Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another trivial gripe ...

If you make mention of "hippie" (which, whenever it is done in this joint, is almost done disparagingly), could you at least spell it that way? It's not "hippy," which, in my dictionary, is an adjective.

Yes, I know, "hippy" is often listed as an alternate spelling of "hippie," but I ain't buying it.

"Hippy" had a very different meaning in the Era -- it was perjorative urban African-American slang for a white man who overenthusiastically emulated black culture. "Hippie," in the sense of a long-haired dope-smoking college-age kid, was coined by a San Francisco newspaper columnist in the mid-sixties, and was not related to this earlier usage.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I broke down & bought a “smart” phone !
2pqm9f8.jpg

Now I can keep up with all the trivial things that ticks everyone off ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
2ag0yyo.jpg

The clock on the wall is an old friend that tick-tocks me to sleep .

I tried reading the telephone directory to fall asleep.

But wound up calling strangers on the rotary phone in the middle of the night! :confused:

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
But I wound up calling strangers on the rotary phone in the middle of the night! :confused:
That picture looks like a promotional ad for a 1940's Film Noir detective. I love it. I have a rotary, finger dial phone, a 50's model in red. Set it up on a small coffee table with a late model art deco clock, added a 50's 35mm camera with its leather case, and even with the period lampshade, just couldn't recreate your superb photo. Not even when I photoshopped it into black & white.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
My grandma had an old Singer kind of like that. One day she was using it and my mom was playing around underneath. Grandma ended up with the needle straight through her finger to the other side.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
This was the type of Singer my grandma owned. It was foot-pedal .
i6m5q8.jpg

I can imagine how it might have happen. Ouch ...big time !
Oh, my mom was a good kid basically but would do things....One time Grandma planned on strawberry shortcake for dessert and had some whipping cream chilling in the fridge. Mom drank it all and replaced it with milk. Grandma was whipping and whipping and it wouldn't whip when it finally dawned on her...the next thing Mom knew she heard her name from the kitchen. "Breeennnndaaaa!!!!!!!" I asked why she did that and she answered, laughing, "Because it tasted so good!"

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Breeennnndaaaa!!!!!!!” ....

Poor Brenda !

What I did in similar circumstances was pretty pathetic,

I'd run out the door to avoid a spanking....

Looking back, I could see the look that only a mother can give
& the words that followed...
“ Just wait, sooner or later you going to come back!”

But this was worse...

“Wait until your father comes home, boy are you gonna get it !

:(

Last edited:
The nonstop and immediate request to "review your purchase," "complete a survey about your experience," "tell us how we did" for everything from buying a pair of socks on-line to calling Apple's help line.

Even my dentist - a three dentist practice - sends out a survey request after every single visit.

Time Warner - a horrible customer service company (the only way it could get worse would be if the service guy punched you in the face when you opened the door for him) - calls within the hour of every call you have with the company asking you to "take a brief survey to tell us about your experience" (or some such other saccharine verbiage).

Like so many things today, a good idea has been taken to the extreme so it loses all value and you get completely turned off to it. If it was taken seriously, Time Warner would survey less and instead try to implement some of the changes that I am 100% comfortable that many others and I have provided them in past surveys - for many years.

Now these request are just more noise spit out by our culture (it happens with charities and the government, too, so it's not just businesses - although, businesses are the worst offenders). I ignore them as I'm sure many do, so the feedback these entities get is incomplete and not representative of its full customer base, but I'm sure (I've worked in Corporate America) that fact is ignored when an "action team" is put together to "create a response plan" to these three or five or whatever issues some manager or management team deems critical from the last survey results.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
As a retail employee I apologize. Actually, I'm supposed to talk about the stupid survey and I never do. Don't put my name on it either. If I did, they'd know who to blame. As a customer, if I want to give feedback to a company (which I try to do when it's positive--not enough of those responses) I do a little search on the website to find out how. I don't need it shoved in my face.

Oh, and I just had that experience with Time Warner. I can't lift or move very heavy things and I did my best to move the easy chair out even further for him. He got impatient and picked it up and tossed it. Good thing it was going to the dump that week anyway. Well, I'll see it as the price I have to pay for cheap but effective internet service. We're wired here for Time Warner, so that's what I have.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I get those survey things every time I go to the bank -- within six hours, every time I pay in a deposit, there's an email. Never mind that I work next door to that bank, am friends with the tellers, and feel free to tell them anything that's on my mind about how they do business.

This is just another example of how these big all-engulfing corporate entities come into small towns without the slightest awareness of or interest in how we who live in such towns actually interact with people. We're all just electrons to them, to be parsed by their marketing software. Bah.

Edward

Bartender
Italians are more likely to be gay. Who knew?

Those Style Forum guys would just love our manbag thread. :lol:

That's among my peeves as well, FF.

And then there are those systems that don't put the caller on the line until AFTER you answer. The dialing is automatic, of course, so that the company isn't paying people to call and wait for an answer, because, after all, their time is so much more precious than yours.

Take their details and report them to the Information Commissioner's Office. https://ico.org.uk/for-organisation...-and-telephone-marketing/telephone-marketing/

Lucky you, we get the ubiquitous Cadbury Cream Egg thrust at us, in practically every other commercial, from Christmas to Easter. How do you eat your's?

I love Creme Eggs. S'why I'm fat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany