Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*SOLD* GORGEOUS! c. 40, 42 Vintage Brooks Brothers "Varsity Jacket" in Lamb Suede

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
Aero Leather of Scotland have recently re-created the classic mid-century suede Varsity Jacket, as worn by Steve McQueen and Paul Newman in *Somebody Up There Likes Me*, and a classic item of clothing on Ivy League campuses throughout the 1950s and 1960s. The link to Aero's version is here:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2593

The ORIGINAL that I am offering is here--more pictures below!

The Varsity Jacket is the classic two-pocket easy-wear jacket with knit collar and cuffs that's similar to the iconic Harrington jacket. This particular example is an ORIGINAL mid-century jacket that's still beautifully pliable and wearable without any need for babying. It was made for Brooks Brothers, and has the classic mid-century "straight" silhouette.

Aero's version of this jacket is cut from goat suede, while this is cut from the softer but equally durable lamb suede. (Both are far superior to Split Suede or Nubuck, which are inferior suede-effect leathers produced from cowhide.) There is no fabric content on the collar, knit strip at the back, or cuffs, but I would be shocked if they were anything other than wool knits. They are all original to the piece. The zipper is a mid-century Talon zipper--precisely the sort that Aero took pains to source for its reproduction of this type of jacket. It moves beautifully fluidly. The leather pull is also original to the jacket, as best I can tell. The lining is pale peach, which is a perfect colouring for this jacket. There is a single interior pocket, and the original interior locker loop is intact, and undamaged. It carries a vintage Brooks Brothers label, with block gold lettering on a white background. It has raglan sleeves.

This jacket was Union Made in the USA. Since the Union label is sewn in covering the lettering it's impossible to date this jacket accurately, but it was certainly built between 1949 and 1976. My guess is that since it's a Union Series GF garment it dates to the late 1950s to early 1960s.

This jacket is in overall Very Good condition--really, excellent condition for its age. The lining is in perfect condition, with no stains or blemishes of any kind. The jacket shells has the usual scuffs and minor markings that come with age and use--it's broken in rather than damaged! There is an oval stain ring under the left armpit, but this is very hard to see--I only discovered it while measuring the jacket and paying attention. Given the condition of the lining (excellent!) this is NOT a sweat stain, since then the lining would be damaged. My best guess is that something was held tightly under the arm at some point--possibly a damp umbrella or rolled-up towel after swimming in late summer. The knit collar and cuffs are still tight, but have pilling throughout, as shown. The back knit strip also has pilling throughout.

This is a beautifully wearable jacket that you won't have to worry about babying--it's good for at least another four decades or so!

This is a great opportunity to acquire an original, wearable version of a jacket that's so iconic Aero have decided to reproduce it, at a fraction of the cost of a reproduction!

Asking just $85, or offer, boxed and shipped in the USA. International inquiries are welcome with Priority shipping at cost.

Tagged a 42, this measures:

Chest: 22
Sleeve, measured like a shirt: c. 35 3/4 to end of knit cufff.
Length, measured from the BOTTOM of the knit collar down to the hem at the back: 25 1/2

Patina:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR