Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So why is beaver felt so great?

Clint_Southwood

New in Town
Trying to figure things out here. This may sound stupid, but I was thinking that since a beaver lives in a river that maybe its fur is more resilient to water? Also, I was wondering if it is softer and more durable than other furs and wool?

budward

One of the Regulars
I've just wasted 30 minutes using the search function and found nothing responsive, although there are interesting discussions on animal rights, including whether one might be more subject to being attacked by an activist because your hat's beaver. In any event, I would also find it helpful if someone in the know would respond to Clint's question. I don't find starting a new thread to be particularly onerous.

Bud

Harry Lime

Suspended
Short answer for the time impaired.

Beaver fur felts best, as do certain blends with beaver and nutria. As the felt ages, it felts (hairs gripping together and tightening) better and better. It also has a tremendous hand, repels water, holds it's shape, and offers superior comfort.

Harry Lime

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass