Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
My mum spoke what was referred to as "broad Scots", a broad term (pun inteneded) that includes dialects of Scottish English.

Read a Robbie Burns poem, you'll get the idea.

Or watch The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, later series with the Scots cook speaking a made-up version!

I can hear my grandmother now, " The Morrison kilt is like the Black Watch but not!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Whilst I can empathise with your sentiment, I don't agree that The Fedora Lounge is a hat forum. The name, fedora, is most definitely a description of a style of hat, but having the word lounge, makes the forum a much broader church.

The members that post about their jackets have just as strong affinity to the Fedora Lounge as those who post about their hats. Furthermore, the members who are leather jacket aficionados are polite, knowledgeable and never engage in any sort protestation about other topics, indeed, many post on a variety of threads. It's that rich diversity on so many subjects that make The Fedora Lounge such an enjoyable experience. Long may it be so.

I can even remember when we spent a very great deal of time here discussing, in depth, all aspects of the 1930s and 40s. We used to have a pretty strong reputation for that, in fact.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I can even remember when we spent a very great deal of time here discussing, in depth, all aspects of the 1930s and 40s. We used to have a pretty strong reputation for that, in fact.
Indeed, Lizzie, you are so right. However, if a forum is to last it must expand, take on new subjects, whilst keeping a passing nod to the original ideals. In my time here I have seen many members come and go, it's sad when they no longer post, could it be that they feel that The Lounge is too insular?
At the risk of stroking your ego, I would argue that one of the most addictive reasons that members come back, time and time again, is because, one LizzieMaine, is so perceptive and can react so eloquently, that members log on just to see what nuggets of that strong perception of her's can come up with, on any of the threads that she is engaging with.

The youngest people with firsthand recollections of that time would be 80 now, or close to it. People born during the Depression are now well into their 80s, and some in their early 90s. Very few who were adults then, even during the latter years of “the Era,” are still alive.

I don’t think I’m projecting too much in observing that people often harbor a fascination with the world of their parents’ and grandparents’ early lives. It’s true of me, and of others with whom I’ve discussed the matter. The world that made them has its echoes in us, for sure.

Those of us born in the post-War baby boom are getting on in years ourselves. Relatively few of us have surviving parents, let alone grandparents.

I’d wager that these days the mention of “vintage” conjures in most people’s minds images from the 1960s and ’70s.

I’d welcome more discussions on the 1930s and ’40s. But I accept that nothing lasts forever. And I remind myself that the last of my grandparents died in 1989, and that my mother still survives. The 1960s and ’70s was their world, too.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
The youngest people with firsthand recollections of that time would be 80 now, or close to it. People born during the Depression are now well into their 80s, and some in their early 90s. Very few who were adults then, even during the latter years of “the Era,” are still alive.

I don’t think I’m projecting too much in observing that people often harbor a fascination with the world of their parents’ and grandparents’ early lives. It’s true of me, and of others with whom I’ve discussed the matter. The world that made them has its echoes in us, for sure.

Those of us born in the post-War baby boom are getting on in years ourselves. Relatively few of us have surviving parents, let alone grandparents.

I’d wager that these days the mention of “vintage” conjures in most people’s minds images from the 1960s and ’70s.

I’d welcome more discussions on the 1930s and ’40s. But I accept that nothing lasts forever. And I remind myself that the last of my grandparents died in 1989, and that my mother still survives. The 1960s and ’70s was their world, too.

Listening to accounts of "the old days" from my parents, grandparents, and their contemporaries was always a lot more interesting that playing stupid games with kids who could barely recall what transpired last month. So to find others from different age groups who are similarly wired is a good thing. That's why I'm here and why I stick around.

^^^^^
My dear old ma’s oldest great-grandkid is now 12, or 13, maybe. He lives in the same small town she does, and mows her lawn and tends to other chores around her house. And he can’t get enough of his great-grandma’s stories of her early years. I suspect he’ll find other fascinations once puberty hits him hard, and he becomes more compelled by ladies born in the same century he was. But he’s been lucky to have a great-grandma who listens to him and she’s been lucky to have a great-grandson who listens to her.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Funny thing is, for me the 70s and 80s *were* the Depression. Graduating into 25 percent local unemployment had my grandmother and me swapping stories.

As for forums expanding beyond their original brief, I guess it's a lot like cable TV channels. Remember when "Arts & Entertainment" actually showed Arts and Entertainment, the Learning Channel was all about educational programming, the History Channel was documentaries about WWII, and channels with "news" in their name actually showed news? It's my theory that, eventually, all forms of media will degrade to an endless scroll of elderly Joe Namath grimacing insanely into the camera trying to sell you supplemental Medicare insurance.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
... the History Channel was documentaries about WWII...

Several years ago I stopped by my sister's and the living room television was tuned to
the History Channel, a rarity there since the kids favored the standard run of shit and my sister
is hooked on Hallmark, CIS, other medical shows to the exclusion of anything (substantive) else.

History featured a Vietnam War episode and the main interviewee was the late Maj Gen George Putnam,
a fine man, outstanding soldier, and officer. He once asked me what I was doing to progress in my
military career and I frankly replied I chased girls, drank, and played poker.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Funny thing is, for me the 70s and 80s *were* the Depression. Graduating into 25 percent local unemployment had my grandmother and me swapping stories.

As for forums expanding beyond their original brief, I guess it's a lot like cable TV channels. Remember when "Arts & Entertainment" actually showed Arts and Entertainment, the Learning Channel was all about educational programming, the History Channel was documentaries about WWII, and channels with "news" in their name actually showed news? It's my theory that, eventually, all forms of media will degrade to an endless scroll of elderly Joe Namath grimacing insanely into the camera trying to sell you supplemental Medicare insurance.

You mean to say Namath no longer sells pantyhose???

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

A&E for us was like PBS and the Ontario public network TVO in being a source of great British shows, like The Chinese Detective. History had great second world War series.

Now ithey are Storage Wars and the Oak Island thing.

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Trivial? maybe not.... but the ESPN financial hold (control) over everything discussed about professional football and basketball and Div I football and basketball and the Power 5 conferences is almost beyond belief. Not long ago during the height of NCAA "March Madness" tourney, Mike Greenberg on GET UP opening story was on Aaron Rodgers! Hey Greeny, give me a break... and would it really hurt to just give the score to a Div II or Div III or NAIA game once in a while?

The History Channel is so full of crap like Ghost Hunters, Bigfoot Hunters, Ancient Aliens, Alien Crap, more Ghost crap, and other crap presented by people without credentials or those with credentials for a all together unrelated field. A lot of vague information, out-and-out lies, and stretching to make something out of nothing and posing it as credible information when we all can see it is crap.
:D

The History Channel is so full of crap like Ghost Hunters, Bigfoot Hunters, Ancient Aliens, Alien Crap, more Ghost crap, and other crap presented by people without credentials or those with credentials for a all together unrelated field. A lot of vague information, out-and-out lies, and stretching to make something out of nothing and posing it as credible information when we all can see it is crap.
:D

That pretty well sums it up.

People wanna believe. Even those who know it’s mostly BS get something out of the fantasy, I think. After all, they have hundreds — thousands — of other viewing options these days. They’re like kids with imaginary friends.

EDIT: I’m not a mind reader so I can’t say what anyone believes, but I have known people who give every indication that they actually do believe.

People who know that pro rasslin’ is scripted (does anyone without a significant intellectual disability NOT know the outcome is determined in advance?) still let themselves get caught up in the fantasy. It’s really not so different from getting choked up at a sad ending to a movie, while knowing all along that it’s fiction.

Last edited:

ChrisB

A-List Customer
That pretty well sums it up.

People wanna believe. Even those who know it’s mostly BS get something out of the fantasy, I think. After all, they have hundreds — thousands — of other viewing options these days. They’re like kids with imaginary friends.

Every new medium is hailed as an educational opportunity, but eventually becomes a circus sideshow.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
We live in a society geared by the fundamental mechanics of its construction to always aim for the lowest common denominator. You can't change that without changing the mechanics themselves.

The other day I culled an Edgar Allan Poe essay from the New Criterion, within said were critical commentary past
and present, Poe had his detractors including Henry James; whom I particularly dislike, and TS Eliot, poet patrician,
and a man to be admired but rather surprisingly savage in his spite; reminiscent of Oscar Wilde's caustic criticism
of Elizabeth Barrett Browning-ironically, the woman to whom Poe, smitten by her dedicated The Raven.
The Net has proved itself useful during VID and otherwise, doesn't need be a circus sideshow. Similarly
societal fundamental construction is sound; however, man has the freedom to cast his eyes toward the sky
or downward to the ground. It all boils a caldron to brass tacks individual choice.

Last edited:
We live in a society geared by the fundamental mechanics of its construction to always aim for the lowest common denominator. You can't change that without changing the mechanics themselves.

Not always, maybe, but often if not most of the time. That’s where the reliable revenue is, after all.

It was common in my early years for working-class people to carpool (my dear old ma did) and take in sewing (ditto) and for kids to wear patched hand-me-downs and do any number of other things to stretch a buck. There was no stigma in it, but I strongly suspect there would be today.

Our folks were children of the Depression, and possessed an almost innate ability to distinguish intrinsic value from hyperbole. Nice new things are, well, nice. But a resoled pair of shoes functions every bit as well a new pair.

Charles Eames’s banana leaf parable comes to mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails