Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SOMEBODY tell me that I did good !!!

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
you did good!

The larger sizes typically bring more money so I think you did pretty well. You need to get you a good hat brush and brush the devil out of that hat when it arrives, probably on the front porch!

I am not personally enamored with feathers, so I would remove them on arrival, but that is certainly a matter of personal taste.

I am not a Mason, but I have several friends in church who are and they are invariably some of the finest men I know.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
Aren't Masons supposed to keep their masonhood a secret... or are you a real mason?

Not really...especially in Missouri, we can ask someone to become a Mason, which is totally different from years past. Plus, Masons are suppose to dedicate all the cornerstones of all public building and our lodges are usually prominently in the towns. Most of us will wear our rings and have emblems on our cars.

But no, not really a secret.

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate your help from the forum. I hope I made a wise decision on a good hat. I might have it cleaned and blocked...any suggestions there if I should or not ???

mark the shoeshine boy

Johnnybegood

New in Town
You did good

Yes, you sure did good! You outbid me! I had my eye on that hat, but you hung in there to the end. Congratulations! I am new to this group and have a question for you all. Just last week I had a skin cancer removed from my ear, and I decided it was time to take a little preventative measure. Never wore hats much, but now am needing something that will look respectable and give me the UV protection I need. I like the look of the old fedoras, but live in an area that's pretty casual. I'm thinking a Panama hat would suit the bill, but don't have a lot of funds to go out and buy some of the more expensive ones I've been reading about on this web site. Any suggestions?

Thanks

RBH

Bartender
Greetings brother..

I meet you on the level,...
And part upon the ....
Yes I think that will be a great hat for you. I was Master of my Lodge here in Arkansas in 1997, and wore a c-crown fedora. Most of the Masters till then wore cowboy or the cloth kind of hats.[you know the kind that look like a fedora but are made of cloth]. Wear your hat with pride, and maybe other masons will see what a great ''lid'' can do for you.

Is'nt it good for brethern to dwell together in unity...

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
RBH said:
I meet you on the level,...
And part upon the ....
Yes I think that will be a great hat for you. I was Master of my Lodge here in Arkansas in 1997, and wore a c-crown fedora. Most of the Masters till then wore cowboy or the cloth kind of hats.[you know the kind that look like a fedora but are made of cloth]. Wear your hat with pride, and maybe other masons will see what a great ''lid'' can do for you.

Is'nt it good for brethern to dwell together in unity...

so mote it be.....

mark the shoeshine boy

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Johnnybegood said:
Yes, you sure did good! You outbid me! I had my eye on that hat, but you hung in there to the end. Congratulations! I am new to this group and have a question for you all. Just last week I had a skin cancer removed from my ear, and I decided it was time to take a little preventative measure. Never wore hats much, but now am needing something that will look respectable and give me the UV protection I need. I like the look of the old fedoras, but live in an area that's pretty casual. I'm thinking a Panama hat would suit the bill, but don't have a lot of funds to go out and buy some of the more expensive ones I've been reading about on this web site. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Whats your price range?? Then maybe I can help you.

Johnnybegood

New in Town
Price Range

Well, since this is my first purchase, I am not excited about spending too much. I think once I gain a little experience with discerning the difference between quality lids and garbage, I will be willing to spend a little more. To put it this way, an "entry level" hat for me would be under $50. Does that help? Thanks.

shamus

Suspended
as to the hat purchase on Ebay... it is neither a cowboy hat or a stetson.

But that's about the top price I'd pay. Even with the size. You didn't over-pay, but you went to the higher end I'd say.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
In the one picture it says..."mallory" with Stetson underneath it. I take it to be the stetson brand...

right ?

mark tssb

shamus said:
as to the hat purchase on Ebay... it is neither a cowboy hat or a stetson.

But that's about the top price I'd pay. Even with the size. You didn't over-pay, but you went to the higher end I'd say.

JPS

New in Town
Suggestions...

Johnnybegood said:
Well, since this is my first purchase, I am not excited about spending too much. I think once I gain a little experience with discerning the difference between quality lids and garbage, I will be willing to spend a little more. To put it this way, an "entry level" hat for me would be under $50. Does that help? Thanks.

Hi Johnny,

Do you ever have lots of options when it comes to straw hats! I got a couple of straws for less than $35 at http://www.hats.com. I get compliments on them all the time. I got a nice Milan straw from http://www.delmonicohatter.com. Another regular at the FL is the top hat at http://www.aaronhats.com. I would also suggest checking out http://www.villagehatshop.com.

I certainly don’t want to discourage you from doing business with PanamaBob, one our friends here at the FL. Just want you to know that you have lots of resources. Have fun with this hat thing and send us some pictures.

JPS

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Greetings

Good day Brother shoeshineboy
I bid you greetings from Alberta. If you are looking at inexpensive hats but good sold quality take a gander at www.hatsdirect.com. I have several hats from there and none have let me down yet. Rain or shine hats are meant to be functional as well as stylish. For Fedora style I would recommend the federation. I have two now, Regular and Deluxe, both are well worth it.

Johnnybegood

New in Town
Thanks!

Hey, thanks a lot for the great links to hat web-sites! I went ahead and made a purchase with Panama Bob, got a pretty good deal on a Cuenca hat. What I really like about his store is free shipping. Can't wait to see how it fits. It's great to be able to get feedback from others who have "been there done that," and hopefully save me some mispurchases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy