Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The "relaxed" attitude involved in pretty much everything these days is not restricted to the UK. If it's just a one-time "bait" e-mail or text I just delete it and go about my day because if you reply they know they have a valid e-mail address/phone number. But if it becomes repetitive my usual response is along the lines of "F*** off" as you wrote above.
In the latest instance it is a company I have worked with for some years. I have had a grovelling apology from the boss, but he seems not to understand fully that this type of email is unacceptable. It’s reassuring in a way to know that it isn’t just the U.K.

Meh, now it´s final.

I can´t anymore completely open the e-mail accounts with the last Firefox (2018) on the Windows XP (!) desktop of my Mum´s home! :mad:

Thanks, Deutsche Telekom AG!

But my Mum can open her over the smartphone, of course.

And luckily, I can of course open both accounts on my home´s notebook with Xubuntu + actual Firefox.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A lot of the things I see around me aren't so much "I wish they wouldn't do that" as much as "what drives them to do that?" The whole water-bottle thing is a good example -- the "to show how sporty you are" comment made earlier ties in with my own theory, that this and the related display of other markers of "fitness culture,", like dressing in full competitive bicycling garb to go to the grocery store, leaving expired ski-lift tags dangling from the zipper of your coat, or wearing yoga pants to the office, is simply another form of conspicuous consumption. Displaying your physical fitness, or, more often, markers of your interest in physical fitness, is a way of showing the world that you have, or that you want people to think that you have, the economic and class privilege that allows you to participate in these types of activities on such a scale that you can afford the necessary specialized gear. Thorstein Veblen would nod and say "nothing ever changes.."

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You may as well ask him to dress for dinner. Request that he wear a dinner jacket. Make your house "black tie".

As I discovered in real life, nobody really knows what it means when invitations read "semi formal", "black tie", "formal", or "white tie". Because people in general no longer care to follow those rules of etiquette.
We were at a "drive it day," an MG gathering last Sunday.
Maria & NFR 2022 004.JPG
You can just about see Tina standing next to our car, the red and cream one on the left. Tina & I were in full period dress. We were photographed as much as the cars.
The drive finished at a rather top end hotel where a cream tea was laid on for all. Needing the comfort stop, I asked at reception, the lady was most complimentary about my attire. "It's so nice to see a gentleman wearing a tie," she said, adding, almost inaudibly, "there was a time when a gentleman would be asked to put a tie on," the hotel had their own and said tie-less gent would be offered one, pro bono.

I laughed and said that you know pro bono is commonly thought to be the Latin for free?" It actually means, "for the public good." "Your knowledge of Latin is impressive," she replied, "and how astute the term pro bono was." We both laughed, then Tina appeared, looking for me and the lady went into raptures over my wife's outfit.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@GHT
The events that you attend always take me back to a more tranquil Britain… one where you can count on Father Brown to solve the case before tea. I‘m afraid that I haven’t worn a tie in two years. In my current incarnation, I doubt I’ll ever wear a tie again. (Well, maybe if one of my daughters gets married. But I’m not holding my breath about such an event.) Anyway, I very much enjoy your and Tina’s adventures.

Fifty150

One Too Many
or wearing yoga pants to the office

Displaying your physical fitness, or, more often, markers of your interest in physical fitness,

Except for the people who wear yoga pants, who are not physically fit. It's not just the office. Yoga pants are now a fashion item. People wear yoga pants everywhere. And a lot of those people, are not athletic, in any way. I think that for some of those people, they enjoy the attention from showing off every curve, crack, and crevice. Especially the girls who wear yoga pants with heels.

1655351556412.png
1655351806356.png

GHT

I'll Lock Up
@GHT
The events that you attend always take me back to a more tranquil Britain… one where you can count on Father Brown to solve the case before tea. I‘m afraid that I haven’t worn a tie in two years. In my current incarnation, I doubt I’ll ever wear a tie again. (Well, maybe if one of my daughters gets married. But I’m not holding my breath about such an event.) Anyway, I very much enjoy your and Tina’s adventures.
What a lovely compliment, thank you very much. We are off to The Nostalgia Show this coming weekend. Watch this space.
https://www.thenostalgiashow.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhfmjiZmx-AIVBZ53Ch3LzQMjEAAYASAAEgLtXfD_BwE

Turnip

Except for the people who wear yoga pants, who are not physically fit. It's not just the office. Yoga pants are now a fashion item. People wear yoga pants everywhere. And a lot of those people, are not athletic, in any way. I think that for some of those people, they enjoy the attention from showing off every curve, crack, and crevice. Especially the girls who wear yoga pants with heels.

Little kids and yoga pants always tell the truth.

That surprises me!
The Yoga pants fashion trend went through Germany in summer 2018 and luckily disappeared very fast! :)

But I´m so old now (nearly 38), that the one thing will surely come back in the next years:

Low rise jeans and thong, the WALE TAIL!

And the tramp stamp/arse antlers!! ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I know many young women with tattoos, and none of them fit that particular expression in any way.

I have no tattoos myself, but if I ever did get one, it would be in precisely in the location implied by that phrase. And it would be an image of mistletoe.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I know many young women with tattoos, and none of them fit that particular expression in any way.

I have no tattoos myself, but if I ever did get one, it would be in precisely in the location implied by that phrase. And it would be an image of mistletoe.
Whilst I wouldn't castigate my grandmother, I do empathise with your remark. My grandparents were of a generation that had strong terms for anyone who stepped out of line. Frightened, pregnant teenage women were fair game.

Austria: "tramp stamp"
Germany: "underclass barcode" / the famous "arse antlers"
Switzerland: "arse vignette"

Because it was THE ultimate fashion trend in the low-end education milieu from the late 90s until mid 2000s.
All these girls of this generation were so embarrassed, ten years later, that the majority got rid of it as fast as possible.
Tattooists here indeed reported, that all the girls, which stood in line for the Tribal tattoos, ten years ago, now again practically "stood in line" to get it removed. Haha!! :D

4132826d1f117f24fdf67bd58fc847b8.jpg

Tiki Tom

One of our biggest successes, as parents, was too successfully talk our daughters out of getting tattoos. The social pressure from age 16 to 22 was great, and they wanted so much to appear to be unique and rebellious. Anyway, now they seem to be satisfied that they are tattoo free.

One of our biggest successes, as parents, was too successfully talk our daughters out of getting tattoos. The social pressure from age 16 to 22 was great, and they wanted so much to appear to be unique and rebellious. Anyway, now they seem to be satisfied that they are tattoo free.

I´m (37) still tattoo-free.
Wanna know why? Simple story. I never catched the point of it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Instead of tattoos, i have scars. Lots of them. One of them, on my left forearm, is a ferocious-looking three inch long gash I got when a piece of the popcorn machine sliced me open when I was working on it many years ago. That failing to be a colorful enough story, I tell people I got it when a drunken patron in the balcony pulled a razor on me while I was tossing him out. And then when people are suitably horrified, I say "you should see what I did to him."

A lot of the things I see around me aren't so much "I wish they wouldn't do that" as much as "what drives them to do that?" The whole water-bottle thing is a good example -- the "to show how sporty you are" comment made earlier ties in with my own theory, that this and the related display of other markers of "fitness culture,", like dressing in full competitive bicycling garb to go to the grocery store, leaving expired ski-lift tags dangling from the zipper of your coat, or wearing yoga pants to the office, is simply another form of conspicuous consumption. Displaying your physical fitness, or, more often, markers of your interest in physical fitness, is a way of showing the world that you have, or that you want people to think that you have, the economic and class privilege that allows you to participate in these types of activities on such a scale that you can afford the necessary specialized gear. Thorstein Veblen would nod and say "nothing ever changes.."
There was a small group of people that would bring their Big Gulp sized water bottles to church each Sunday. I often wondered "What, they can't go an hour without fear of dehydration?" They would sip away during the service as if in a movie theatre. I take small solace that they so far have eschewed the popcorn.

I´m (37) still tattoo-free.
Wanna know why? Simple story. I never catched the point of it.
I used to poke my wife by suggesting she get a tattoo. She strongly refused. Now that we are well into old age and we see similarly aged women with sun damaged/age damaged inked blurrs on their skin...I poke my wife by saying aren't you glad I talked you out of that tattoo all those years ago. For that I get "The Look".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21