Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Hercule

Practically Family
I know you have already taken care to call your mother to have the check cancelled,
but was it a personal, bank cashier check, and letter envelope certified return receipt requested?
Personal check. Can't get through to the bank until morning. Wife filed report with PO. Unfortunately no tracking, after all what could possibly happen? Mom in law very trusting.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Personal check. Can't get through to the bank until morning. Wife filed report with PO. Unfortunately no tracking, after all what could possibly happen? Mom in law very trusting.
If your mother is out-of-state, call the FBI, have bank check routing #, acct # feds can track probable
check route. Also, banks can wire funds that amount direct to account.

Fifty150

One Too Many
call the FBI

You could try the USPS Police. Although I am still a little fuzzy as to what they really do.

1649991250259.png

Hercule

Practically Family
You could try the USPS Police. Although I am still a little fuzzy as to what they really do.

View attachment 418671
Filed a report with the postal police who issued 2 case numbers: one for the opened mail and another for the stolen check. We'll see how that unfold. Girl taking the report wasn't very impressive in her engagement or her english diction. Meanwhile MnL is trying to stop payment on the check. Luckily wife's cousin is on site so will help to set up electronic transfers in the future.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Congrats. USPS interstate mailing of personal/cashier check paper incur fed involve,
and anything within any fed agency/org or sited federal property ditto.
And withdrawls, deposits over $3k are considered 'significant' Mister Sam...;)

Apparently it's exciting enough to make a TV show (then again ... maybe not that exciting).

View attachment 418814
"Well Mitch, we've traced a number of shipments to a single address in Missouri, and each carton contained what the x-ray revealed to be an old hat; sometimes two or three. Authorities are attempting to piece it together as we speak. Back to you, Amanda."

You know those paid death notices (commonly but inaccurately called “obituaries”) that show up in your local newspaper and online?

Some are actually pretty good, especially the self-deprecating ones penned by the decedents in the days and weeks prior to their deaths.

And then there are the others.

A fellow I used to work with died in a car wreck a while back. When news of this came my way, some months after the sad event, I looked up the notice online. One sentence, “Everyone he met was instantly his friend,” was just so far from true (and really, how could it be?), and so unlike anything the departed would have said about himself, as to be insulting to his memory.

If you can’t say something positive about a person without resorting to outright BS, well, it might be best to say nothing at all.

Last edited:

basbol13

A-List Customer
Sadly apropos to today's discussion: Mom in law sent an Easter card with 6k check in on Monday. Card arrived this afternoon (Thursday), envelope had been opened and the check was missing. USPS is a closed system is it not? Gee, who could have taken it?
When I worked there, I loaded trucks, and occasionally a sorter would like to know what was in a box so would "accidentally" damage it. One time there was a pellet gun in the package and guess what this sorter was doing with it after he loaded it???

Hercule

Practically Family
When I worked there, I loaded trucks, and occasionally a sorter would like to know what was in a box so would "accidentally" damage it. One time there was a pellet gun in the package and guess what this sorter was doing with it after he loaded it???

Why am I not surprised? Despite our regular carrier being the nicest guy on the planet, this recent incident only reinforced my absolute disgust and mistrust of the USPS. Horror stories are everywhere. My wife works with a woman whose daughter recently got a job with the PO. She totaled 2 (yes 2!) mail delivery trucks in her first week as a carrier. She's no doubt now on the fast track for promotion!

Of the two cases filed with regard to our incident, we've only been contacted by the local branch, which concerned itself with the opened mail aspect. Excuse given was that processing machines sometimes tear open letters and dislodge their contents. A found check would supposedly be returned to the address on the check. Ok, sure. We are yet to be contacted regarding the check itself which was a separate case number.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Fell off the wagon yesterday. Family function, ate like a pig. All out, went hog wild. Chocolate, to be sure,
but emptied plates second, third. Cold bottles of Michelob. Caught a White Sox doubleheader.
Some basketball. All in all a great time. Gettin back up is gonna be a chore.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A new annoyance -- businesses using "the pandemic" as an excuse for any irritating dubious change they want to enforce on an unwilling public.

We've dealt since 2005 with the same wholesale supplier of paper goods and cleaning products, which started out as a regional company and was engulfed about five years ago by one of the big national names in that field. We are a classic "small, local operation" here, and we don't use a lot of merchandise, but we have been a steady customer, have always paid our bills on time, and have always had a good relationship with the sales department.

So imagine my delight today when I called to place an order, and was basically told that they don't want our business anymore, "because the pandemic has required" them to confine their accounts to big, high-volume customers at the expense of the small locals. Well isn't that just peachy-ducky. And it turns out all the other such companies in the field serving our area have similar policies.

"It's the pandemic, sorry."

Yeah, right. I'm sure you haven't been planning to do this since 2016.

^^^^^
Yeah, that sounds like nothing but a lame excuse.

So, whatcha gonna do? You need the supplies. Sounds like it’s just gonna be more costly, in money and/or employee time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff