Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Songs that always made you smile, dance, love being alive?

pgoat

One Too Many
the last time I jammed with friends I launched into "Rotating Heads" (Had just watched aVHS of Ferris Bueller recently) but started singing verses from "Mirror in the Bathroom" by accident...

The end result actually wasn't so bad! (rotating bathrooms? Mirror in the head?)

+1 on Vivaldi. Any baroque is decent for those early morning vibes. I also can get the spine chill joy from Petrouchka (Stravinsky) and just remembered some more albums with lots of feeling for me:

Sweetheart of the rodeo (Byrds)
The Kick Inside (K8 Bush)

Edward

Bartender
epr25 said:
I love the "dancing with myself" song from Billy Idol!

Possibly the second best song in the world about, eh, self-stimulation. The uncontestable best being, of course, Teenage Kicks.

Anything by the Ramones usually gets me going. Early Elvis if I'm feeling the 50s vibe; if I'm in need of a diva moment, late period Elvis, especially American Trilogy. If I'm in a really down mood and need a record to lift me, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols has never faield me yet. A lot of Dylan works well here too. Oh, and the Pogues. And I always get a buzz from Bobby Darin's Beyond the Sea, or a good rendition of Mack the Knife.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
My instant pick up tune is the Grateful Dead's cover of "Good Loving" and my go to discs are Sinatra's "Come Fly with Me," Roxy Music's "Avalon," and the sublime counterpoint of Glenn Gould playing Bach's Goldberg Variations. Wow--in looking at this I realize how all over the map this is..... Just like me.

pgoat

One Too Many
Edward said:
Possibly the second best song in the world about, eh, self-stimulation. The uncontestable best being, of course, Teenage Kicks.

Let's not forget "Orgasm Addict" by the Buzzcocks:p

CharlesB

Suspended
The Dead Boys- Sonic Reducer
The Who- Can't Explain
Bob Seger System-Ramblin Gamblin Man
The Sounds- Song with a Mission
anything off the first Third Eye Blind album

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'Nothing Can Change the Shape of Things To Come', Max Frost and the Troopers (From the film 'Wild In the Streets' starring Christopher Jones as Max Frost!)

-dixon cannon

Mary

Practically Family
Code:
Let's not forget "Orgasm Addict" by the Buzzcocks

Or the Prima donnas!! I love to dance to them. All very explicitly about sex and to great dancemusic.

It's hard to pick just a few songs.

Now I listen to a lot of older soul. Dave Godin's deep soul treasures is a great compiliation. My absoulte favorite is It's not that easy with Reuben Bell and the Casanovas. So much sadness, aching and strenght! And theatrical but real. Very good to dance slowly to and very good to cry to. Listen to this if you want to be overwhelmed!

I know what this tread is called but I really feel alive dancing to music that aches.

But I also dance to nortern soul and pop. And girl groups from the sixties!

Can I upload music to this website? Or to some other site and make a link. I'd love to be able to listen to your favorite tunes.

M

Mary

Practically Family
Have to write what I've been humming to yesterday and today.

Love is strange from Dirty dancing by Mickey and Sylvia. So varying, cheeky and sweet and fun!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
No matter how I am feeling or what I am doing, David Naughton's 'Makin' It' always gets me going~ and if I've had a few cocktails... :eek: You'd have to tie me up and gag me to stop making a spectacle of myself :D

pgoat

One Too Many
katiemakeup said:
No matter how I am feeling or what I am doing, David Naughton's 'Makin' It' always gets me going~ and if I've had a few cocktails... :eek: You'd have to tie me up and gag me to stop making a spectacle of myself :D
lol...we just watched american werewolf in london recently....was trying to explain to my wife (younger than i) who David was - do you remember the old Dr. Pepper Commercials? ("I'm a Pepper, he's a pepper....") pretty much the same vibe as that song.....wasn't Makin' it also a (short-lived) sit com?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some of the best times of my college years were spent at the Antlers bar in Blowing Rock, NC (they didn't sell beer back then in Boone) listening to "The City of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie.

But probabally my all-time "feel good to be alive" song would be "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf.

Now, where did I put my 8 track tape player ... :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran