Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Once upon a time, the meaning of life was clear to me: To be a good father and raise my kids in a good manner. That was just a temporary fix. Am again in the market for meaning. At a reasonable price, of course.

To me it’s long time been just a vague idea that reified to conviction while almost pinching my butt from cancer. Human life has no deeper meaning at all, it’s just a freak of nature.
Or as a German golden era saying stated: Enjoy the war, peace will be horrible.

Turnip

Euphemisms.

We live in an age of euphemisms, where we dare not state a truth or call anything what it truly is.

I won’t cite examples, because I’d probably get banned.

And we live in an age of sensitivities where everyone appears to be offended by everything.

The reason imho is economic development and physical welfare that brought about one of the worst scourges mankind ever achieved: Too much leisure time.

Edward

Bartender
And we live in an age of sensitivities where everyone appears to be offended by everything.

The reason imho is economic development and physical welfare that brought about one of the worst scourges mankind ever achieved: Too much leisure time.

Too much leisure time? Where???

To be fair, I'd mind working sixty hours a week a whole lot less if I was paid for more then thirty-five of them.

Gusty winds tonight with very dry conditions (especially after 8 days of 100 degrees plus temperatures) and plenty of Idiots setting of illegal fireworks. People just don’t learn.
:D
It’s all my poor dog can do to survive mid June through mid July, what with all the amateur pyrotechnicians living around here. The vet gave us a scrip for diazepam, which is better than nothing, I suppose, but the little guy still trembles and climbs all over me with every boom.

Laws regarding fireworks are far more lax in Wyoming, which is just a hop, skip, and a jump up Interstate 25. Fireworks stores (not stands, stores) are right over the state line.

I might be more sympathetic to Wyomingites’ complaints of their residents driving down to Colorado to procure pot if they didn’t shrug at our complaints of the fireworks our locals are buying from them.

Gusty winds tonight with very dry conditions (especially after 8 days of 100 degrees plus temperatures) and plenty of Idiots setting of illegal fireworks. People just don’t learn.
It's no different down here in the southern part of the state. High temps in the upper-80s to mid-90s for the last couple of weeks and low humidity (2%-3%) means everything is as dry as a bone, yet the idiots for miles around insist on using their home-built mortars to launch their illegal explosives into the skies. People truly are stupid.

Turnip

Too much leisure time? Where???

To be fair, I'd mind working sixty hours a week a whole lot less if I was paid for more then thirty-five of them.

OK, maybe that’s rather a scourge German union jobs induced. :D

By the way, BOSCH introduced the 8h working day for their entire staff in 1906…:cool:

Last edited:

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
I still like to read maps. For fifty years, I worked in the construction industry. Reading blue prints at first and later construction drawings generated either by hand or computers, was much-like reading maps. These were the maps of the buildings, and they showed how things were built and the layout of the mechanical and other systems throughout the hidden portions of the structures. The parts that most people never see and probably do not understand. I think deciphering the drawings and creating an overall plan of performing our work was one of my great experiences in my work life.

It’s all my poor dog can do to survive mid June through mid July, what with all the amateur pyrotechnicians living around here. The vet gave us a scrip for diazepam, which is better than nothing, I suppose, but the little guy still trembles and climbs all over me with every boom.

Laws regarding fireworks are far more lax in Wyoming, which is just a hop, skip, and a jump up Interstate 25. Fireworks stores (not stands, stores) are right over the state line.

I might be more sympathetic to Wyomingites’ complaints of their residents driving down to Colorado to procure pot if they didn’t shrug at our complaints of the fireworks our locals are buying from them.
It scares the heck out of our cats too. It is why we stay home on the Fourth so that they can sit with us and feel safe. Strangely, the noise making started later this year. Hopefully, it will end sooner than it normally does.

Last edited:
Legalizing fireworks was one of the stupidest in a long series of stupid decisions made in my state during the 2010s. Just ask that drunken fool up the County who tried to launch a rocket off the top of his head. Happy Fourth!
We have had a few fires started locally by illegal fireworks. We already have enough fires in the neighboring hills, it’s not like there was a shortage of things to do for firefighters.

It's no different down here in the southern part of the state. High temps in the upper-80s to mid-90s for the last couple of weeks and low humidity (2%-3%) means everything is as dry as a bone, yet the idiots for miles around insist on using their home-built mortars to launch their illegal explosives into the skies. People truly are stupid.
I would expect it is the same everywhere. Stupid exists all over the world. Just watch a few videos on Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes on reddit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch