Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero? Simmons Bilt? Looking for my "Forever Leather Jacket"

TartuWolf

Practically Family
The jacket is over 10 years old and it has been through extremely varied weather types, scrapes, broken glass, used as a pillow, worn in rain for hours on end, etc
Nice, this gives me hope that my incoming Aero will serve me well from the zipper perspective. I went with Universal as well.

zebedee

One Too Many
Nice, this gives me hope that my incoming Aero will serve me well from the zipper perspective. I went with Universal as well.
Yes, it'll be fine. The Universal zips correct the mechanical failures found in a (on balance seemingly small) number of Talon zips without compromising on period accuracy in terms of size (I think). I've owned quite a few Aeros and never had any issues with the product or the company. I'd like it if they'd go back to pre-sale prices, but, etc., etc.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I'd like it if they'd go back to pre-sale prices, but, etc., etc.
Yup, last month was the best chance ever to get an Aero. I almost feel sorry that I didn't go nuts and order a Moonshiner together with the Hooch Hauler that I ordered. The rest of my life I will live wondering how the moonshiner would have turned out haha.

zebedee

One Too Many
Yup, last month was the best chance ever to get an Aero. I almost feel sorry that I didn't go nuts and order a Moonshiner together with the Hooch Hauler that I ordered. The rest of my life I will live wondering how the moonshiner would have turned out haha.
Go nuts next time :) Moonshiners are a good pattern; the Maxwell is also a great design.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I'd go Moonshiner over Maxwell because it has higher armholes, bi-swing back and trimmer body. But it seems like there will not be a next time to go nuts. Would need to wait for some 20% sale again for it to be worth it after the prices got jacket up.

Albe64

One of the Regulars
Yes, sent it back to Aero. Hardware replacements/changes do entail a cost, but I'd rather they do it (using the original holes and undetectable) than risk a botched job elsewhere. In the grand scheme of things, I'm ok with paying for a new zip. The jacket is over 10 years old and it has been through extremely varied weather types, scrapes, broken glass, used as a pillow, worn in rain for hours on end, etc. The leather never let me down; I don't expect zips to last 10 years, let alone more.
I agree 100%...that is exactly what I am planning to do with my Aeros when "replacing zip time" will come!

Chilliwack

New in Town
I saw this really cool photo of the Aero Premier 30s Highwayman on their facebook. I think this might be the one. I'll keep looking though. Torn between a cross-zip (Likely a Hooch Hauler in black) and this.
aero highwayman.jpg
aero highwayman2.jpg

The Premier Highwayman is a beautiful jacket- one of Aero's best IMO. The collar does tend to hang on the neck if your shoulder slope doesn't fit the pattern. I'd ask about a little front drop. Mine had zip sleeves and d-rings at the waist. I also had a slanted chest pocket- which I thought looked cool.

Chilliwack

New in Town
The Premier Highwayman is a beautiful jacket- one of Aero's best IMO. The collar does tend to hang on the neck if your shoulder slope doesn't fit the pattern. I'd ask about a little front drop. Mine had zip sleeves and d-rings at the waist. I also had a slanted chest pocket- which I thought looked cool.
Yeah I saw a thread about those "shoulder creases" on here. Though I think my shoulders are somewhat broad, so I don't think that will be much of an issue. I'll be sure to get myself professionally measured at a local high-end tailor before I buy anything. It'll be a while though. Still got at least 20 more pounds to lose.

Also question, what do you mean by "a front drop?" What does that mean?

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Chilliwack
Front drop is how much longer the front of the jacket is than the back when laid flat. For example Hooch Hauler has no front drop and Aero refuse to add it. It's nice to have a rather short back (above back pockets) and a slightly longer front to cover up the belt while still keeping the front pockets accessible. At least that is my ideal.

Go for some half-belt (ex Hooch Hauler) if your waist < hips.
Go for bottom hem cinch pattern (like Highwayman) if your waist > hips.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Albe64

One of the Regulars
@Chilliwack
Front drop is how much longer the front of the jacket is than the back when laid flat. For example Hooch Hauler has no front drop and Aero refuse to add it. It's nice to have a rather short back (above back pockets) and a slightly longer front to cover up the belt while still keeping the front pockets accessible. At least that is my ideal.

Go for some half-belt (ex Hooch Hauler) if your waist < hips.
Go for bottom hem cinch pattern (like Highwayman) if your waist > hips.
Aero's lack of front drop is a huge issue here in FDL...I have to agree with Aero as they have chosen a certain aestethic philosophy and they stick with it, it's something quite peculiar and it suits perfectly my body. Once again, it's all a matter of personal taste

Chilliwack

New in Town
I saw this really cool photo of the Aero Premier 30s Highwayman on their facebook. I think this might be the one. I'll keep looking though. Torn between a cross-zip (Likely a Hooch Hauler in black) and this. View attachment 530983 View attachment 530984
Actually long as I'm here, anyone know what particular kind of leather this is in the photo? It looks really good. I was considering tumbled black CXFQHH, but from what I've seen on threads, it often looks more "wrinkled" than "broken in."

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Actually long as I'm here, anyone know what particular kind of leather this is in the photo? It looks really good. I was considering tumbled black CXFQHH, but from what I've seen on threads, it often looks more "wrinkled" than "broken in."

My guess would be black Badalassi. @Hide'n'seek will know, if you would care to send them a DM.

Chilliwack

New in Town
I sent the photos straight to Aero, they said it's most likely brand new CXL Steerhide, and that the CXFQHH would achieve a similar look, but with less weight/stiffness.

hjv2

Familiar Face
It's Black CXL Steerhide. Great leather if you're a heavy jacket guy.

Chilliwack

New in Town
It's Black CXL Steerhide. Great leather if you're a heavy jacket guy.

Well, maybe not THAT heavy. When I was a kid I had a rather heavy leather jacket, they can be exhausting to wear.

I'm ordering some leather samples.

I do quite like the relative lightness and softness of Badalassi leather. Also has some shine to it, which I like. I'm more scared of attempting to make a dull jacket glossy than I am to let a glossy jacket dull over time. But from one person's video review I saw, man does it SQUEAK.

I have a sample square of it in Russet, but I'd need to see what it looks like in chestnut and black first. I don't ride, so it doesn't need to double as armor. Also checking out goatskin and a few others.

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Aero usually have a lighter batch of CXL horsehide available on request, IMO it is the best of both worlds- all the qualities of CXL & much easier to wear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner