Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some questions about vintage clothing for everyone.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Just wondering do most of you ladies wear vintage everyday, or just on speciel occasions?

What era do you feel most attached to, or do you play around with all sorts of eras?

Does the vintage look extend into your home (ie) antique furniture, retro applicances?

Do you mix and match vintage pieces with modern pieces or wear head to toe vintage?

What is your "dream vintage item"?

I'll Ansewer my own queations

Just wondering do most of you ladies wear vintage everyday, or just on speciel occasions?

I wear vintage on an everyday basis, of coarse I have modern clothing, so I wear that sometimes as well. I also wear vintage on speciel occasions.

What era do you feel most attached to, or do you play around with all sorts of eras?

I am most attached to the 1930's, and then maybe the 1920's. I love the streamlined look of everything in the 1930's ( including the wonderful bias cut, great for thin petite girls with a hourglass figure) that the 1920's 1940's or 1950's didn't have as much. I also like the simple elegance of the clothing in the 1930's, I wear a lot of the day dresses, and love the gorgeous bias cut evening gowns they had back then. I do have more 1920's garments, because that is what I started off collecting.

Does the vintage look extend into your home (ie) antique furniture, retro applicances?

I went a little nuts in this department. I work as a researcher and consultant for Antique dealers so it's hard to escape looking at great antiques. I am fortunate to have an apartment in a craftsman style house, so my applicances, cabinetry and windows is all from the 1940's and earlier. I have almost all deco furniture from the 1930's, all my dishes, alot of my kitchen linnens, pots and pans, small applicances, etc etc are from the 1930's. Lots of depression glass, chrome and deco.

Do you mix and match vintage pieces with modern pieces or wear head to toe vintage?

When I first started out I did more, now I really like to keep it all in one era.

http://www.antiquedress.com/images/1125/thirtywhitsatingowntrainbk.jpg
This dress, which I think is actually a wedding gown, if I ever get married, I am going to have it remade

Also, they made these really cool dresses in the 1930's that looked like you were wearing a skirt,a shirt and a blouse, or a blouse and a skirt, but really it was all one piece. I'd love to have one of those. I have one from the 1920's

Also I would love to have a simple bias cut silk crepe 1930's length dress with constrasting white cuffs and collar and white pearl buttons. Very Chanel.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Welcome to the lounge Nicoletta!

I'm working on being all vintage or at least repro everyday. I love the 30s and 40s so I try to stick to that, but if it's old and I like it I'll wear it!:D
My favorite so far is a green crepe and velvet dress from the 30s.
My ultimate vintage score? A fully furnished 40s house with wardrobe to match!:D

Mojito

One Too Many
NicolettaRose said:
http://www.antiquedress.com/images/1125/thirtywhitsatingowntrainbk.jpg
This dress, which I think is actually a wedding gown, if I ever get married, I am going to have it remade
Isn't Antiquedress the most fabulous site? Deborah has the most amazing dresses - I love browsing every section. I recently purchased one of her 20s flapper dresses, and it's even more spectacular than I imagined - the deco detailing of the patterns formed by the beads and pailettes is dazzling. That wedding dress you linked to is sublime!
  • Just wondering do most of you ladies wear vintage everyday, or just on speciel occasions?
A bit of both, really. If I'm not wearing authentic vintage, I'm often in vintage inspired clothing. And I draw from a variety of influences, from Victorian (and even a nod to Georgian) through to deco. Although it's not 'my' era, I even have a few 50s summer dresses.
  • What era do you feel most attached to, or do you play around with all sorts of eras?
Like you, I have a tremendous fondness for the 20s (although I started earlier leaning towards the Edwardian/teens). The form, colour and intricate beading and embroilery of the Jazz age fascinate me - and the historical and cultural milieu that they represent. Poiret and his orientalism through the teens, all the way to Patou and his deceptively simple, sporty designs. Not to mention others like Lucile (whose biographer once stayed with me in London, and brought a few of her gowns with him) and, of course, Chanel and Schiaparelli.
  • Does the vintage look extend into your home (ie) antique furniture, retro applicances?
I love collecting accent pieces, although it doesn't extend to appliances (unless you count cocktail barware as 'appliances!'). I have some high-quality Chiparus bronze reproductions, as well as original china vases decored with 'flappers' from Japan and half-dolls from Germany. Lots of prints, both original and repro (particularly some of the spectacular Railway posters advertising destinations). Quite a bit of maritime ephemera, chinaware and cutlery from the shipping lines I research (White Star, Elder Dempster and Alfred hold primarily). And books. Many, many books.
  • Do you mix and match vintage pieces with modern pieces or wear head to toe vintage?
Both...although even when dressing head to toe in one era, I have to resort to some repro pieces. I will wear a vintage 20s velvet jacket with jeans to a very casual event. I huge hoofs and no chance of ever finding 20s vintage shoes, so have to wear something consistant with the era. I also wear the odd reproduction piece, particularly as so many 20s pieces are so fragile.
  • What is your "dream vintage item"?
So many...

More sensational flapper dresses, I suppose! More beads! More sequins! (possibly the odd Edwardian dress as well):

http://antiquedress.com/item4496.htm

GOK

One Too Many
NicolettaRose said:

I wear repro every day and vintage on special occasions. Luckily, I go out quite a lot, so have plenty of special occasions! I probably wear my vintage bras (they were all NOS) more than any other vintage...they're not usualy reserved for special occasions.

It is entirely dependent upon my mood and what I am doing. At work, I tend to wear simple black dresses ?† la Edith Piaf, or I'll wear a black skirt and sweater or blouse. When not working, depending on what time of year it is and where I am going/what I am doing, I may wear anything from the 30s to the late 50s. Occasionally I'll wear Victorian or Edwardian. I adore clothes, and see no reason to limit myself to one era. I don't tend to do anything later than the year I was born and I don't do the '20s because I'm really not into those styles.

Absolutely not! Despite the fact that I own a converted Victorian shoe factory, my home is completely modern. I do have a deco mirror in my atelier and I use an antique Singer for some of my work but I think that's about it. When my children were young, I did have a wonderful deco three piece suite - that's as retro/vintage as my home has ever or will ever be I'm afraid. I like my home to be efficient, labour saving and free of clutter! I hate ornaments and knick-knacks - I like my home to be as minimalist as possible! lol I also don't collect things (unless you count vintage dressmaking patterns but then I use them, so they are not strictly a collection) . I just don't really see the point of having things that are impractical. If I have something it's because I will use it - not because it sits around doing nothing!

I wear my clothes - they don't wear me! :D

I don't give a fig whether my shoes are from last year, my suit is from the '40s and my coat, Victorian - if I like it and I think it a) suits me and b) looks good together then I'll wear it. I've been wearing vintage and repro for almost 32 years and during that time I've had people look down their noses or make snidey comments about some of my outfits not being 'authentic for the period'. I say it has nothing to do with them or anyone else how I dress. I dress to please me, not to impress anyone else. Ergo, I will mix eras and styles.

To be honest, I don't think I have one. If I want an item of clothing, I'll make it - I don't have to have geniune vintage. For me it's all about style and aesthetics, not the accumulation of original pieces. Are there any vintage things I'd like to own that aren't clothing? I'm not sure...probably not. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind at a moment's notice! :p

Kim_B

Practically Family
Just wondering do most of you ladies wear vintage everyday, or just on special occasions?
Not every day; I'm still trying to decide just how vintage I want to dress on a regular basis. After purchasing a few vintage dresses from eBay, I've found I'm most comfortable in pencil skirts and sweaters/blouse combinations. I think I'll save the dresses for a special occasion! As for footwear, they have to be vintage inspired, as my feet are rather wide and I've yet to find any vintage pair to fit properly. I have a pair of eyeglass frames that I wear on the weekends - I'm haven't tested the waters at work yet!

Since my figure is curvier, I tend to favor the look of the 50's more than anything else, but I still love anything from the 40's - early 60's.

Does the vintage look extend into your home (ie) antique furniture, retro appliances?
Not yet; I'd love to get a few things for the kitchen for display and maybe a couple vintage radios and such. I've been scouring the antique malls for some!

Most definitely mix-and-match. Like I said before, I'm not sure just how vintage I want to be on a regular basis! And it's easier to find modern clothing that is vintage inspired in my size since I'm a bit full figured.

I honestly don't know!! Everything I manage to buy has been dreamy :)

Grace

Vendor
I usually wear atleast one vintage piece a day, whether it's shoes or a skirt or jewelry. I love to mix and match my pieces and eras. Just yesterday while working around the house, I was wearing a 40s slip, a 50s cardigan, wal-mart sweatpants, and 60s grandma scuffs. Boy, was I a sight!

If I had to pick a favorite era, I don't as though I could! I love the streamlined silhouette of the 30s, the strong yet feminine look of the 40s, and the 50s hourglass. I have two 30s coats that are my absolute favorite things in the whole world, and I would be buried with them if I wasn't already being buried with a myriad of vintage gowns. Ooooo and my Fashion Originators Guild satin gown that my dry cleaners won't touch :( this dress will make your heart stop, and the construction is impeccable!! I do love all things 50s, though. I love kitschy and atomic and....I just love the whole era.

I have such a mix in my house! Ranging from Victorian to the 50s, it's a bit of a mish mosh. My two favorite pieces are a Victorian table, rescued from the garbage during a rain storm, and a super cool, HUGE steamer trunk from the 20s that serves as a perfect coffee table.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I usually wear repro every day, and vintage on special occassions. Vintage jewellery every day though! I do mix all eras, from Edwardian to early 60s but the 20s and the 40s/early 50s are my favourites to wear. I still live at home so I don't decorate much, but someday hope to have a fully decked out Art Deco home with my three most desired pieces: a victrola, a rotary wall phone and a pre-1940s Underwood typewriter! When I do wear vintage, I always have some modern mixed in, but vintage inspired modern, as opposed to anything hip or fashionable (I'm not one of those 'vintage prom dress with trainers' people) although I am into Indie, and sometimes may put some badges with my favourite band names onto a vintage tweed blazer. As for my dream vintage item, well I have a long list but as I am a big Grace Kelly fan I'd have to say an original Kelly bag or a 1950s wedding dress similar to the one she wore when she married Ranier :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I wear vintage clothing and/or authentic reproductions every day, and have done so for the last several years.

I am most attached to the late 1930s-early 1940s, but my general interests range from the mid-1930s-mid 1950s. Fashion wise, I am obsessed with the clothing produced between about 1938-1942.

Yes, I have been steadily working on adding vintage pieces to my home (currently I live in an apartment built about 20 years ago, but my dream is to one day own a historic home.) Right now I have a late 40s-early 50s couch and armchair set, a 1940s club chair, a 1930s chrome end table, a 1950s dinette set, and a 1940s waterfall dresser and nightstand, along with miscellaneous items including pottery, prints, and dishware/flatware. I aim to round out each room and complete the various sets over time. It's a fun process, I think :)

I generally wear as much true vintage as possible, but do round out my day-to-day looks with good reproductions. For example, dresses, blouses, and skirts are easy to find and fit my figure very well; however, 1930s-40s pants are hard to come by in the right length. So, I might wear a vintage jacket with a pair of modern trousers (like the pair I recently had made from a 1941 pattern--they're killer ;)) And of course, I usually wear modern fully-fashioned stockings; again, the length suits me better, and I hate to ruin vintage pieces if I can avoid it.

As for a dream item, it is hard to choose just one. There are many clothing pieces, along with furniture and decorator pieces, that I would love to have; my collection will probably never be complete in my mind. However, part of the thrill of vintage is coming across an unusual and unexpected piece, so in that regard, it is hard to name the “perfect” item :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've been slowly collecting vintage outfits ( I tend to like the 40's and 50's the best), and not all that I buy comes from a actual vintage store, I see a lot out there that are more vintage 'repros' that I absolutley love.
I like to mix modern pieces with my vintage, so I'm not doing the head to toe thing. For a long time, I actually spent a lot of effort studying up on the look before venturing out and actually buying something.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I wear vintage (or stuff made by me from vintage patterns) every day and have for several years. I'm just not a fan of modern clothes. I don’t mix and match different eras, but I’m not a vintage snob and couldn’t care less if other people mix and match their stuff. As long as you like it, why not wear it?

I feel mostly attached to the 1930s and ‘50s. As a Marxist, I have access to wonderful photo archives of Party women fighting back during the 1930s, and their utilitarian, but gorgeous clothing with wide-leg trousers, sweaters, and two-toned shoes is my absolute favorite style. I just cut my hair back into a bob, so I’ve been doing the ‘30s more often.

I also really, really love the so-called beatnik look (I really hate the term, beatnik) from the ‘50s and very early ‘60s. You’ll probably never see me in anything really glamorous, certainly no stilettos or wiggle dresses, but I’m always in vintage.

As for my home, it’s a tiny studio, and if you step over the books and newspapers and all my other political stuff, you’ll see pink and turquoise walls with all 1950s furniture and drapes. I have a modern sewing machine, though, and wouldn’t ever want to give it up.

I’m not sure I really have a dream vintage item and if I did I doubt it would be clothing. I do find myself daydreaming about someday owning a small 1950s apartment on the top of a high rise building; there would be no outer walls, only huge windows that looked out over the city, and I’d have a tiny patio where I could drink beer with my friends. Does this count as a dream vintage item?

Grace

Vendor
Rebecca D said:
I’m not sure I really have a dream vintage item and if I did I doubt it would be clothing. I do find myself daydreaming about someday owning a small 1950s apartment on the top of a high rise building; there would be no outer walls, only huge windows that looked out over the city, and I’d have a tiny patio where I could drink beer with my friends. Does this count as a dream vintage item?

oh, Rebecca, that sounds like a perfectly wonderful dream! I want one, too!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I wear vintage clothing and/or authentic reproductions every day, and have done so for the last several years.

I am most attached to the late 1930s-early 1940s, but my general interests range from the mid-1930s-mid 1950s. Fashion wise, I am obsessed with the clothing produced between about 1938-1942.

Yes, I have been steadily working on adding vintage pieces to my home (currently I live in an apartment built about 20 years ago, but my dream is to one day own a historic home.) Right now I have a late 40s-early 50s couch and armchair set, a 1940s club chair, a 1930s chrome end table, a 1950s dinette set, and a 1940s waterfall dresser and nightstand, along with miscellaneous items including pottery, prints, and dishware/flatware. I aim to round out each room and complete the various sets over time. It's a fun process, I think :)

I generally wear as much true vintage as possible, but do round out my day-to-day looks with good reproductions. For example, dresses, blouses, and skirts are easy to find and fit my figure very well; however, 1930s-40s pants are hard to come by in the right length. So, I might wear a vintage jacket with a pair of modern trousers (like the pair I recently had made from a 1941 pattern--they're killer ;)) And of course, I usually wear modern fully-fashioned stockings; again, the length suits me better, and I hate to ruin vintage pieces if I can avoid it.

As for a dream item, it is hard to choose just one. There are many clothing pieces, along with furniture and decorator pieces, that I would love to have; my collection will probably never be complete in my mind. However, part of the thrill of vintage is coming across an unusual and unexpected piece, so in that regard, it is hard to name the “perfect” item :)

Jitterbugdoll, your house sounds great! Where do you get all of your stuff?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, NicolettaRose! The place you live in sounds swell, too.
I've actually acquired all of these pieces locally. I worked at an excellent retro store for about a year (I found the couch set, club chair, and waterfall dresser there), and a good friend of mine owns another vintage shop (where I found the dinette set and nightstand). The chrome table is my favorite find though--it has a lamp attached (with double 'lily' shades) and I scored it for $10 because it needed to be rewired :)

Rebecca, I love the color scheme you have; my 1950s aluminum tree was decorated in the same colors last year :)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Well, I like to think that the majority of clothes I own are somewhat vintage or inspired. From the 30s to the 50s--it just looks better on me and it's what I'm naturally attracted to. Although a lot of times it's just a mishmash. If not that--it's more of an athletic look. Those bloomers from the 1950s gymclasses don't look as comfy to work out in as my yoga pants and sneakers.

Now my house is a different story. I'd say that 65 percent of the things in it are vintage in style. I inherited a slew of stuff from my Great Aunt Lil that sort of set the feeling of my place. However, I would love a nice vintage sofa--it's just they usually have a larger footprint than modern couches.

But nothing will ever come between me and my new dishwasher--NOTHING!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Ahhh yes, there are things that have been invented today that are nice to have that were not around in the 1930's....dishwashers...automatic transmisson...polio vaccines.

Now that I have one...I could never be parted from my trusty blackberry, although it is weird sometimes, when I am wearing my vintage clothing to be walking around talking on a cell phone, or having to worry about if you vintage purse is big enough to carry a cell phone, or other forms of technology.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I've never experienced a dishwasher worth the space it was taking up in the kitchen, much less the money it costs to put one in. I admit it is possible a worthy one exists, but thus far I hate the dang things.

My home is more vintage than my wardrobe so far, and likely to keep up even as I buy more classic clothes...I just can't say no to furniture/dishware/lamps of a certain age, it seems.

I found this site looking for tips on decorating. I'm only now just starting to get into dressing to go with it.

-Viola

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It was a long time before I realized I had a "vintage lifestyle" -- I grew up surrounded by 30s-40s stuff because that was what my grandparents had bought and they never saw any reason to get rid of it. So I've kind of always lived in that mode -- it wasn't so much a conscious decision on my part as it was simply the way I was always most comfortable, and I was never trying to be part of a scene or a subculture. Imagine my surprise to discover I was part of one after all!

Never had a cellphone or a dishwasher or an automatic transmission, even. But I'm very glad I was able to get a polio shot.

Elaina

One Too Many

Well, the answer would have to be no, since I don't like wearing used clothes. I go to thrift stores, but generally I buy something and make a pattern from it and then remake it.

I'm pretty much going to mimic Gok here. It depends on my mood. Also depends on if I'm corseted that day (back problems) since I have clothes that I can wear only with specific foundations. So...like today, my right shoulder and hip were trying to twist, so that means that I've not been tightening up as much as I should. I had to tighten the laces to a 6" waist reduction (rather then the 2" I've been doing), which meant that I was stuck with only a part of my wardrobe. Since I also didn't leave my house, that meant I donned a 1700's style gown and robe (authentic patterns, totally modern Hello Kitty flannel.) So as far as era: no. I don't do that. I'll mix and match whatever I want from 1700's to modern. While I generally don't wear alot of modern clothes, perse, I don't make it all one era. I prefer to look classic. If a modern pattern will accomplish that for me, fine. If not, fine. I don't wear certain things, like sleeveless, and I certainly try not to overemphasize the bust. If it means that I'm going to wear an edwardian skirt and a 197's peasant top, whatever.

I wish. It does to a point, but I prefer the victorian look. I'm a clutter hound and that lends to my relaxed housekeeping style. While clean, I'm not going to put up my treadle if I know I'm going to sew in the next 12 hours or so. Also means that patterns get stacked on the shelves and I have too much furniture for one room.

Mix and match.

I don't really have one. Like Gok, if I want it, I'll make it. To that end, however, I'm not going to say there isn't something out there that I do want.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
It was a long time before I realized I had a "vintage lifestyle" -- I grew up surrounded by 30s-40s stuff because that was what my grandparents had bought and they never saw any reason to get rid of it. So I've kind of always lived in that mode -- it wasn't so much a conscious decision on my part as it was simply the way I was always most comfortable, and I was never trying to be part of a scene or a subculture. Imagine my surprise to discover I was part of one after all!

Never had a cellphone or a dishwasher or an automatic transmission, even. But I'm very glad I was able to get a polio shot.

I'm still hankering after my gran's vacumn cleaner, but she refuses to part with it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner