Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

...I suspect that if you were to have told any of those people 10 years ago that they would gladly hand over three or four or five bucks for an ounce or two of very strong coffee and a cupful of steamed milk they would have told you to go back to Seattle or San Francisco or wherever the hell it is where people throw away money like that.

I have never been more wrong about anything than my opinion that the high-priced coffee craze "will never take off in this country," "will never last," "will never go main stream." I am still amazed that so many people will pay that much for specialty coffees, but there it is - they do and I was wrong.

I "discovered" Maine as a tourist about 25 year ago and was introduced to lobster rolls in Maine. I am sure it is tourist thing if Lizzie says so, but it is still - done well - a wonderful sandwich. Sure, there are over-priced, soaked-in-mayonnaise rip-off lobster rolls, but there are also lightly buttered, mainly lobster meat lobster rolls that - authentic or not - are quite tasty and reasonably priced if you stay away from the tourist / fancy places. But I have no argument with Lizzie's description of the best way to eat lobster and super agree with her on the "tomalley" as I gag anytime I even see someone eating it.

I have never been more wrong about anything than my opinion that the high-priced coffee craze "will never take off in this country," "will never last," "will never go main stream." I am still amazed that so many people will pay that much for specialty coffees, but there it is - they do and I was wrong.

I can affirm, that the coffee from Tansania tasts that light-fruity, light-smokie, kind of dried-fruit. Far from mainsteam. But it's just available on supermarket, here, as a fairly higher-priced fairtrade-product. So, I buy it and it tasts excellent, to me.

p51

One Too Many
You and me, both!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm relaxed. Lobster/Hummer wouldn't make me hungry, because to me, it's the same kind, like usual crayfish. And further, much animal-protein isn't that good, I think (cancer and so on....).

I prefer Döner-Kebab, oh yeah! :D And in direct comparition, the vegetarian Döner (with sheep's (milk) cheese) tasts better, to me.

I don't belong to these typical thuringian "Bratwurst-people". I mean, the Bratwurst is just a glutamated, fatty, charcoal-grilled sausage in a dump white roll. Ok, Goethe loved it, but we got 2015. ;)

Doner-Kebab, under the name of "Donair" is the national food of my ancestors -- the people of Halifax, Nova Scotia eat more of it than anyone anywhere in the world. Who'd have imagined?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Doner-Kebab, under the name of "Donair" is the national food of my ancestors -- the people of Halifax, Nova Scotia eat more of it than anyone anywhere in the world. Who'd have imagined?
Well given that Nova Scotia is the Latin for New Scotland, and so by implication, it is populated by émigrés of the gaelic region north of the English border, and also given that the babies of the said region are weaned on a drop of the hard stuff, and when a Citizen of Nova Scotia, like their Scottish forebears before them, have had a bladderful, it's hardly surprising that their pickled brain turns to the thought of food.
Not, though, something wholesome and nutritious, but something greasy and salmonella infused, like the reheated meat of a kebab. That's when they are not indulging in the stomach churning, disgusting act of devouring deep fried, battered mars bars. Imagined what?

@LizzieMaine

Aaaaah, interesting! I never heard of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_egg

But first, I thought of a thing like in the old (east)german days: Red wine and an egg, whisked and drink it. Was applied on sick, weaked persons, to reinforce them.:confused:

But this is better, for the stallion, I think:
23887375pg.jpg
:D

There was a time when I would take umbrage at being called a food snob, but let me tell you, I will not eat a sandwich called a sub. A sub is an abbreviation for submarine, it is not a sandwich. The title of sandwich came about when The Earl of Sandwich, a compulsive gambler, ordered a hank of beef between two slices of bread, whilst at the gaming tables. The food that he ordered was so designed that the bread prevented his fingers from becoming greasy, and therefore spoiling the deck of cards.
Other gamblers, seeing this, would say to the waiters: "I'll have a Sandwich," referring to Lord Sandwich. And so the name of the ubiquitous meal between two slices of bread was born. It was not, nor has it ever been, on the menu card of a submarine.
A sub is the kind of sandwich you'd get from a Subway restaurant (and ironically, there are no real subways here) which is, if you didn't already know, a chain of fast food sandwich joints. Sort of the McDonalds of cold cuts. I've also heard this type of sandwich referred to as a torpedo sandwich, a hoagie, a hero, and a grinder. Something that ticks me off is the concept of paying 5 or 6 bucks for a cold cut sandwich. That's the kind of lunch you bring from home. If I'm going to shell out my hard earned $$ for lunch, I at least want a hot meal. Which brings me 'round to the gulf coast version of said sandwiches on the long skinny buns....the po'boy. I'll gladly fork out for a split roll filled with fried shrimps, crawfish, oysters, crabs, catfish filets.....you name it, or a big plug of deep fried Cajun sausage, the kind so hot it burns both ends. That is a proper lunch.

Jim Green

New in Town
I guess I am lucky. I work for the state and once at the beginning of the following month I do an online time sheet.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Jim Green

New in Town
I get cross when I see parents of babies and toddlers recklessly putting them into or taking them out of their seats through the door on the side of their car that opens into the road and oncoming traffic a prolonged process with the door wide open and their butts sticking out slowing or stopping traffic and risking injury to stupid parent (deserved?) and innocent tot (undeserved!). How hard is it to use the much safer sidewalk/pavement side or even parking appropriately if necessary?
I agree.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

There was a time when I would take umbrage at being called a food snob, but let me tell you, I will not eat a sandwich called a sub. A sub is an abbreviation for submarine, it is not a sandwich. The title of sandwich came about when The Earl of Sandwich, a compulsive gambler, ordered a hank of beef between two slices of bread, whilst at the gaming tables. The food that he ordered was so designed that the bread prevented his fingers from becoming greasy, and therefore spoiling the deck of cards.
Other gamblers, seeing this, would say to the waiters: "I'll have a Sandwich," referring to Lord Sandwich. And so the name of the ubiquitous meal between two slices of bread was born. It was not, nor has it ever been, on the menu card of a submarine.

"Sub" is an abbreviation for "submarine sandwich", so called for its shape reminiscent of that of a submarine. It has never been a reference to anything actually served *on* a submarine.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I've always wanted to try one of those!
Well stop wanting and start making, here's what you need, and how to do it. For a lesser amount just reduce the quantities.

Ingredients
• 10 large free-range eggs , 2 beaten
• 2lb quality sausage meat
• 1 small bunch fresh chives , finely chopped
• 1 small bunch fresh parsley , leaves picked and finely chopped
• 1 whole nutmeg
• 1 tablespoon English mustard
• sea salt
• freshly ground black pepper
• plain flour , for dusting
• 2oz good-quality white breadcrumbs
• 4 pints vegetable oil
• 3 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil
Method
Often, the best way to get quality sausage meat is to buy some really lovely sausages, slit them open, then squeeze out the meat. I like my Scotch eggs a little runny in the middle, but if you like a harder boiled centre, simply boil them for an extra couple of minutes at the start.
You want the pork cooked through, the outside golden and crispy and the inside hot and runny. That’s when you know you’ve got yourself a good Scotch egg.
Put the first 8 eggs into a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes, then transfer to a bowl of cold water. Once cooled, carefully peel them.
Put the sausage meat into another bowl with the herbs, a good grating of nutmeg, the mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper. Give it all a mix together then divide into 8 balls.
Have 3 plates ready - one with a small handful of flour, one with the beaten eggs and a third with the breadcrumbs. To make the Scotch eggs, start by flouring your hands. In the palm of one hand, flatten one of the sausage balls into an oval-shaped pattie. Roll a peeled egg in flour, then pop it in the middle of the pattie. Gently shape the meat evenly around the egg, moulding it with your hands.
Roll the meat-wrapped egg in the flour, shake off any excess, then dip into the beaten egg, followed by the breadcrumbs. Roll in the egg and breadcrumbs again for a really good coating. Heat the oil in a deep pan or deep fat fryer to about 150ºC/300ºF. If you have a cooking thermometer it’s a good idea to use it. Otherwise, test if the oil is hot enough by adding a piece of potato and leaving it for about a minute – if it sizzles and browns, it’s ready. Carefully lower the eggs into the pan and cook for about 4 minutes, turning them every so often, until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. (If you’re worried about the meat being under-cooked, deep-fry the scotch eggs until they’re golden and crispy, then pop them in a hot oven for a couple of minutes.) Cool the eggs slightly, then arrange them on board with a good piece of Scottish Cheddar, some pickle, a few pickled onions and a hunk of fresh French bread, like a baguette. Heaven.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I am tired of people saying something to the effect, "we live in the most perilous times in history!" Obviously, they slept through history class. This isn't even in the top 100 in world history, or the top 10 in U.S. history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy