Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some perspective on leather jacket pricing?

ShaneB

New in Town
It might have been touched on but if not, it must also be noted that many people "out there" couldn't give a rat's arse about clothing and see the stuff in the spirit of function over form. They'd probably laugh their heads off if they knew what many around here spend and obsess about in terms of jackets, boots, jeans, etc. But I'd wager that many of those people would spend an exorbitant amount (proportionally of their income) on something in their lives be it sporting/leisure related, automotive, etc, etc. It's human nature to have an interest and a passion for something(s) and here, for many, it's vintage or vintage-inspired clothing. Just don't expect the vast majority of the public to be concerned about such things as well.

To use leather jackets as an example, most out there would be very happy with one bought from a mall, and would probably think that us here with all our handwringing about hide choice, linings, 1/2 an inch here, 1/2 an inch there, would think us a bunch of anally retentive muppets with too little to worry about ;)

Different strokes for different folks, simple as that.

That's not really true in the UK to be honest - the lads in the UK, and the girls, have a keen eye for clothing and fashion. I'd actually be so bold as to say that apart from Japan, I think the UK has the best high street fashion, and fashion outlets, of any place in the developed world.

There's so many options for high street fashion that even the smallest town will have a raft of different shops, from Topman / River Island / Bank / Scotts for the men, and even more for women (which I don't keep track of, what with me being male).

Insofar as leather jackets are concerned, you can pick up a leather or suede jacket - bomber jackets / trucker jackets, for about £100 - £150, from the likes of Asos / Zara / Topman or H&M - these for example:

asos-brown-suede-bomber-jacket-casual-jackets-product-1-20649659-3-114254157-normal_large_flex.jpeg

image1xl.jpg

topman-brown-tan-suede-bomber-jacket-product-1-17663139-0-751578131-normal_large_flex.jpeg

hmprod

They're not top notch leathers (pig skin, I'd imagine), but the quality is pretty good for the price and for £100 you can't complain. Lots of leathers available as well - I've actually noticed a bit of a trend in UK high street stores as well when they've started dipping into better quality materials because there's bit a palpable shift in demand (so they're using wool to make jumpers instead if acrylic / make leather / suede jackets out of real hides and none of that PVC rubbish.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the UK has the best high street fashion, and fashion outlets, of any place in the developed world.

I've lived in a few european countries as well as London and they all think the same thing lol.

Most NYers would probably claim it and a good friend of mine swears Koreans from Seoul say the same about themselves....the growing focus on fashion is a global trend.

Even some people in Sydney are starting to dress better these days....we just can't usually get the decent stuff here and have to order from overseas.

zhz

Practically Family
I am not sure about other brands, but the leather jacket from Topman is not good at all IMO, or not worth the price, it is a very thin leather(not sure it is pig or sheep), it is something I would never consider for £160.

I actually think Allsaints make some good leather jackets, but still, their jackets are over priced as well.

I believe the point of this thread is not to measure the quality of the mall jackets, but to say they are over priced.

That's not really true in the UK to be honest - the lads in the UK, and the girls, have a keen eye for clothing and fashion. I'd actually be so bold as to say that apart from Japan, I think the UK has the best high street fashion, and fashion outlets, of any place in the developed world.

There's so many options for high street fashion that even the smallest town will have a raft of different shops, from Topman / River Island / Bank / Scotts for the men, and even more for women (which I don't keep track of, what with me being male).

Insofar as leather jackets are concerned, you can pick up a leather or suede jacket - bomber jackets / trucker jackets, for about £100 - £150, from the likes of Asos / Zara / Topman or H&M - these for example:

asos-brown-suede-bomber-jacket-casual-jackets-product-1-20649659-3-114254157-normal_large_flex.jpeg

image1xl.jpg

topman-brown-tan-suede-bomber-jacket-product-1-17663139-0-751578131-normal_large_flex.jpeg

hmprod

They're not top notch leathers (pig skin, I'd imagine), but the quality is pretty good for the price and for £100 you can't complain. Lots of leathers available as well - I've actually noticed a bit of a trend in UK high street stores as well when they've started dipping into better quality materials because there's bit a palpable shift in demand (so they're using wool to make jumpers instead if acrylic / make leather / suede jackets out of real hides and none of that PVC rubbish.

zhz

Practically Family
The only mall leather jacket I own is from a brand called popissue, I believe it is based in Sydney. The quality of the jacket is not compared to what we discussed here, but I think it is higher than many high st brands.

I've lived in a few european countries as well as London and they all think the same thing lol.

Most NYers would probably claim it and a good friend of mine swears Koreans from Seoul say the same about themselves....the growing focus on fashion is a global trend.

Even some people in Sydney are starting to dress better these days....we just can't usually get the decent stuff here and have to order from overseas.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Certain subcultures here in Melbourne think they have the best of everything, food, clothes, taste. I don't see it. Many cities think they have the best of the best.

ShaneB

New in Town
I don't think you can really say £100-£150 for a suede jacket is overpriced to be honest. It's as cheap as it's going to get for the materials used. All Saints are fairly expensive - if you're talking about the most accessible, mass produced leather jackets available, then Britain has lots in the 100-150 gbp range, which is as good as you're going to get anywhere in the developed world to be honest.

And Sub Lucas - I suppose the point I'm making is not necessarily the perception people have in believing their high street clobber is the best / greatest (because frankly I don't think anyone really cares!), but rather that the UK has unparalleled retail options for high street fashion, and it's true - no other country in the developed world (barring Japan) has as many options as Britain does.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I don't think you can really say £100-£150 for a suede jacket is overpriced to be honest. It's as cheap as it's going to get for the materials used. All Saints are fairly expensive - if you're talking about the most accessible, mass produced leather jackets available, then Britain has lots in the 100-150 gbp range, which is as good as you're going to get anywhere in the developed world to be honest.

And Sub Lucas - I suppose the point I'm making is not necessarily the perception people have in believing their high street clobber is the best / greatest (because frankly I don't think anyone really cares!), but rather that the UK has unparalleled retail options for high street fashion, and it's true - no other country in the developed world (barring Japan) has as many options as Britain does.

London's got more options than Japan.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
London's got more options than Japan.

I agree. As for fashionable or fashion concious people, Central London is probably one of the most densely populated city. You certainly cannot find so many 'dressed up' people around in Tokyo, Hong Kong, NY, Seoul or Sydney. The explanation? There is a concentration of young people there. Imagine there are at least a couple of big universities with thousands of young people around. There is also plenty of 'cheap' fashion chains offering the trendy clothings at 'disposable' prices, something like Primark. Then you have the highest concentration of designer chains around for the wealthy people. On top of that, the history of all the fashion sub-cultures, Mods, Punks, vintage, Savile row etc., you just have endless choices.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

That does interest me. I rarely go shopping but I would be fascinated to understand more about the diversity of items in London shops. What on earth can they be selling? Justhandguns - young people spending money on good clothing? Not something I recall seeing in my time.

Last edited:

ShaneB

New in Town
That does interest me. I rarely go shopping and haven't bought from a shop in years (apart from smalls at Target) but I would be fascinated to understand more about the diversity of items in London shops. What on earth can they be selling?

It's because it's a focal point or hodgepodge of all outlets across the USA & Europe - so it's a mix of British high street brands, like Topman / River Island / Burton / Next / Asos / Jigsaw / Reiss / All Saints interspersed with European brands, like Mango / H&M + you've got American brands, like GAP / Zara (that's just the men - there's far more choice for women). Uniqlo have started to make inroads now as well. That's high street brands, not designer brands, for which there's equally a lot of: Fred Perry / Baracuta / Barbour / Lavenham / Clarks. You can find anything and everything from the smallest town to the largest city.

Topman is your bog standard outlet and they're selling suede jackets for £150, which isn't bad whatever spin you put on it. I'm not saying the stuff is amazing quality because you get what you pay for, but if you're talking about general high street fashion, for decent enough quality and decent price, then Britain surely ranks among the top.

Edward

Bartender
That does interest me. I rarely go shopping but I would be fascinated to understand more about the diversity of items in London shops. What on earth can they be selling? Justhandguns - young people spending money on good clothing? Not something I recall seeing in my time.

If you want to see Sville Row, go *now*: the relevant local authority only listens to money, not heritage, and Abercrombie & Fitch have been permitted to open one of their overpriced children's clothing stores there. The rot begins; it's only a matter of time before a formerly interesting and unique part of London is the same, bland chainsotre rubbish to be found anywhere else. Camden Market and Kensington Market all over again, but on a much higher level.

Justhandguns

Practically Family

Seb, I did not mean young people spending money on good clothings, I just meant that majority of people in London are more fashion concious, and most of them are younger people. But then, saying that, younger generations do spend more money on clothings these days, especially if they have parents like us....!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
If you want to see Sville Row, go *now*: the relevant local authority only listens to money, not heritage, and Abercrombie & Fitch have been permitted to open one of their overpriced children's clothing stores there. The rot begins; it's only a matter of time before a formerly interesting and unique part of London is the same, bland chainsotre rubbish to be found anywhere else. Camden Market and Kensington Market all over again, but on a much higher level.

A&F on the Row? That's the end of the brand image right there (I'm talking about the Savile Row 'brand' image).

Justhandguns

Practically Family

Edward, yes, it's really a pity. Honestly, I just do not understand why A&F can be so big in London right now (and in Asia). They were a complete failure in North America!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
A&F on the Row? That's the end of the brand image right there (I'm talking about the Savile Row 'brand' image).

Yes, actually, there is one rather hidden but big A&F at the end of the road there. In the beginning, there was usually a small queue to get in.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Seb, I did not mean young people spending money on good clothings, I just meant that majority of people in London are more fashion concious, and most of them are younger people. But then, saying that, younger generations do spend more money on clothings these days, especially if they have parents like us....!

Yeah, I have to say that if you ignore the wider high street trends (it's still hipsters, right?), then London has got an extremely wide set of fashion subcultures, that are all extremely well catered for in terms of fashion retailers, that are constantly evolving. Compared to Tokyo, it's in a league of it's own. Japanese trends follow western high street fashion, and subcultures are fixed in stone, and show no evolution or development.
You see a lot of expensive brands in Japan, but no style. People dress so badly (my pet hate is suits with pattered shirts and clashing neck-ties) that it's hard to believe they spend so much money on themselves (at this point, I'd refer loungers to the thread about the blue leather jacket :eusa_doh:).

ShaneB

New in Town

I don't think it is - their application was rejected by Westminster Council by all account, I believe. They wanted to modify a listed building! Idiots!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The A&F shop sits terribly with the rest of the street, it's horrible, gaudy window ads are completely at odds with the low-key ethos of the other shops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany