry Law on the books banning landlords, homeowners associations, condo boards, subdivisions, or muncipalities from restricting in any way the use of outdoor clotheslines. I've had one all my life, and always will.

Contrary to common belief, a clothesline works just as well on a bitter cold day as it does in the summer sun. The water freezes and then sublimates into the atmosphere, and you end up with the freshest washing you ever smelled.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We have a garden structure that looks part shed, part greenhouse. It houses our rather large upright freezer, but it's main purpose is to dry clothes. There's a locating hole in the floor for a rotary airer, no matter what the weather throws at us, in our drying shed it's always perfect drying condition.

Contrary to common belief, a clothesline works just as well on a bitter cold day as it does in the summer sun. The water freezes and then sublimates into the atmosphere, and you end up with the freshest washing you ever smelled.

Sublimation is an old rug-cleaning method as well. I’ve tried it myself, to mixed effect. (I have a slew of hand-knotted tribal rugs, mostly Persian, none of which is particularly valuable on its own.) Once the rugs are thoroughly vacuumed and beaten they are rolled out on fresh snow, have more snow tossed upon them and swept vigorously. Then they’re shaken out and hung out to sublimate, which is solid water turning to gas without stopping long at the liquid phase. The thinking is that because the rugs never really get wet the natural dyes won’t run.

earl

A-List Customer
Yep, I wouldn't have a clothes dryer if you gave it to me. Can't stand the texture or the smell of dryer-dried fabric, and one of the best things about Maine is that we have an actual Right To Dry Law on the books banning landlords, homeowners associations, condo boards, subdivisions, or muncipalities from restricting in any way the use of outdoor clotheslines. I've had one all my life, and always will.

Some 30+ years ago we had a clothes line and my wife was on a jag about pinning clothes outside. I said fine but I forbid her from hangin my undies for all to see.:p

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Listening to NPR, and half expecting another Cubs baseball bombshell, when instead the reliable
station brought an unctuous Jesuit forward to remark the foibles and faults of Catholicism's broad
tent by asking explanation for apparent discrepancies theological between one female Supreme Court
justice and another Catholic who sits, somewhere else in Washington, District of Conservatives.

Ignatius, slicker than owl shit on a walnut banister, preached the Order's odd home grown
Judgemente non obstente veredicto-vae victus veritas pablum so typical
of the Georgetown theology lecture hall-cocktail circuit Catholic-lite spitball gospel.
No baseball bombshell, just post-game inaugural unorthodoxy inside curves.o_O

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider