Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer/Footy fans?

RedPop4

One Too Many
Since we have such a diverse population here, including many from outside the shores of the United States, I thought I'd ask. It may be a stereotypical thing, and for that I apologize, to ask folks which club they support. However, I enjoy the sport immensely so I like to ask.

So, those of you who enjoy the sport, which club do you support.

I have no ties, really, to any clubs so I can't say that I'm a die-hard supporter. I do follow clubs that have Yanks playing for them, so this past year, I sort-of supported Blackburn Rovers (Brad Friedel), Fulham (Brian McBride, Carlos Bocanegra, Simon Elliot) Reading (Marcus Hahnemann, Bobby Convey) PSV Eindhoven (DeMarcus Beasley) Borussia Moenchengladbach (Kasey Keller) among other clubs. Some of these will change as these players move around.

I do support Celtic pretty regularly, and of course the U.S. MNT.

Anyone else?

RedPop4

One Too Many
ONE of the groups of death....although I can see the U.S. getting out of this group IF they play good football. McBride had a strong start to the season, but his form has been off for a couple months, now.

I like West Ham, there's something about that club, I don't know what it is, but I like them. They had a very good young (not counting Teddy Sheringham) team this year. They're one or two players away from having a top-flight team. Of course all the big clubs usually raid West Ham treating it as their developmental squad. Dean Ashton was a real find, and how long can they hang onto Anton Ferdinand?

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Not at all savvy, but since our Samurai Blue boys are going to the world cup as well:eusa_clap , kinda have one ear tuned to the goings on.
The first game is against the Aussies, I thought. Don't know enough to say more than that. I'll have to talk to my daughters to bring me up to speed.lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
_huge_ fan of WC level footie here.... although I am always torn between the US and Brazil....having lived in Brazil during the 90 world cup and how mad it is there.....

League footie is harder to follow while in the states unless you frequent pubs or have many cable tv channels...so have lost track of it...

I did live in the crazy town of Ipswich for a year....man...the whole town goes mad....

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
In America, no, but I was pretty into it when I was living in Russia last year. We were all pretty disappointed when Russia didn't qualify for The World Cup.

If I recall Locomotiv won some kind of Europe tourney while I was there and didn't so bad in another.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I have Fox Soccer Channel, so I keep up, but I've always tried to do so. I used to go to a local newstand, next to the Morning Call which carried British footy magazines, and Italian, as well.

I also listen to the one of the only daily radio shows in the U.S. World Soccer Daily (www.worldsoccerweekly.com) it's available on Sirius, as welll. They focus mostly on the Premiership, but cover other leagues as well, and of course, they're focusing on Germany 2006 now that the season is over.

IF the United States make it out of group play, they'll most likely get Brazil in the second round. As Baron said, U.S. has a hell of a group. Italy, right now, is the variable as there's a humongous match-fixing scandal going on in Italy right now. The main focus is on Juventus who will most likely be relegated to Serie B. Their whole board and the chairman resigned, but they've also implicated AC Milan, Lazio and Fiorentina. How the Italian players respond is important. If they're angry looking to prove a point, the U.S. likely doesn't make it out of group play.

Although Czech Republic have some losses due to injury, they'll be very tough.

If the U. S. loses, I'll support Italy, Brazil and maybe England.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Rugby team won the Premiership last year

The mighty Tigers! They're called the Western Suburbs Tigers after the merger with Wests years ago, but they'll always be Balmain to me.

I'm pretty excited that the Socceroos qualified for the World Cup. LaMedicine, you are correct in saying Japan will play Australia in their first match on June 12. I really hope the 'Roos go well, it's got a lot of people excited here. In the spirit of sportsmanship, LaMedicine, I wish Japan the best of luck! May the best team win - either way it will be great fun to follow!

What is the logo about?

logo.gif

I must say i'm a sucker for Pique. Mexico '86 is the first world cup i am aware of watching. And the adidas azteca ball! I always wanted one of those.

1986_mascot.jpg

bk

RedPop4

One Too Many
That was a great ball.
I became aware of the World Cup in 1982, remember watching the final on NBC and hearing all about Paolo Rossi. I remembered Harald "Toni" Schumacher, Beckenbauer (retired by then) and Karl-Heinz Rumminegge from an old PBS show called Soccer Made in Germany in the 1970s.

Watched much of Mexico 1986 as I was in college pursuing a degree in Spanish,no less, so it was a natural. By the end of 1986, I was hooked forever.
I'd been to Italy in 1984 and we climbed the fence into Lo Stadio Marcantonio Bentegodi in Verona to catch the last match of the year, fantastic experience.

In 1988 I spent a summer in Mexico City and got to go to a match at the Azteca. There were only 50,000 people that day, and it looked like less, but still great atmosphere.

KAT

A-List Customer
the logo is about the "faces of soccer" ..whatever that means and its the `06 .the world cup in that picture is from an old logo i believe.
Well well theres a game on the 20th (german team) and i cant watch it, cause im leaving home again:( bad timing....
But Im excited for the games..BBQ and watch it in the backyard with friends and lots of fun..just not about all the soccer fans and traffic on the streets..:eusa_doh:
I know we are going to lose ..[huh] our team just sucks:rolleyes:

KAT

A-List Customer
SCHWAAAAAAAAAAAAARZ ROOOOOOT WEISSSSSSSSSSSSs
...WERDEN WIR WELTMEISTER SEIN
54, 74,90, 2006!!!!!!!!!
WE WON TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Ecuador beat Poland, which must please Panama Bob. England plays Paraguay tomorrow. This time out I'm supporting England. I'm not English and I don't live in England anymore but they may just have the best chance of beating Brazil. To me, the World Cup is all about beating Brazil. Brazil is the giant:rage: , the juggernaut:rage: , the one to beat. I live in a Portuguese/Brazilian neighbourhood and I love these guys, but I love them most when they are not crowing in my face and waving flags and honking their horns; a little football humilty suits them lol . So yay for whoever can beat Brazil. :D

And that logo really stinks. I haven't heard the song yet. Is it better than the logo. (Who am I kidding. Like I care.)

PS: RedPop4, I haven't found anyplace on the internet to watch for free, though I have found paysites. Our Omni Stations, the multicultural broadcasters, are showing most of the games here and I can get them even wiothout cable. So I'm set.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
jake_fink said:
Ecuador beat Poland, which must please Panama Bob. England plays Paraguay tomorrow. This time out I'm supporting England. I'm not English and I don't live in England anymore but they may just have the best chance of beating Brazil. To me, the World Cup is all about beating Brazil. Brazil is the giant:rage: , the juggernaut:rage: , the one to beat. I live in a Portuguese/Brazilian neighbourhood and I love these guys, but I love them most when they are not crowing in my face and waving flags and honking their horns; a little football humilty suits them lol . So yay for whoever can beat Brazil. :D
Then you MUST root for the Socceroos and Samurai Blues, we're both up against Brazil in the same group! lol

I predict ...

... an early exit (maybe 2nd round) for both Germany and England. Having watched the Germany game yesterday and the England game today: When these teams meet difficult opposition they will find it hard to win if they play like they did in these two games. The German defending was truly horrible. (Is this the first time Costa Rica has scored two goals? Seems like it.) And the ineffectual England attack will not serve them well. Both teams need to pick up their game if they want to live up to their much-lauded pre-tournament self obsessed hype.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland