Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
^^^^^
Yeah, that sounds like nothing but a lame excuse.

So, whatcha gonna do? You need the supplies. Sounds like it’s just gonna be more costly, in money and/or employee time.
I'm trying to set up a deal with a local jobber who can order the stuff from the wholesaler and deliver it to us, without taking too deep a cut. Remember when "cut out the middleman!" was a sales pitch? NOT ANYMORE.

^^^^^
I think you’re asking if there’s such a thing as a “windproof” lighter.

If so, I’d like to know as well. I don’t smoke, but I still occasionally have need to start a fire.

Yeah, I got a classic storm lighter.

But there´s a lever on the top leftside. When you flip the lever up, it blocks the cap from closing.

But what is the sense of that??

Like this one. What does the leftside lever, when flipped up?

111651-500x400.jpg

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Like this one. What does the leftside lever, when flipped up?

^^^^^
It’s there to hold the lid away from the flame, I’m guessing, so that it isn’t in the way when the lighter is turned upside down. Or sideways. I hear there are reasons to do that, licit and illicit.

And then when you snap the lid shut, it puts spring tension on the lid to hold it closed - the tip of the lever inserts into a small pocket in the lid, and when the lid is snapped shut the lever toggles the other direction and puts pressure against the pocket to hold the lid shut. That's why the lid won't shut if the lever is flipped up without the lid; the lever then hits on the wrong wall of the internal pocket, which interferes with the lid closing fully.

At least that's how it works on Zippo lighters. If I'm not mistaken, on some of the aftermarket butane inserts made for the Zippo, that lever also opens the valve to let the gas vapor flow. It may be the same on the example you show.

And no, I've never been a smoker, but I learned as a young teen that a lighter is a handy thing to have on hand. When my Grandad passed, I latched onto his brass Zippo and have carried it daily for right at 25 years now.

Last edited:

basbol13

A-List Customer
^^^^^
It’s there to hold the lid away from the flame, I’m guessing, so that it isn’t in the way when the lighter is turned upside down. Or sideways. I hear there are reasons to do that, licit and illicit.
Problem is with turning sideways or up side down, with the standard Zippo it's impossible to light a pipe, you need a special Zippo to do that.

Edward

Bartender
The Met Gala Ball. Not the event itself, but rather the inevitable flood of tedious smuggery from self-appointed arbiters of style, vintage or otherwise, who fall all over themselves to be the most critical of everything worn at it, the be the first to scream "Who?" at the very mention of each and every big name celebrity in some outlandish costume, and to sneer the loudest about how irrelevant it all is. So irrelevant to their perfect lives, they'll obsess about it for at least a fortnight.....

*Halbneffe? Welche hälfte, links oder rechts?

*"Half-nephew? Which half, left or right?"

Pa´s side. A half-sister´s son. Born in 1984, too. But his brother is dead since ca. 2007

So, my other half-sister´s son, born in 2004, got an "uncle", born in 1984 (Me) and a cousin, born in 1984.

HAHA!! :D

Last edited:
The last time, when I collected my medicament recipe, the new doc´s assistant viewed my data in the terminal and said surprised:
"Ooh, you got only one (medicament)!"

That´s old, overaging german smalltown, LIVE. ;););)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
All this week I have been covering someone who is on leave, where I work. It has meant early starts, as in six o'clock start. My alarm is set for five fifteen but this morning I woke at four fifteen, my aching bladder forced a trip to the bathroom, then sleep would not come, that is until ten minutes before the alarm went off, by then I was in a deep slumber. I should have got up when I first woke but I felt cheated out of an hour's sleep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ