Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

Slapping incident made headlines by this General during WW2.

2vkant3.jpg

"Old Blood & Guts “ !

Incidents. He actually slapped two soldiers. One was, as portrayed by Tim Considine in the George C. Scott movie, a scared kid. The other was a veteran who had been through a lot of combat experience, had been a solid soldier, but had finally reached his breaking point.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have a great Dentist! I was just in last month, unfortunately, some of the old silver fillings from the 60s are deteriorating, so I had him drill out three that were bothering me, some of them have fallen out on there own. The biggest advance in Dentistry is the topical, I did not even feel the shots, I did have a laugh with him, when I instinctively flinched, hard to brake old habits!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Incidents. He actually slapped two soldiers. One was, as portrayed by Tim Considine in the George C. Scott movie, a scared kid. The other was a veteran who had been through a lot of combat experience, had been a solid soldier, but had finally reached his breaking point.

Sadly, one of the men was suffering from a high fever, malaria and dysentery! His crime was not standing to salute. Don't know about the rest of you, but any one of those would discourage me from wanting to stand up!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sadly, one of the men was suffering from a high fever, malaria and dysentery! His crime was not standing to salute. Don't know about the rest of you, but any one of those would discourage me from wanting to stand up!

In ‘nam, I don’t recall the officers expecting a salute in combat zones with snipers all around us.
But that was so long ago, I‘m not sure what the regulations stated. All I remember is that there
was some crazy sh** going on & you slept with one eye opened ! :p

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I hate the dentist. As in, the dentist is the only doctor I actually fear going to.
Here's a handy tip, only works if your dentist is male though: When your dentist approaches your mouth with one of his torture tools and a hostile grin on his face, you reach out, cup his scrotum, squeeze gently and say: "Now we are not going to hurt each other, are we?"

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
My dentists are great. It's a family practice and I've had both the brothers, one of the wives, the dad, and several techs in my mouth. They are all compassionate and make sure I'm comfortable. The funniest story was when they thought they were done with my root canal and then one said, "Hang on, what is....?" He got a consult from two other people to confirm I had an extra root. Most people have 2 and I had 3, and it cannot stay in there. He said he'd heard about it before, but I was the very first patient he'd seen it in. I told my mom and she said, "Your uncle had 4." Our teeth really want to stay in there, apparently. Mom told me once when she was having an extraction that the dentist had to put his foot on the chair for leverage. Good grief.

p51

One Too Many
“Battle fatigue”, something that General Patton did not believe in during WW2 . :p
Plenty of people in the Army today don't believe in it, either.
I was a CPT when I resigned in 2006, and generally, there will always be plenty of soldiers who will milk any thing they can to get out of PT or hard duty. But the leadership will always have the default mode of, "You don't have a problem, drive on!" for cases like that.
One thing I always noticed was the only legit problem most NCOs and officers will recognize is when they have one themselves. Everyone else is faking it or malingering.
I had a Major look me dead in the eye at JRTC at Fort Polk and tell me I was a malingerer, when I was shivering and coughing up some really nasty colors (not to mention having been diagnosed with the initial stages of viral pneumonia by an Army doctor, having just spent 4 days in the hospital and was ordered to stay in med hold for the duration of the exercise) in the Louisiana heat. It's one of a dozen moments that made me decide I was going to get out, having been treated like that. That Major has no idea how close I came to backhanding him and if I'd done it once, I'd have kept going for broke (so to speak). It was the only time I seriously contemplated striking an officer who outranked me.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Plenty of people in the Army today don't believe in it, either.
I was a CPT when I resigned in 2006, and generally, there will always be plenty of soldiers who will milk any thing they can to get out of PT or hard duty. But the leadership will always have the default mode of, "You don't have a problem, drive on!" for cases like that.
One thing I always noticed was the only legit problem most NCOs and officers will recognize is when they have one themselves. Everyone else is faking it or malingering.
I had a Major look me dead in the eye at JRTC at Fort Polk and tell me I was a malingerer, when I was shivering and coughing up some really nasty colors (not to mention having been diagnosed with the initial stages of viral pneumonia by an Army doctor, having just spent 4 days in the hospital and was ordered to stay in med hold for the duration of the exercise) in the Louisiana heat. It's one of a dozen moments that made me decide I was going to get out, having been treated like that. That Major has no idea how close I came to backhanding him and if I'd done it once, I'd have kept going for broke (so to speak). It was the only time I seriously contemplated striking an officer who outranked me.

I understand what you must’ve gone through. I only broke down once & if it wasn’t for my sergeant who had
experience & thought that I was a good kid who followed orders.
I would’ve seriously hurt a guy who was needling me. And it wasn’t so much of what this poor sap said or
did rather it was all the frustration, anger, fear that was pent-up in me that I released it on him.
I wasn’t put on report. Usually when returning from the combat zone we were isolated & our weapons removed
before going on R & R.

When ever I felt sorry for myself, I would think of the marines who had it worse. I also focused on a magazine
that had ads for the best professional cameras. I went to Tokyo & bought the Nikon Photomic FTN 35 mm.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
What is it with people standing in line that they can't compress together enough to keep the line from blocking traffic?
<snip>
We have this problem in the theatre when there are busy shows, and I have no hesitation about yelling in my loudest broken-glass voice "FOLKS LETS TIGHTEN THE LINE UP A BIT, STAND CLOSER TOGETHER SO PEOPLE CAN GET TO THE BATHROOMS THANK YOU." They always look at me like I've asked them to pick something out of the toilet with their bare hands.
<snip>
As my Airborne Black Hats (Instructors) used to tell us to get the lines tightened up... "Make your Buddy smile Boys, Make them grin"

Crotch to butt, almost your face in their skull.
Still remember it 20+ yrs later & it pisses people off in the store when I step up to their heels in line. But at least I don't do it with carts, too many are doing it to me lately so I've had to get aggressive with them, I'll slam my heel into the front of the cart causing it buck backwards, or I'll slam my basket into it again causing it to buck back. Sorry, I don't care if it hurts them, I have heel issues & I don't appreciate a metal cart in my shoes while I'm wearing them. Plus its eating the back of my leather shoes. (grrr)

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
HD,
That clip with Tim Conway & Harvey Korman is funny, Harvey was having a hard time keeping a straight face. I loved the Carol Burnett show, those folks could make ya laugh without being too "blue".

Didn't Mr Bean (Rowan Atkinson) or Benny Hill do a skit like that also? Some of the old comedies are funny, but those like Benny Hill were a bit "blue", who knew Brits could be so funny, buncha stuffy shirts. ;)
(yes, I'm part Brit, or as mymaternal grandfather called it "Yanks", so I'm actually a Yank Yank being of English descrent & growing up in the Northeast of the USA, LOL)

My dentists are great...The funniest story was when they thought they were done with my root canal and then one said, "Hang on, what is....?" He got a consult from two other people to confirm I had an extra root. Most people have 2 and I had 3, and it cannot stay in there. He said he'd heard about it before, but I was the very first patient he'd seen it in. I told my mom and she said, "Your uncle had 4."...
During my last root canal the Endodontist stopped at one point and apologized for the procedure taking so long, then went on to explain that maxillary molars usually have three roots--mine not only had four, but one of them was bent at a 90° angle and he was trying to remove all of the root pulp without breaking the tiny wire-like tool that does the job because if it broke the procedure would have gone from "root canal" to "extraction". lol

basbol13

A-List Customer
During my last root canal the Endodontist stopped at one point and apologized for the procedure taking so long, then went on to explain that maxillary molars usually have three roots--mine not only had four, but one of them was bent at a 90° angle and he was trying to remove all of the root pulp without breaking the tiny wire-like tool that does the job because if it broke the procedure would have gone from "root canal" to "extraction". lol

Don't believe everything you're told. Most maxillay 1st molars have 4 roots. Just that they finally figured it out after having a lot of failures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24