Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SOME NEW HATS

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was also able to secure this one as well.
197A.jpg

DOUGLAS

I have to agree bolthead. I have a few Dobbs but they are not my favorite at all,except for the Cross Country, this one however looks really nice and I like that the logo is color coordinated with the sweat. I am hoping it is as soft as it looks. I will keep my fingers crossed.

DOUGLAS

Essman Panama

This came in yesterday. To be honest I am suprized at how supple it is. I beleived that it would be stiff from the water treatment but it is not. aside from a bit of brim and ribbon staining it is in perfect condition and fits rather well.
DSCN5639.jpg

DSCN5638.jpg

DSCN5640.jpg

DSCN5641.jpg

DSCN5636.jpg

DSCN5635.jpg

I don't even mind the staining that much as it adds a bit of lived in appeal. Between Marcs Montecristi, this Essman and a few standard straws I am very pleased. Well maybe if I found a good quality fedora styled panama.....

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Very NICE, Douglas......I think you have just about THE BEST hat collection of anyone!!!

Congrats on another GEM!! :eusa_clap

DOUGLAS

Thanks BJB, lots of folks here have great hats. The lounge is one of the few sites that gives one a vast collection of hats from every period to look at and study. We all do our part.
Dinerman had a hat exactly the same as this one,may even be the same hat. I am just happy I was able to get one.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Love it, Douglas!

Speaking of optimos, may I share one with you? ... I'm waiting for Art to block for me (as an optimo) an unused panama body from the 1920s or '30s. Found it on eBay, rolled up in its original tube container. Looks to be a very fine one indeed, if one can judge by the WPI and the vueltas. Nice golden color :) Here are some photos from the auction itself:

ed4c_1.jpg
ed8a_1.jpg

ecee_1.jpg
ec9d_1.jpg

ed1f_1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Yep, douglas, it's the very same hat. It had shrunk down to a size 7 when I had it, and I didn't want to risk stretching. I guess that the person you bought it from took that chance, with great results.

Looks good on you.

DOUGLAS

Dman, it fits really well. If this is the same hat, they did a great job stretching it. I don't see any evidence of it being man handled. I am quite happy with it but I guess I won't risk wearing it in the rain.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
From the sheen on it I bet it has gotten a good shellacing. I am counting on it being waterproof.There is no way I will wear the Montecristi in the rain.

I did and mine has a brim like the ocean!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

An update: I'm very excited to report that this antique panama body probably has 1,800-2,000 WPI (weaves per inch).

This is an extraordinarily high number ... far more than I could ever afford in a new panama. :eek:

Can't wait to get it back from Art!

I thought as much and I was gonna bid on it myself and then .....even the story behind it was cool...like the Naked City there are a thousand stories on eBay but this was not one of them!lol

ideaguy

One Too Many
Douglas- Great hat, great look-as usual. Does it ever slow down??

Marc: terrific hat!! love the concept and the fact that it works is
dandy. Yeah, Borsas roll up too, but the fine straw? too much.
by the way, very good photos of the unrolling process. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart