Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soaring Ebay Prices!

maisie

Practically Family
Has anyone else notice how much ebay prices have gone up!
I mean a couple of months a go you could get a gorgeous dress for between $25- $50, or eben sometimes lesss! But know all the beautiful one, and evn some not, seem to be going for $100+!!
And don't even mention shoes, WOW! $100-$200 a pair
Is it just a passsing trend or is it here to stay?? I hope not!:rage:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I know what you mean! Ebay has just exploded over the last 6 months. I can't even believe the prices, unless you happen to run across something listed wrong. I'm starting to think it's better to just buy in person now, since at least you'd be able to try on things or take the right measurements~

maisie

Practically Family
I mean prices over here in England have always been more expensive, but now they are vitually the same, if not sometimes cheaper!:eek:
I hope the fashion changes like they all go EMO, MOD or 70's again, but just keep away from the 30's/40's and 50's!:rage:
I still pick up a few bits off ebay, today i got a lovely bakelite set and bathing suit, but will post picks when i ACTUALLY get it (a bit supersitious! lol) But nothing like i normally do!:(
I think i will wait for prices to calm down!:rolleyes:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vintage is really being pushed for the fall now. There are a ton of bad vintage inspired designs flooding the malls. Id give lean to that being the reason a lot of eBay prices are skyrocketing.

LD

maisie

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
What this says to me is: CLOSET CLEAN OUT TIME!! It's a seller's market!

Thats what i have been doing! lol Good for selling ,bad for buying!!
I have been selling some of my too small (wish they fitted me:D ) shoes for around £60 on ebay. But then i can't a pair for me for less than that now, so........:(
I remember when i first started collecting i got my first dress for £15 and my first dress from the US for $9, ahh memories lol! Hopefully when it goes back out again (please......) it will all be sold off cheaply again!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
maisie said:
Thats what i have been doing! lol Good for selling ,bad for buying!!
I have been selling some of my too small (wish they fitted me:D ) shoes for around £60 on ebay. But then i can't a pair for me for less than that now, so........:(
I remember when i first started collecting i got my first dress for £15 and my first dress from the US for $9, ahh memories lol! Hopefully when it goes back out again (please......) it will all be sold off cheaply again!

I sold a pair of vintage pumps on ebay for $200 that I purchased, also on ebay, for $10!

I try to keep my dress collection pared down to only the dresses I actually wear though, so it's hard to part with any of them.

maisie

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I sold a pair of vintage pumps on ebay for $200 that I purchased, also on ebay, for $10!

I try to keep my dress collection pared down to only the dresses I actually wear though, so it's hard to part with any of them.

WOW! Good sale!
I should really have a clear out of my stuff, but i can't handle selling it, seeing someone else wearing it and i know in the end i would just want it back and regret selling it.:( So less hassle just to keep it, just for a little bit longer anyway.....................................

And the way prices are going if i wanted to get something to replace it, it wouldn't be that cheap anyway! I'm so glad i'm not just starting out collecting again, otherwise i might have to rethink after seeing the ebay prices! :fing28:

Miss_Bella_Hell

I know! I haven't spent over $60 for any of the dresses in my collection! Usually I spend around $20! I am allergic to overspending on ebay.

That's such a lie though, because I'll buy a bunch of things at once that will ADD UP to over $100. But it makes me feel better to pretend I'm being frugal!

Miss_Bella_Hell

LolitaHaze said:
Viva Las Vegas is coming up too... so that may be part of why prices have gone up.

Jeez, I feel like it just HAPPENED! Does this mean the only time we can get decent deals for vintage is in April-September and the rest of the year is "pre-Viva"?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I know! I haven't spent over $60 for any of the dresses in my collection! Usually I spend around $20! I am allergic to overspending on ebay.

That's such a lie though, because I'll buy a bunch of things at once that will ADD UP to over $100. But it makes me feel better to pretend I'm being frugal!

Same with me!! If you know what you're looking for you can get it cheap, but it's getting so much harder.

I'm doing closet cleanout too! I listed 4 pairs of shoes today :D

maisie

Practically Family
I feel the only way you can get a bargin now is if its buy it now, has bad pictures or has been listen wrong, you can forget getting a nice dress if it isn't in the above catigories!

Miss_Bella_Hell

I know, I'm currently after a NOS dress that is listed as if it were plus size, but really the seller incorrectly thinks that the vintage size is the same as today's sizes...

So I might get a bargain.

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Alot of ebay sellers take advantage of the buyers and they are ryng to raise prices on vintage stuff especially things like vintage lipsticks and compacts little things like that! I have never had good luck buying clothing or shoes so i never order things like that ever! I really like to buy things from buy it now because i don't have to deal with trying to beat some one else it's such a game!!! I have even won simple things like lipsticks and had other buyers email me nasty things cause they didn't win so i have had strange things like that happen!!!I had to give ebay a rest!!!!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
dollfaced said:
Alot of ebay sellers take advantage of the buyers and they are ryng to raise prices on vintage stuff especially things like vintage lipsticks and compacts little things like that! I have never had good luck buying clothing or shoes so i never order things like that ever! I really like to buy things from buy it now because i don't have to deal with trying to beat some one else it's such a game!!! I have even won simple things like lipsticks and had other buyers email me nasty things cause they didn't win so i have had strange things like that happen!!!I had to give ebay a rest!!!!

:eek: That's unbelievable! They emailed you with nasty comments! surely that is not allowed!

I agree it's a real game now and I can't be bothered to waste my time with auctions these days I just look for "buy it now".

The other phenomena I have noticed is that I see (say a compact for example) at $2.00 starting price and I think I'll just watch the item but I forget to bid on it, and when I check on my account the listing has ended and the item went unsold.

SO....I wait untill the item is relisted and put a reasonable but small bid on thinking (quite naturally) that no-one was interested in the listing the first time round. It is then that something remarkable happens! Usually it happens with just one other bidder and they have to outbid you even if it is early on (which is so stupid as it just means that whoever wins will end up paying more) then other bidders will sometimes join in and the frenzy of often insane bidding will commence.

I have thought in the past that this is purely coincidental so I put my theory to the test and chose a seller who had a number very similar (practically identical) items. Of these 6 items I placed a bid on a random 3. Day one was unremarkable obviously my bids had drawn no attention.

Day two however was the evidence that I had been after.... of the 6 items bids had been placed against me on all 3 items I had selected and not on any of the others.

By the time the auctions has finished the items that I had "flagged" if you like, finished at around 3 times the price of the others!

This type of competetive and silly behaviour is becoming more and more rife.
The way I look at it now is good luck to them if that's what these people want to effectively waste their money on then I'm not going to stand in their way.....

dollfaced

Familiar Face
I know just what your talking about it is all a crazy maddness!!! Well i was even called once a lipstick hussy for winning a bid on vintage lipsticks! What a person can do is go to the ask a question section and type to that person what ever they want! I don't know why but i feel like the sellers have other accounts and pose as buyers to out bid you and get you to bid higher for there own profit this is my srong feeling i have!!!!

GOK

One Too Many
I've had the nasty emails from losing bidders too and frankly, even though I don't know these people, it is still upsetting.

On the flip side though, I've had emails from people asking if we might pool resources. I'm now in a network of three people; we all go for the same stuff and if we don't win, we know that pretty soon a copy of a pattern or scans of booklets will be on their way to us! It works really well and is a lovely way to make new friends.

I had a major bargain today though. Actually I bought it a week ago but it arrived this morning;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=82591&item=150047154763

The pins are in perfect condition! I'll see if I can post a better pic a bit later (or tomorrow).

I've recently got some great vintage patterns and a few bullet bras. It's pointless me going for shoes or other clothing because being so tall means nothing fits me. Good job I can sew eh? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW