Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Such a kindly compliment, thank you. Dad's language gift was akin to those for whom the keys of a piano come naturally. He certainly helped me get through my French an Latin at school.

Where's my Dad when I need him? My Catholic teaching wouldn't have had coitus in the curriculum, that's for sure.
I know that actus reus, sometimes called the external element or the objective element of a crime, is the Latin term for the "guilty act" which, when proved beyond a reasonable doubt in combination with the mens rea, "guilty mind", produces criminal liability in the common law-based criminal law jurisdictions of Canada, and Australia. I just cannot connect actus reus to coitus.

For those whose Latin is a little rusty, allow me to quote from my school Latin/English dictionary:

Coitus: "copulation, sexual intercourse," 1848, scientific use of Latin coitus "a meeting together; sexual union," past participle of coire "to come together, meet," from assimilated form of com "together" (see co-) + ire (past participle itus) "to come, to go," (from PIE root *ei- "to go").

It's that bit about, "to come together," that causes silly Catholic schoolboy sniggers.

'Actus reus non facit reum nisi mens sit reum.' Common Law joins act and mind for a crime to have
occurred. Otherwise, the act itself exists bereft of deliberate intent. A law school criminal case most
remarkable in memory had two US Air Force enlisted men take a maiden-ostensibly alive and sober
from an Alabama bar to a nearby wood; perform the Robin Hood, but Maid Marian failed to awaken.
These twins took the maid to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead. Charged with murder.
Subsequent autopsy results showed the lady to have expired from natural cause, most probable
time of death happened enroute sylvian tryst; consequently the boys found under carnal knowledge
with a corpse. And Alabama had no law on the books regarding necrophilia. No crime, no intent.
Case closed. A classic common law tort of misadventure.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Don’t you just love our native tongue? An essay can be grammatically correct (more or less) and still be all but indecipherable on first reading, or second, or third …
Most Brits will, if not actually pronounce the "D" in Wednesday, form the letter as they say: "Wendzday, or even Wendzdee.

Wednesday actually has Germanic linguistic origins. It is derived from the Old English word, Wōdnesdæg, which honors the Germanic god Wodan.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
ST LOUIS FED
M2 Velocity 1.12/ Inflation 7.87%

At M2 estimate $26kB inflation to velocity falls within expectation, velocity low indicates public resistance.
-----
SCOTUS nominee Judge Jackson failed Sen Blackburn/Cruz inquiry her record.
Affable lady, quite charming but seemingly shy of discussing judicial philosophy and captive to WOKE.
Expect confirmation Senate.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Don’t you just love our native tongue? An essay can be grammatically correct (more or less) and still be all but indecipherable on first reading, or second, or third …
As I like to say, you know the the English language is odd when your can record a record, but can't record a record.

pyjamadoux

New in Town
Good afternoon , dear Harpe. Thank you so much for your answer about my pyjama. I know, I'm old school to wear a classic long sleeves pyjama at home . Have a nice day and take care in your state. Victor.

Positive thing:

Jesus, I thought, my beloved Seersucker (cotton) bedclothes are an outdying species! But today, I got a new set from smalltownish supermarket! :)

And believe it or not, PLAIN WHITE!!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Good afternoon , dear Harpe. Thank you so much for your answer about my pyjama. I know, I'm old school to wear a classic long sleeves pyjama at home . Have a nice day and take care in your state. Victor.
Bonjour, je partage votre message à propos des pyjamas . C'est tellement plus agréable et confortable au lit sous la couette douillette. Cordialement.

Bienvenue au Salon Fedora Victor. Je vais bien et en progression. Merci mon ami. A bientot ici.:)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Positive thing:

Jesus, I thought, my beloved Seersucker (cotton) bedclothes are an outdying species! But today, I got a new set from smalltownish supermarket! :)

And believe it or not, PLAIN WHITE!!
Esther-hat 001.JPG
Outdying! This seersucker blazer will see me out and if seersucker is out of fashion, so be it.
Fashion is fickle, style is forever.

Another question.

Is it similar in the US, that women with natural curly hair are so "exhausting"? German women with natural curly hair seem to have all this similarity.

Now, you could of course ask, how much curly women I'm knowing. BUT, I never saw a natural curly women, which is the calm opposite!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Another question.

Is it similar in the US, that women with natural curly hair are so "exhausting"? German women with natural curly hair seem to have all this similarity.

Now, you could of course ask, how much curly women I'm knowing. BUT, I never saw a natural curly women, which is the calm opposite!

Marburg. When a twenty year old visited a friend for a week, all the ladies I met were women
of substance, depth, perception. Curls, straight, short or long tresses.
Later, in Thessaloniki, I was approached by a curly haired thirty-five year old frau. She subsequently
offered to adopt me so I could live with her in Munich. ;)
German ladies are exciting, not exhausting Trench. :)
Where have you been lokin' bro? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran