Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

"Remastered" albums ...

After weeks listening to David Bowie's fantastic "Low" from 1976, with the great Brian Eno-tunes , the 1999's CD-edition, I would say, that this edition is ok. But of course, I don't know the old editons!

I normally got the sound-setting of my hi-fi quipment adjusted neutral on Bass, around +0- and the Tone down on -4 of -5.

I like it nearly "clear"! :cool:;)

jeanramar

New in Town
subscribed!
o.png

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have to laugh! This evening, I traded in my truck on a new one, one problem, they did not have one on the lot. So, I could wait two or three months for a new build, or they could get one from another dealer. I took the latter, It's in Utah, so only seven to ten days. I said, no sweat, I have a motorcycle, the weather has been near 70F the last week, I can do the time standing on my head! Looking at the extended forecast, you guised it, rain on Saturday, turning to snow on Monday through Wednesday. :D

TipDab

Familiar Face
(Not to chide/pick-on any post(er) here, but . . .)

Whatever happened to Photo Captions*?

A picture might be 'worth a thousand words', but I think it has little or no meaning if utterly devoid of context.

* ± $%#@in' link(s)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
So I am sitting here perusing sewing patterns online, which I consider one of the great advances of technology (no more need to sit in Joann Fabrics for an hour hunting through pattern books).
Yes the internet has opened up a worldwide market in so many different spheres. But one of the joys of making your own clothes is to attend vintage events, where you can spend a few pleasurable hours, rummaging through old shoe boxes, packed with original patterns from 70/80/90 years ago. You might also be lucky enough to find one or two with short scribbled messages on them. And the prices, something like 6d, that's sixpence before we decimalised our currency. You can find them marked five cents too.
We have a pattern that has a message on the sleeve in pencil that reads: "Sending this to you Mildred, it's clothed my two, I've a few off-cuts left over if you need them."

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
(Not to chide/pick-on any post(er) here, but . . .)

Whatever happened to Photo Captions*?

A picture might be 'worth a thousand words', but I think it has little or no meaning if utterly devoid of context.

* ± $%#@in' link(s)

A few points.

1. I know you are referring to my post, your protest to the contrary notwithstanding.

2. I quoted my own prior post, a whole FOUR posts prior to the photo, as a "caption". There is "context" if you bother to look for it.

3. Next time, send a PM instead of the public call out.

4. I'm calling you out publicly because I'm a hypocrite.

-Sean

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes the internet has opened up a worldwide market in so many different spheres. But one of the joys of making your own clothes is to attend vintage events, where you can spend a few pleasurable hours, rummaging through old shoe boxes, packed with original patterns from 70/80/90 years ago. You might also be lucky enough to find one or two with short scribbled messages on them. And the prices, something like 6d, that's sixpence before we decimalised our currency. You can find them marked five cents too.
We have a pattern that has a message on the sleeve in pencil that reads: "Sending this to you Mildred, it's clothed my two, I've a few off-cuts left over if you need them."
I have a small collection of older patterns which I love. I use modern patterns mainly for the kids, unless I already own a modern pattern. I've done quite a few of the vintage reprints for my daughter.

We don't have many vintage events in this area... I've never heard of one outside of the NYC area in my state. We have antique fairs, but I have never seen patterns or vintage clothing at these, the patterns I have came from a single estate auction. I grew up going to auctions (every weekend) and I've seen patterns maybe 3 or 4 times in my life; I own the only pre-1970s I've ever seen. There must have been patterns here at some point, and I don't think they all went to eBay, so I think many of them got thrown out.

I'm not sure why, but this area of the US has little regard for vintage stuff. I think it is largely due to economic circumstances, it is very depressed. The school our kids will someday attend runs a clothing closet and food pantry... and the clothes they have look like they are on their last legs. They send most of the kids home from that district with backpack meals... otherwise they won't eat all weekend. I don't think people living in that kind of abject poverty can think about things other than subsistence.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's like that here, too, and always has been. Most of the "vintage clothes" were turned into hand-me-downs and wore out long before they could become "collectibles." When I started actively looking for such things in the mid-seventies, 1930s furniture, books, and household stuff was everywhere -- but you never, ever saw "vintage clothes." Most people who lived around here in the thirties had very limited wardrobes, and being "in style" wasn't important to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL