Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Someone sent this to me and I thought...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Not anymore. With old movies, TV shows, and songs to draw back on, people are feeling nostalgic for times they NEVER even lived in!

True, there will always be at least a small following that long for simpler times. Take us for example, we have only seen on film and in print the times we feel nostalgic about. They were the times of our parents or grandparents so we do have that personal and direct connection to the past,...THEIR past. Once that generation is passed, we lose our direct, first-person link to the past.
I fear that with the burgeoning media onslaught we are subjected to today, the past we feel nostalgic about, will all too quickly fade into the obscurity that we call history.:(
Motion pictures have been with us for a little over a century now, but it's difficult to keep up with movies that were made last year, let alone 100 years ago! I think very few people exist today that could truly relate to movies that were part of the everyday popular culture of a century ago. And then, roughly 50 years ago,television adds a new dimension to the mix!
I fear we are being overwhelmed with entertainment, or in some cases, that which is supposed to pass for entertainment. :eusa_doh: It seems as though much of that so called "entertainment" we see nowadays is designed to distract us from those simpler times and their values,for which we are nostalgic.
I sincerely hope that there is a Fedora Lounge, or something like it, 50 years from now, and that there are people that are dedicated to keeping the culture and values we hold dear alive.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I sincerely hope that there is a Fedora Lounge, or something like it, 50 years from now, and that there are people that are dedicated to keeping the culture and values we hold dear alive.

This got me to thinking about something -- I first became interested in Golden Era culture when I was in my early teens, at a time when the era itself was only thirty-odd years in the past. Now, it's thirty years later, and I'm still as interested in the era as I was when I started -- it's been, really, the one constant in a life filled with change.

So I get the feeling that, while there might not be a lot of us out there, those of us who do hold onto our own piece of the past will probably always hold onto it -- and maybe pass that on to the generation that'll follow us.

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
I don't just remember reading Nancy Drew, I remember wanting to BE Nancy Drew. Or maybe Trixie Belden...

I wanted so badly in elementary school to get the neighborhood kids together and have a mystery club. Not sure what mysteries we might have actually found, but that didn't matter.

I remember playing office and we made typewriters out of Legos and smoked candy cigarettes while pretending to answer the pretend phones. Oh, and the girls were always the secretaries, never the bosses, despite what my feminist mom might have preferred!

I had such a crush on Speed Racer, too!! :eek:

And remember those boxes that Halloween costumes came in? And they had those horribly suffocating masks that made one big blind spot. But I got to be Bugs Bunny one year--my hero!

Sigh......
CW

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Convenience…

I went to visit my 70-something Uncle and we were having a pretty good chat but I had to get going and he made a statement that still rings in my ear to this day:

“When they first came out with all these “Modern Conveniences” they were suppose to be “Time Savers”, yet with all these time savers we don’t have any time for each other. There was a lot more time for Chat & Leisure using all the old methods. Where is the Convenience?”

Needless to say I made time to spend the extra couple hours there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner