Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**SOLD** 5.5" x 2 3/8" Vintage Silhouettes Oxblood beaver felt hat Sz. 7 1/4 (57.5cm)

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Up for sale is this lovely VS hat in Art Fawcett's special dye oxblood. I could do with a little more balance between hats and vintage clothes in my wardrobe, else I wouldn't be offering it.

Description of the felt color:
A reddish-brown with an ever so slight purple undertone under certain light; I've noticed this subtle undertone only in photos taken from a few feet away, under overcast winter daylight. Under normal conditions, it looks just reddish-brown.
The VS Oxblood dye preceded the VS Black Cherry dye (which in turn was updated to a darker dye when the Black Cherry lightweight felt came out). The Oxblood is available only in the dressweight felt. VS Oxblood and VS Black Cherry (whether old or new dye) are two quite different colors.

Specs:
- 5 1/2" open crown, 52-ish type block (rather straight sides and a crown roof with only minor roundness in the shoulders)
- currently in a diamond crease
- 100% beaver felt, dress weight ($385.- new); it still has that wonderful smell of beaver felt
- 22 ligne (just short of 2") wide hatband in dark brown with Art's signature VS stripe in red
- underwelt edge
- 2 3/8" brim width
- very low brim flange (not flat, but close to it), a typical pre-war style that later fell out of fashion. You'll hardly ever see a late 40s/ early 50s hat with such a sharp flange.
- white liner

The liner has the usual stitching which could, if desired, be easily removed in order to wear the hat unlined. To put it back, just tuck the liner behind the sweatband - it will hold by itself.

The hat is in excellent condition all around, including the sweatband. The underwelt brim makes this one an ideal hat for the rain - the welt will keep the brim in shape while the absence of a bound edge prevents any danger of water marks forming on the edge. Rain and snow won't change the beaver felt in any way either.

It was made to fit my head circumference of 57.5cm (US size 7 1/4).

$235.- shipped worldwide (from Germany)

No price drops on this one. If it doesn't sell for this price I'll happily keep it.

In the photos below, it's the hat on the left, with a lightweight black cherry VS next to it.
Shot in overcast daylight, these photos have the best color rendition (together with the attire photo further below) although the hat still appears a little darker in person. For color reference, the hatband on the Black Cherry is actually black.

TodgIEf.jpg

XZA0RHO.jpg

This photo was taken from about 12 feet away in overcast light in the winter. As a result, the color of the hatband and the felt seem to match more closely than they really do. The contrast between the brown ribbon and reddish-brown felt is perfect and results in a more subtle overall appearance of the hat.
For reference, the color of the knit tie is rust.

SGWeNJ1.jpg

Some indoor shots with reasonable color accuracy:

1bluEwt.jpg

27kcx35.jpg

D751vgP.jpg

Jpn64d3.jpg

This collage is not quite color accurate (a little too reddish) and merely intended to show the profile of crown and brim flange:

TguFsfu.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner