Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So whats so horrible about the new Stetsons anyway?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I've really liked the pictures of the Heather felt hats the Matt has posted on his facebook page. If Stetson produces them, I'll almost definitely buy one. I've only been casually following this thread, so I might have missed something, but do we have any updates on when the hats that Deckard has been proposing to Stetson might see a store shelf?

Only the Stetsonian and Premier Stratoliner have been definitively confirmed. Jeff @ Delmonico has taken pre-orders for many loungers (including myself) and expects the hats in 4-6 weeks as of about a week and a half ago. So about a month for those two left, give or take.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Just to clarify a misunderstanding but Stetson is definitely not the only game in town.
Here on the Lounge we have at least three(?) hatters who will make exactly the kind of fedora you want. I'm talking color, size, crown height, brim length, ribbon, etc. That is the kind of service many places do not want to offer. This is particularly beneficial if you wear a larger, hard to find size. Our local hatters cut out the "hit or miss" aspect of purchases.

My meaning was that for the most part if you want a Stetson hat, a new one is usually what is readily available. I am aware there are people who will make a custom hat for you if you want to order one.

TOuten2

Familiar Face
I received my Stetson Inwood today. I don't see any specific flaws in the construction, but of course, I don't have the knowledge that many of you have, and likely wouldn't recognize a problem if there is one. I did not experience the powder dye rubbing off, or see anything wrong with the finish. The bottom line is that I like the lid, and feel I got my money's worth. I placed an order with John Penman last month, and look forward to receiving the custom.

Tim

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It's not so much that there are flaws in the construction per se, but the materials used and attention to detail. The tacking stitches on the ribbon for example. When you recieve your hat from John, you will surely notice the difference. Mainly that it's darn near impossible to find John's tacking stitches. That's just one of the details.

I trust that your new Stetson will serve you well, TOuten2. Enjoy it. Wear it until it gets to looking a bit ratty, and then wear it some more. Get your money's worth out of it.

I trust also that once you've gotten a taste for better hats, you'll relegate that new Stetson to bang-around duty. Nothing wrong with that. It is a hat, after all. Sometimes we around here (I include myself) lose sight of that simple reality -- it's just a hat.

In many cases, it's a darned nice hat, but it's still just a hat.

Oh, go Packers! Kickoff in about an hour and 19 minutes.

Lije Baley

New in Town
Back in '88 I bought my first fedora (although it's not like I have a lot of them; my only other fedora was a Canadian-made Biltmore Rosellini in gray [Glacier], until I recently bought a Deluxe Fed IV). This thread piqued my interest in my first fedora. It's a Stetson Temple (mink color), in the Sovereign finish. It lasted through twenty years of daily wear at work in rain and cold, fall through spring. I may rebash it now that I've bashed my Fed IV, but it's maintained its shape fairly well, with occasional steaming of the brim.

After reading this thread, I'm assuming it's a Hatco product, made after Stetson's demise as an independent company. Can others enlighten me as to where a Stetson Temple, circa 1988 falls in the hat hierarchy?

Last edited:

TomS

One Too Many
I like Stetson hats for what they are. I don't think they're as nice as some of the hats being made by the hatters here, but I like them.

Lorne

One of the Regulars
New Stetson

I was in Salmagundi in Boston today and saw a new Stetson Whippet, very nice.

I remember a few years ago looking at a Stetson and thinking it was covered in spackle.

The new hats are a GREAT improvement.

RBH

Bartender
While at the Denver market last week, I picked up Hatco's Spring 2014 catalog.
It had several 'new' hats listed. Here are a couple that caught my eye.
I did not see these in Stetson's booth, but it was primarily a western market.
I also may have miss them...there was a lot of hats and things there to see!

dlob.jpg

9tog.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
After reading this thread, I'm assuming it's a Hatco product, made after Stetson's demise as an independent company. Can others enlighten me as to where a Stetson Temple, circa 1988 falls in the hat hierarchy?
Yes, it was made after the Stetson family closed their hatmaking facilities and sold the name in the early 70s.

As to quality, I think you'll find as you become more familiar with hats from before 1965 or so, that hats made after that are generally of substandard quality compared to hats made in the heyday of the hat maker's art.

I think what people are saying here is that hats (not just Stetsons) made in the old days are just better in every way. Better stitching, better materials (especially the felt), etc., etc.

This isn't to say that new Stetsons will fall apart in a week or are unserviceable. New Stetsons wear just fine and look fine from a distance. They just aren't of the same stripe as the old days, that's all. Vintage hats are just plain better if you get one in good shape.

That all being said, the new Stetson offerings (the Strat, the new Stetsonian, etc.) are a real step up in their game. I praise them heartily.

Anyway, what you are seeing with the complaints is that for the most part, vintage is just better. After all, you have to remember that in many ways the finest materials, best felts, and the like are simply not available like they once were and the costs are much higher for manufacturers now because the volume is much lower.

Duper

Practically Family
While at the Denver market last week, I picked up Hatco's Spring 2014 catalog.
It had several 'new' hats listed. Here are a couple that caught my eye.
I did not see these in Stetson's booth, but it was primarily a western market.
I also may have miss them...there was a lot of hats and things there to see!

dlob.jpg

9tog.jpg

Rollable and thin ribbon. Next we will put a man on the moon again! Very nice.

Dr. Lucky

New in Town
My huge head pretty much keeps me out of vintage hats but these pictures and the Open Crown thread have me getting excited about some of this new Stetson stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou