Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
A pet peeve of mine: people at shopping centers who enter through the exit door. Are they particularly in my way? No. Is it harming anything, them using the exit door? No. Is it smaller than the entrance door, and hinders other exiters? No. Is there a hard and fast rule that expressly forbids them using the exit as the entrance and woe the consequences if they do? (NONE SHALL PASS!) No. Why does it bother me so much? I have no clue, other than in my head, the entrance is the entrance and the exit is the exit and really, you can't walk the extra three feet to the entrance door?! How lazy are you?! And while I've never conducted my own informal study on the matter, I'd be willing to bet money that these people are the same ones who block the entire aisle with their shopping carts, and then glare at me when I say "Excuse me" when I try and get around them. :eusa_doh:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If there's a medical reason why the left arm is a no-go, did you bother telling them that? If not, then their reaction was quite reasonable. If something like that can't be done under any circumstances, I'd wonder why you don't have some manner of life alert bracelet explaining it (in case you were knocked out and couldn't tell them), and you should be used to having to explain the reasons by now.
If you did tell them that, I sort of doubt the rest of the conversation would have taken place unless you were dealing with someone truly dense.
I know a few nurses, and all have told me stories of people who were simply difficult for no seeming reason whatsoever. If you didn't tell them why they couldn't go to your left, I'm sure you became that nurse's story later on...

In my chart, in BOLD RED LETTERS on a sticky, it says CANCER SURVIVOR, LEFT ARM LYMPHEDEMA NO BLOODS NO PRESSURES. I confirmed with her that I had lymphedema on the left and could not have any "medical procedures" on my left arm, as she read from my chart. If she did not know what that meant, she should have asked.

I am more than used to explaining the reasons by now. I'm personally offended by that comment.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hubby's veins are hard to poke. I remember once he had a newbie that *ground* the needle around and around in his arm trying to find the vein at his elbow. He had a black bruise the size of a half dollar from that one. He's also had both elbows, both wrists (!!!), and the back of his hand poked before they've found that the back of the hand was the best. Now he just tells them to get the head of the lab, and only poke the back of his hand. He recently had 6 vials drawn without a bruise from his hand.

When I was going through chemotherapy, I had a chest port. The stab you with a needle about the size of a pencil lead in the chest. To put in the needle, they have you recline in a chair, brace yourself, stiffen, and they feel with one hand and stab with the other, like if they had a knife and were TRYING to stab you. (They need a lot of force to access the port.) Then they drip the poison directly into your heart.

I had a new oncology nurse (had been a nurse a while but new to oncology), and I am one of those types who always lets a student/ newbie try something on me. After she tried it three times (and I had three holes in my chest that were dripping blood down the front of my dress) I told her to stop and go get her supervisor. I've never seen someone look so relieved in her life. I think she was near tears. :( I've always felt bad that after the second time I didn't make her stop.

p51

One Too Many
In my chart, in BOLD RED LETTERS on a sticky, it says CANCER SURVIVOR, LEFT ARM LYMPHEDEMA NO BLOODS NO PRESSURES. I confirmed with her that I had lymphedema on the left and could not have any "medical procedures" on my left arm, as she read from my chart.
Fair enough, but you never mentioned any of that in your post. That was a pretty substantial detail that got omitted. Knowing that now, I agree their reaction would be annoying.
I am more than used to explaining the reasons by now. I'm personally offended by that comment.
Well, you didn't mention those key (and very important) details, so I'm offering no apology for my response, which was exclusively based on the info you provided.

Last edited:

p51

One Too Many
My biggest pet peeve as of late:
I refer to is as Being a prisoner of the check at a restaurant
You go out to eat, and most of the time the service goes relatively fast. You're clearly done with the meal, and maybe the table is bussed...
Then you wait.
And wait.
And wait.
And wait.
And wait.
I can only assume there's a reason for this but for the life of me, I can't see what it is. Wouldn't it make sense to get us out of the table so someone else can eat there? Most of the time they don't press for us getting a desert or something else to add to the bill, so what's the reason for making people wait so long to get the check (and if using a credit card, getting it back to sign) so you can leave?
I see this almost everywhere we go out to eat anymore, so it's an obvious trend.
If there's anyone in the restaurant industry on this forum, I'd love to get some insight into why I'm seeing this almost everywhere we go now.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fair enough, but you never mentioned any of that in your post. That was a pretty substantial detail that got omitted. Knowing that now, I agree their reaction would be annoying.Well, you didn't mention those key (and very important) details, so I'm offering no apology for my response, which was exclusively based on the info you provided.

But you assumed from reading my thread that I was in the wrong instead of asking me. Obviously, I didn't mention that this was a new nurses aid, or a new doctor's office, or a new thing.

You assumed that I had years of experience with this. You did not assume my doctor's office having years of experience with this or the nurse's aid being a trained professional.

You assumed that I did not make my reason clear. You did not assume that the nurse act like a professional and ask me calmly why she couldn't use the cuff. You assumed the nurse was correct in badgering me and further telling stories about my medical condition to make fun of me.

You assumed that the nurse had a good reason to *whine* in a squeaky voice about having to get another cuff out of the drawer, but I did not have a good reason to be offended that I was badgered and not listened to.

I think you have to ask yourself, when faced with a lack of information, why did you give all the kind assumptions to the professional but made unkind assumptions towards the patient?

Because you really made a lot of unkind assumptions towards me, and are defending someone who could have seriously hurt me- causing me to lose a limb even- when she is the trained professional. How hard is it to ask, "is there a reason I can't take it on the left?" in a nice, professional tone?

ETA: Unless the nurse's aid is new (which she is not, she's been there at least two years according to my memory and has taken my blood pressure before) she HAS to have encountered this situation before. I've told her this before, although I don't expect her to remember me (even though I go in there very frequently) I would think she'd remember that some people can't have blood pressures done on both arms. I mean, this is what nurse's aids DO for a living- take temps, blood pressures, and blood draws.

Also, sometimes when someone tells you they are personally offended it is a statement of fact.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
When I buy several items at the store, the clerk will ask if I need a bag.

Usually if it’s one small item I can put it in my pocket . But I don’t understand how they expect for the customer to carry
if there are several items . I guess it’s a store policy !

One time, I was with a friend at a grocery store & we bought several items & the question was asked.

My friend turned to me & asked...

"what do you think jake ? Should we eat the food now, or just part of it & get a bag &
eat the rest later? It’s up to you, I can eat later or now ! We can get a portable stove & heat it up now if you like ? "

The clerk started bagging the merchandise right away ! :D

DNO

One Too Many
When I buy several items at the store, the clerk will ask if I need a bag.

Usually if it’s one small item I can put it in my pocket . But I don’t understand how they expect for the customer to carry
if there are several items . I guess it’s a store policy !

One time, I was with a friend at a grocery store & we bought several items & the question was asked.

My friend turned to me & asked...

"what do you think jake ? Should we eat the food now, or just part of it & get a bag &
eat the rest later? It’s up to you, I can eat later or now ! We can get a portable stove & heat it up now if you like ? "

The clerk started bagging the merchandise right away ! :D

Up here, that's a perfectly legitimate question. They're trying to cut back on the use of disposable plastic bags. Most people here now use their own cloth, reusable grocery bags. Most retailers will charge 5 cents a bag for the disposable ones...even the Sally Ann thrift shops!

p51

One Too Many
sometimes when someone tells you they are personally offended it is a statement of fact.
And sometimes people get offended by darned near anything. People are so quick to fly the "I'm offended flag" as if it really means anything anymore, I hardly notice it unless I really did put my foot in my mouth. And I didn't do that in my initial response, which was based on the info you provided at the time.
It's not my responsibility in life to try to read between the lines- comically so- and be able to know anything beyond what the person explained.
if you can't see what your post read like to those who didn't somehow already know all the other info you probably should have included, well, that says more than I need to.
Again, I make no apologies. Be as offended as you'd like, it's a free country.
I stand firm by my comment in the context of the info you supplied to start with.

Last edited:

p51

One Too Many
Up here, that's a perfectly legitimate question. They're trying to cut back on the use of disposable plastic bags. Most people here now use their own cloth, reusable grocery bags. Most retailers will charge 5 cents a bag for the disposable ones...even the Sally Ann thrift shops!
Yeah, in the county I live in, it's a law that all stores have to charge for bags now. Many people have been bringing their own bags locally for years now, before that law got passed.
It's funny to see out-of-towners being told they gotta pay for bags when they couldn't have known ahead of time about the law.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And sometimes people get offended by darned near anything. People are so quick to fly the "I'm offended flag" as if it really means anything anymore, I hardly notice it unless I really did put my foot in my mouth. And I didn't do that in my initial response, which was based on the info you provided at the time.
It's not my responsibility in life to try to read between the lines- comically so- and be able to know anything beyond what the person explained.
if you can't see what your post read like to those who didn't somehow already know all the other info you probably should have included, well, that says more than I need to.
Again, I make no apologies. Be as offended as you'd like, it's a free country.
I stand firm by my comment in the context of the info you supplied to start with.

Beautiful world, isn't it?

One of my wife's favourite expressions:
"No! It's a simple word. Which part of it are you having difficulty with?"
I have a similar response: "Which part are you having trouble with, the 'Nnnnnnnnn' or the 'Ooooooooo'?" :D

I always get those plastic bags, but I have a good reason for needing them -- I use them to dispose of the clumped-up waste matter from the litter box.
We use them as liners for the smaller trash receptacles in our bathrooms. They're a perfect fit, and repurposing them in that way means we're not constantly throwing away empty plastic bags.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A pet peeve of mine: people at shopping centers who enter through the exit door.
A peeve of mine is: Why do older folks gather in shop entrances and hold a little meeting? Is it an exclusive Brit practice? It's the busiest part of the store, but there they stand and chat. Maybe that's why those in the know use the exit door.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
A peeve of mine is: Why do older folks gather in shop entrances and hold a little meeting? Is it an exclusive Brit practice? It's the busiest part of the store, but there they stand and chat. Maybe that's why those in the know use the exit door.

It’s not limited to older folks & just in your area.
People (all ages) that come to visit the U.S. will congregate in the middle of the aisles & carry loud
conversations as if they were the only ones. This makes it difficult for others to walk by in public places. :p

Last edited:
You'd think something like that would be on your medical history chart, like the one that they've got in their hand or on their computer screen when they're examining you.

This would have been my concern, far beyond being peeved that the nurse didn't understand that "No" was a complete sentence. With me, the conversation would have gone like this:

Nure: "Can I take your blood pressure on your left arm?"
Me: "No."
Nurse: "But this is a left handed blood pressure cuff."
Me: "And there's a medical reason why you can't use my left arm. You are supposed to know this, and the fact that you don't is alarming on many levels. Therefore, you will take my blood pressure from my right arm, and I'll need to have a discussion with your supervisor."

What's even worse is people who don't undertand the escalator doesn't stop when they get off of it. In my office building, you walk in on the ground floor, but there is a 2-story lobby, and the elevator banks are on the third floor. So you either have to take stairs or the escalator to get to the elevators and anywhere in the building. But daily, people take the escalator up, step off, then stand there, looking left, looking right, unsure what to do next. Meanwhile, other people are right behind them and their path is coming to an end. More than once I've had to push people out of the way to prevent 37 people on the escalator from tumbling down like dominoes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What is it with people standing in line that they can't compress together enough to keep the line from blocking traffic? We have a giant event going on in town this weekend, and you have to stand in line to do just about anything -- and every line you see, these people act like they have to have at least twice the width of the average person between themselves and the person ahead of and behind them. I understand the whole American obsession with "personal space," but it gets ridiculous when you have lines extending out the doors of businesses and into the street just because people are afraid they might catch their neighbors' cooties.

We have this problem in the theatre when there are busy shows, and I have no hesitation about yelling in my loudest broken-glass voice "FOLKS LETS TIGHTEN THE LINE UP A BIT, STAND CLOSER TOGETHER SO PEOPLE CAN GET TO THE BATHROOMS THANK YOU." They always look at me like I've asked them to pick something out of the toilet with their bare hands.

And of course, the habit of people insisting on there being empty seats on both sides of themselves or their group is another giant pain. At sellout events I always have to go down thru the auditorium and tell people to move over to let other couples sit together. You buy a ticket and it entitles you to your seat, but it doesn't entitle you to have empty seats next to you.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
What's even worse is people who don't undertand the escalator doesn't stop when they get off of it. In my office building, you walk in on the ground floor, but there is a 2-story lobby, and the elevator banks are on the third floor. So you either have to take stairs or the escalator to get to the elevators and anywhere in the building. But daily, people take the escalator up, step off, then stand there, looking left, looking right, unsure what to do next. Meanwhile, other people are right behind them and their path is coming to an end. More than once I've had to push people out of the way to prevent 37 people on the escalator from tumbling down like dominoes.

On the other side, there are folks who hesitate in front of the escalator . Probably because they are afraid of loosing balance & falling
down but it does create a pile up.

I enjoy walking and having to walk up a flight of stairs is no big deal.

But the few times I have to “walk” on an escalator that has stopped or broken....I get a strange sensation.
I can’t explain it other than my “brain” is telling me I should be standing still while the escalator does the work ! :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot