Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Among the many symptoms of decrepitude afflicting me in recent years are foot problems. I see a podiatrist every now and then to whittle away on the soles of my feet. I no longer take for granted pain-free walking.

It might be just coincidental that such difficulties have been much diminished since I stopped wearing shoes from Payless. And it might not be.

I'm 30+ and I only want (real) shock-absorbed shoes for the rest of my life. WORKS!! :D

3fingers

One Too Many
It might be just coincidental that such difficulties have been much diminished since I stopped wearing shoes from Payless. And it might not be.
One of my coworkers insists on buying work boots from Walmart. The cheaper the better, preferably from the clearance rack. He also constantly complains of his feet hurting. I have tried to convince him to spend a bit more because he will be much happier day to day and will prevent problems down the road. I have also told him about buying good quality inlays to help. He won't do that either because they cost more than he pays for the boots. He spends 8 hours a day walking on concrete. It's not that he can't afford better, he just doesn't want to spend the money and just doesn't believe he will pay the price later.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A pair of OTC orthotic inserts go a long way to making every piece of footwear I own, as well as my legs and back, more comfortable. They offer some cushioning and get my semi-flat arch up a bit.

Here are some examples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sho...7f7eAhUrvFkKHYxlADwQ_AUIDygC&biw=1304&bih=694

After some experimenting, I had settled on these a long time ago. About $7/pair.

profoot.jpg

One of my coworkers insists on buying work boots from Walmart. The cheaper the better, preferably from the clearance rack. He also constantly complains of his feet hurting. I have tried to convince him to spend a bit more because he will be much happier day to day and will prevent problems down the road. I have also told him about buying good quality inlays to help. He won't do that either because they cost more than he pays for the boots. He spends 8 hours a day walking on concrete. It's not that he can't afford better, he just doesn't want to spend the money and just doesn't believe he will pay the price later.

I have several pairs of quality shoes, some of which are older than me, and most of which I have little reason to wear with any regularity, seeing how I rarely have reason to get gussied up.

I've come to see cheap shoes as false economy. People think I'm lying when I point to my Red Wing boots, which I bought new in 1974 (yes, 1974) and which I still wear when there's snow on the ground. I wore them almost daily when they were new, and eventually relegated them for wear when I expected to get dirty or when painting (they still bear reminders of paint jobs going back 40 years or more), so I can't claim they've seen regular use all those years. Still, they've proven their worth many times over. They're still perfectly serviceable, and they even have their original laces.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I spend a lot of time in Clinic shoes -- the ones originally made for nurses and waitresses and other women who are usually on their feet. The factory closed about ten years ago, and the model I prefer hasn't been made anywhere since then. So I haunt eBay on the continuous lookout for brown Clinic Coquettes in size 9.5 or 10 W, and every few years I find a pair. In the meantime, I'm constantly patching up the holes in the soles with Freesole, and hoping to get a bit more mileage out of the pairs I own.

3fingers

One Too Many
At least in NYC - we (the taxpayers) are always lectured to not complain about our high taxes because we have a lot of gov't.
I find that statement, which is no doubt coming from a beneficiary of the "lot of government " you are paying dearly for richer than 4 foot up a bull's @#s.
But having worked in municipal government it may well be that I am a bit cynical when the commoners are told to shut up and pay.
The waste and incompetence from our "leaders" even in our relatively small corner of the world is astounding.

Among the many symptoms of decrepitude afflicting me in recent years are foot problems. I see a podiatrist every now and then to whittle away on the soles of my feet. I no longer take for granted pain-free walking.

Even before my back problems developed I was constantly looking for comfortable shoes, sometimes not so successfully. One of my doctors recommended I narrow my search to shoes or boots designed specifically for people who do a lot of walking simply because they provide more support, and after doing the research I settled on a pair of hiking boots. Being budget conscious I initially balked at the cost, but decided it would be worth it if they helped to alleviate my back pain. That turned out to be a good decision because they did, and I wore that first pair almost every day for five years before our dog chewed one of 'em to pieces. I'm now on my second pair, and have worn them almost every day for nearly seven years. They're showing their age, but they're still comfortable and a little over $12 a year isn't a bad shoe budget. ;)

Even before my back problems developed I was constantly looking for comfortable shoes, sometimes not so successfully. One of my doctors recommended I narrow my search to shoes or boots designed specifically for people who do a lot of walking simply because they provide more support, and after doing the research I settled on a pair of hiking boots. Being budget conscious I initially balked at the cost, but decided it would be worth it if they helped to alleviate my back pain. That turned out to be a good decision because they did, and I wore that first pair almost every day for five years before our dog chewed one of 'em to pieces. I'm now on my second pair, and have worn them almost every day for nearly seven years. They're showing their age, but they're still comfortable and a little over $12 a year isn't a bad shoe budget. ;)

What kind of boots do you got? General hiking boots (C-category) or lighter multifunction boots (D-category?).

As I mentioned before, I just love multifunction boots, which combine so perfectly lightweight (700 grams x 2), supporting mid-cut and additional shock-absorber.
And I got an additional pair of even lighter runners boots (E-category), which I bought some time ago, to got a pair of shock-absorbed boots for the case of not getting new multifunction boots on storebrand price level again. :D

What kind of boots do you got? General hiking boots (C-category) or lighter multifunction boots (D-category?)...
Hell, I didn't even know there were different categories for hiking boots until I read your post. :D Anyway, the boots I chose are made here in the U.S. by Timberland and they're called Chocorua Trail. I have no idea which classification they fit into. I use them for every day wear and have only occasionally done any actual hiking in them, but so far they've met my needs extremely well.

Hell, I didn't even know there were different categories for hiking boots until I read your post. :D Anyway, the boots I chose are made here in the U.S. by Timberland and they're called Chocorua Trail. I have no idea which classification they fit into. I use them for every day wear and have only occasionally done any actual hiking in them, but so far they've met my needs extremely well.

Yep, that are general hiking boots (stronger, no additional shock-absorber under the heel).

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Bears vs Giants, Coach N decided to call a time out at the bottom of the first half, which occasioned
continued offensive action, securing opponent momentum; ultimately the game was lost.
So much subjectivity blah, blah, blah, but the sideliners as well as the field, need adherence
to basic fundamentals. The Coach in particular. Chicago is now 8-4.

Bears vs Giants, Coach N decided to call a time out at the bottom of the first half, which occasioned
continued offensive action, securing opponent momentum; ultimately the game was lost.
So much subjectivity blah, blah, blah, but the sideliners as well as the field, need adherence
to basic fundamentals. The Coach in particular. Chicago is now 8-4.

The Giants did everything they could to lose that game at the end of regular play.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
What you might describe as: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Aptly describes Nagy's belated time-out call at the bottom of the 1st half. A late whistle stirred the dogs
enough to rally and he subsequently blamed the D for inadequate coverage. If Nagy would develop
a viable run game instead of over reliance on Cohen, spread the pain around, cease the tricks and stick
to basic football he'd be a far better head coach.

Bulls beat: Fred got fired but Gar remains...injustice.
H always seemed more the college coach but the team should have
let him stay the end of season....

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have several pairs of quality shoes, some of which are older than me, and most of which I have little reason to wear with any regularity, seeing how I rarely have reason to get gussied up.

I've come to see cheap shoes as false economy. People think I'm lying when I point to my Red Wing boots, which I bought new in 1974 (yes, 1974) and which I still wear when there's snow on the ground. I wore them almost daily when they were new, and eventually relegated them for wear when I expected to get dirty or when painting (they still bear reminders of paint jobs going back 40 years or more), so I can't claim they've seen regular use all those years. Still, they've proven their worth many times over. They're still perfectly serviceable, and they even have their original laces.

You'll never be accused of being penny wise & pound foolish.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
When you can buy trainers, (not that I ever would,) at Asda, the Walmart owned UK supermarket, for £12:50, then at the other end of the scale designer trainers cost £1075, you have to ask. "What exactly, is value for money?"
These are the expensive trainers.
View attachment 147859

That’s just absurd. It is one thing to spend extra money for quality materials and workmanship, but paying big bucks for ratty, worn-out looking clothing makes no sense to me at all. I guess if you’re never going to do any strenuous activity to put honest wear on your clothes, you pay extra to look like you do? :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk