Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I don't mind adaptation where that is necessary to the form. Although we live in an era in which multi-media formatting is seen as inherently desirable, the reality is that not every book will work as a faithful screen-adaptation any more than every film could be translated into a decent book. (There's a thing we rarely see now: the "book of them film". I remember well enough in the eighties you would still see novelisations of popular films on regular sale. The concept largely died out when home video reached the point where it was affordable and accessible to own your own copy of the film instead. It does, though, live on in a limited form in that original films based on comic book properties will often see a 'graphic novel' tie-in version and/or spin offs. However, I digress....)

I don't mind some truncation of plots, or simplifications or whatever if needed for the form. Jaws radically cut down on several sub-plots when translated to screen, introduced others (the USS Indianapolis link in particular), and altered the end to the shark (in the book, the shark dies slowly from wounds already inflicted). Both work, just different animals. Trainspotting was another - the book, film, and stage show are all slightly different animals, each playing to their own formats. It is true, however, that for every plot change in a film which improves on the original (Watchmen is an excellent case in point: same basic plot point, but different, better, Maguffin), there are a few more that make a hash of it. I'll never forget a truly dreadful version of Wuthering Heights that cut out the entire second half of the book by having Hindley Earnshaw succeed in murdering Heathcliff.

In the era of cinema-level-budget TV/streaming, though, now that TV is no longer second fiddle to cinema, I think there's a lot to be said for using that format instead. Why cram it all into one or two films, when you can cover the plot in a required depth in the context of a series of a dozen parts of an hour or more each? (Budget allowing, of course.) Some things work well in a shorter piece, others better long-form.

My favourite is probably The Texas Chainsaw Massacre's claim to be based on a true story. Which it is: Ed Gein. Of course, 'based on a true story' is a very wide field, from the most accurate of biography, to 'vaguely inspired by'. I do enjoy the playfulness to be had with the elasticity of the concept, though.

Heaven help us all if the little lady was allowed to step out of the shadow of her husband. after all!
Re. Mary Shelley: it was ironic, given that the Shelleys had views on marriage and the family that were considered radical in their day and probably would today still be seen as avant garde in large areas of Texas or Oklahoma.

Why We Can't Have Nice Things

July 10, 2022:
After six years and $600 million, the new Sixth Street Bridge linking Downtown LA and Boyle Heights and replacing the old bridge built in 1929, opens to great fanfare.

July 26, 2022:
The LAPD announces the indefinite closure of the Sixth Street Bridge due to "illegal activity": street racing, street takeovers, graffiti and even people climbing the concrete archways.

Last edited:
with the standard Zippo it's impossible to light a pipe, you need a special Zippo to do that.

I think a basic gas storm lighter with jetflame would be too hot and destructive for a pipe?
Aside of that, I actually can't complain about my three cheap storm lighters. They work reliable. BUT, as I read everywhere, the Piezo-igniter should be the weak point. And there are many folks reporting, that refilling isn't working properly on these cheap ones. I think, it's logical, that they are throwaway lighters. So I don't think, I will try to refill. My first one isn't empty, jet!

All I can actually say, these cheap, rubber coated storm lighters are fun! :)
But I of course got a classic metal (gas, not benzine) storm lighter as backup.

Last edited:
Why We Can't Have Nice Things

July 10, 2022:
After six years and $600 million, the new Sixth Street Bridge linking Downtown LA and Boyle Heights and replacing the old bridge built in 1929, opens to great fanfare.

July 26, 2022:
The LAPD announces the indefinite closure of the Sixth Street Bridge due to "illegal activity": street racing, street takeovers, graffiti and even people climbing the concrete archways.

The latest, according to a local morning news program, is that the city is going to add speed bumps to the bridge in an effort to reduce or eliminate the foolishness. I can't say I'm convinced it'll work.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think a basic gas storm lighter with jetflame would be too hot and destructive for a pipe?
Aside of that, I actually can't complain about my three cheap storm lighters. They work reliable. BUT, as I read everywhere, the Piezo-igniter should be the weak point. And there are many folks reporting, that refilling isn't working properly on these cheap ones. I think, it's logical, that they are throwaway lighters. So I don't think, I will try to refill. My first one isn't empty, jet!

All I can actually say, these cheap, rubber coated storm lighters are fun! :)
But I of course got a classic metal (gas, not benzine) storm lighter as backup.
My grandfather, an inveterate pipe smoker, had a "Nimrod" lighter, designed for use by hunters, hence the name. It was a long cylindrical thing that looked like a big carriage bolt, and the flame erupted from a hole in the center, which, as I saw him do it, was sucked downward into the pipe. One of these things --

NIMROD.jpg

The pipe reeked like a fire in a licorice factory, but I always thought the lighter was neat.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Definitely trivial. Not sure it ticks me off, but it does make me wonder. And I see it on a pretty regular basis:

Why do (many, not all) grown women feel compelled to sit on chairs Like they are some sort of a cat in front of an imaginary fireplace; with their legs snuggled up beneath them so that no part of their body touches the floor or even extends off the seat. I can’t imagine it’s all that comfortable. I have seen this in restaurants, so it is not purely an “at home” behavior. What am I not understanding?

Turnip

This must be an US phenomenon, never seen that in Germany nor anywhere around Europe, traveling this area round the compass rose.since decades.

Tiki Tom

This must be an US phenomenon, never seen that in Germany nor anywhere around Europe, traveling this area round the compass rose.since decades.
Good observation. I had never thought of it in a cultural context. But apparently you are not alone in looking at it this way:

https://www.teamblind.com/post/genu...irls-like-to-put-their-feet-on-chair-yqv6ux3N

The only comment I would make is that it is not limited to young girls. Although I would agree that it is mostly done by the very petite.

Which probably answers my original question. “In order to advertise how petite you are.”

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Definitely trivial. Not sure it ticks me off, but it does make me wonder. And I see it on a pretty regular basis:

Why do (many, not all) grown women feel compelled to sit on chairs Like they are some sort of a cat in front of an imaginary fireplace; with their legs snuggled up beneath them so that no part of their body touches the floor or even extends off the seat. I can’t imagine it’s all that comfortable. I have seen this in restaurants, so it is not purely an “at home” behavior. What am I not understanding?

I've always assumed it's a habitual behaviour borne of wearing a skirt and light stocking being so common - leaves the legs more exposed to the cold in Winter. Tuck them up against the upper leg, preserve body heat.

In a similar vein …

It doesn’t tick me off but my curiosity is piqued by women (and it seems to be only young women who do this) carrying their smartphones in a hip pants pocket.

Is this just a local phenomenon? Or is this seen elsewhere as well?

Edward

Bartender
My grandfather, an inveterate pipe smoker, had a "Nimrod" lighter, designed for use by hunters, hence the name. It was a long cylindrical thing that looked like a big carriage bolt, and the flame erupted from a hole in the center, which, as I saw him do it, was sucked downward into the pipe. One of these things --

View attachment 440934
The pipe reeked like a fire in a licorice factory, but I always thought the lighter was neat.

I've seen something very similar on Etsy in recent weeks. A new item, I think, but interesting to know the design has this historical pedigree.

In a similar vein …

It doesn’t tick me off but my curiosity is piqued by women (and it seems to be only young women who do this) carrying their smartphones in a hip pants pocket.

Is this just a local phenomenon? Or is this seen elsewhere as well?

I see it done a lot by both sexes. I get the impression that it's so often simply a habit born of the fact that so many modern trousers have front pockets far too shallow to accommodate contemporary smartphones, and that they are less likely to fall out of a rear pocket. This does seem somewhat more common in female clothing. (Mrs. Edward regularly bemoans the commonality of a lack of sensible pockets in modern-day ladieswear.) I do carry my phone in my front pockets - I actually try to never put anything in the rear. No doubt the phone can dig in in the front pocket when one sits down (another reason to opt for hip pockets, I suppose), but at the back I lean to the view that it's much more likely to be damaged by being sat on, and longer term I'm told that always sitting askew with a slight raise on one side can cause back problems. No less concerning to me is a long-held belief that anything in a rear pocket is much less secure. Only thing I ever carried that way was a wallet (usually one each side - one for cash, one for cards) back in the days when I used to use a 'skater wallet' on a chain affixed to my belt.

Ahh, the notorious "butt dial"!

I once managed that by sitting on a friend's phone in her hotel room as she packed. Turned out my rump had dialled her grandfather, who phoned her mother in a flap to report that she was in a room with a man, and underwear was involved in the conversation. Bless the old boy, I don't think he had at that point entirely comprehended that his granddaughter, a confident, out, gay woman, had no intention of ever doing anything of which he disapproved with a man. Amazing what people can write off as a "phase" if they put their mind to it.

^^^^^
I once heard on my voicemail a piece of a conversation I had in a restaurant the night before. That was just amusing.

Less amusing was when my then-girlfriend called my office, left a message on the only voicemail we had there, and then failed to hang up the call before she told a person in her physical presence how I was considering firing another person working there. One guess as to who first retrieved that voicemail.

The knowledge that such things do indeed happen has me doubly cautious. I’ve been known to turn off my phone entirely before entering into a conversation I expect to remain confidential.

@tonyb

Back to the (cheap) jetflame lighter topic.

The funny thing about them:
They seem to be very energy-efficient!
You know, the pink one was my very first and look at the filling level! The grey one is a new.

These jetflame lighters are totally fun and I love my "Pinky". :) But they are not really storm lighters! Just simple gas burners.

Refilling might be senseless with these short-living piezo igniters, but if every new one is that longliving, they've def. done their job.

Attachments

• IMGP6990.JPG
    IMGP6990.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMGP6985.JPG
    IMGP6985.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP6983.JPG
    IMGP6983.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMGP6980.JPG
    IMGP6980.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Turnip

Some employers try to wind up their former employees when they leave the company.
In this case, the former employer tries the issuance of a job reference, to which there is a legal entitlement, to depend on the prior conclusion of a conduct of business agreement.

Wanna learn another nice german word, my loungers?

S.C.H.I.E.N.E.N.E.R.S.A.T.Z.V.E.R.K.E.H.R !! (Rail Replacement Service)

And that's exactly, how it feels. ;)
Not, that's anything wrong with riding good old omnibus, but the amount of busses, trolley busses and people around the mainstations is causing some chaos, resulting in driving home with mediocre headache.

Cheenan-airsaats-faircare...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider