Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

It was, it is and it will always be funny for me to see couples of every ages in the clothing stores.

I mean, what is it with them? Why are these people so unable to buy their stuff by themselves?? Why they need their partner in the store?

It was, it is and it will always be funny for me to see couples of every ages in the clothing stores.

I mean, what is it with them? Why are these people so unable to buy their stuff by themselves?? Why they need their partner in the store?
Had it occurred to you that it might not be a matter of "need", but a matter of "want"? For some people they might simply want the company and/or opinions of their partner. "What do you think of this style? Do you think it looks okay on me?" It also shows some consideration, seeing how they'll likely be seen in public together. My wife has asked my opinions on a number of occasions when she wasn't sure about an item of clothing that, to her, looked good on the hanger in the store. Many times those items remained on their hangers because they weren't flattering to my wife, and she usually found other items (at my suggestion) that looked better on her.

Also, a lot of people are couples because they like spending time with each other. That's certainly the case for me--I enjoy spending time with my wife. I can't say with absolute certainty that she feels the same way, but I don't think you stay married to someone for 40 years if you don't want to be in their company regularly.

I hope this gives you a bit of insight, and perhaps helps to answer your questions.

More losing usage battles …

It’s “home in” on a target, be that target literal or figurative, like, say, a homing pigeon would do, not “hone in.”

And “jibe,” meaning “to be in agreement,” is not the same thing as “jive.”

Alas, it seems that more often than not both are used improperly. As I already noted, it’s a losing battle.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
If there will be a gravestone for me, I want THIS on it!:

"WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE STREET??"

Looks a LAW, light ant-tank weapon; also called 'PRINGLES' by American grunts.
Soviet tanks are vulnerable left side, ammo and gas storage, so Laws typically fire
at port side...saw a Law on tv hit a Russian tank left, southpaw hit the tread, knocked
it off, stopping the tank. Great shot.

See you're watching beyond Das Boot, Trench. Das ist gut. :)

basbol13

A-List Customer

I'm with you on this one. But what is really something is when they dress to go out and they match their clothing colors with each other. that's sad.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a whole skeleton full of bones to pick with the United Parcel Service, which I have caught *twice in one day* falsifying statements on tracking reports, claiming "delivery attempt was made, no one to receive package" when in both cases no attempt was made. One of them was at work, where I've been waiting for two days to receive our next film, and one was a personal package. In the former case, I was standing in the open front door welcoming patrons at the exact time the driver claimed to be making an "unsuccessful delivery attempt" -- and neither a truck nor a driver was anywhere in sight. And in the latter case, I was standing on my front porch, with the light on, and thef door open, watching the truck pull up, DELIVER TWO PACKAGES TO MY NEIGHBORS, and then drive away, logging my own delivery as "Attempted, not at home."

I've filed formal complaints with UPS over this, and also with our film shipper, asking them to use alternate shipping services from here on. This is the second time in three weeks this has happened with a film shipment, and clearly something untoward is going on at our local depot.

Added to the fun is the utter impossibility of actually being able to speak to someone either locally or nationally at UPS. All attempts to contact them direct you either to a robotic telephone system or an A-I online interface that will only allow canned questions and answers.

I've never had an experience like this with the USPS, or with Fed-Ex. And I'm about done with UPS.

basbol13

A-List Customer
I have a whole skeleton full of bones to pick with the United Parcel Service, which I have caught *twice in one day* falsifying statements on tracking reports, claiming "delivery attempt was made, no one to receive package" when in both cases no attempt was made. One of them was at work, where I've been waiting for two days to receive our next film, and one was a personal package. In the former case, I was standing in the open front door welcoming patrons at the exact time the driver claimed to be making an "unsuccessful delivery attempt" -- and neither a truck nor a driver was anywhere in sight. And in the latter case, I was standing on my front porch, with the light on, and thef door open, watching the truck pull up, DELIVER TWO PACKAGES TO MY NEIGHBORS, and then drive away, logging my own delivery as "Attempted, not at home."

I've filed formal complaints with UPS over this, and also with our film shipper, asking them to use alternate shipping services from here on. This is the second time in three weeks this has happened with a film shipment, and clearly something untoward is going on at our local depot.

Added to the fun is the utter impossibility of actually being able to speak to someone either locally or nationally at UPS. All attempts to contact them direct you either to a robotic telephone system or an A-I online interface that will only allow canned questions and answers.

I've never had an experience like this with the USPS, or with Fed-Ex. And I'm about done with UPS.
Worked for UPS back in the seventies, same then as they are now. The drivers are on a time limit and if there are too many packages for them to deliver too bad, they won't deliver. As for getting in touch you may think it's bad now go back to the seventies w/o internet etc. and you'll realize how impossible it was then as now

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I still haven't done my income tax file. My bad. Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot-Lima Charlie Samuel...
I'll submit for extension. This calendar year time is really flyin.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Worked for UPS back in the seventies, same then as they are now. The drivers are on a time limit and if there are too many packages for them to deliver too bad, they won't deliver. As for getting in touch you may think it's bad now go back to the seventies w/o internet etc. and you'll realize how impossible it was then as now

I've heard a lot of similar horror stories -- drivers put on "speedups" that compromise their ability to do their job, etc. But the situation with our film shipments is a lot more than just an inconvenience -- it literally interferes with our ability to conduct our business. If we don't have the film we're scheduled to show, we can't operate, and people lose paychecks. UPS is taking money under false pretenses from our distributor -- who is paying for premium-level service and not receiving it, and is also interfering with the ability of our staff to earn a living. Me getting a pair of shoes a day or two late is annoying, but interfering with my ability to do my job is well beyond the pale.

Hercule

Practically Family
I have a whole skeleton full of bones to pick with the United Parcel Service, which I have caught *twice in one day* falsifying statements on tracking reports, claiming "delivery attempt was made, no one to receive package" .....

Been there, done that (see my post above from a few months ago). They ALL do it. Our issue was with FedEx. UPS has been better, go figure.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I've heard a lot of similar horror stories -- drivers put on "speedups" that compromise their ability to do their job, etc. But the situation with our film shipments is a lot more than just an inconvenience -- it literally interferes with our ability to conduct our business. If we don't have the film we're scheduled to show, we can't operate, and people lose paychecks. UPS is taking money under false pretenses from our distributor -- who is paying for premium-level service and not receiving it, and is also interfering with the ability of our staff to earn a living. Me getting a pair of shoes a day or two late is annoying, but interfering with my ability to do my job is well beyond the pale.

Have theatre attorney contact distributor(s) legal dept; UPS is in violation of contract.

What too many companies fail to recognize is that customers with legitimate beefs are doing them a favor by voicing those complaints. Those customers are giving the companies a chance to win back their trust and continue doing business with them.

Say what you will about the evil Amazon, their customer service has been nothing but excellent in my experience, They’re forcing everyone else to up their game.

I can also recommend an outfit called Thriftbooks. Excellent prices on used books, fast shipping.

More than a few years ago I was told this by an extended family member who had allegedly worked for UPS. He said the reason we always saw UPS' drivers hustling to make their deliveries was not so much because they were over-burdened (which they were/are), but because of how they're paid. He continued by explaining that every UPS driver is paid for eight hours per shift. If they make all of their pick-ups and deliveries and return to the distribution center in, say, six hours, they still get paid for eight hours. Conversely, if it takes them ten hours to make all of their pick-ups and deliveries for the day, they only get paid for eight. So it's in the drivers' best interests to complete their daily rounds as quickly as possible. Mind you, I have no idea how true this is--could be true, not true, was true at one time, variations of true...beats me. But it sounds plausible.

Hercule

Practically Family
Sadly apropos to today's discussion: Mom in law sent an Easter card with 6k check in on Monday. Card arrived this afternoon (Thursday), envelope had been opened and the check was missing. USPS is a closed system is it not? Gee, who could have taken it?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Sadly apropos to today's discussion: Mom in law sent an Easter card with 6k check in on Monday. Card arrived this afternoon (Thursday), envelope had been opened and the check was missing. USPS is a closed system is it not? Gee, who could have taken it?

I know you have already taken care to call your mother to have the check cancelled,
but was it a personal, bank cashier check, and letter envelope certified return receipt requested?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21