Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

songs that make you shiver/cry

davestlouis

Practically Family
"The Ride" by David Allan Coe makes the hair on my arms stand on end every time I hear it. For those unfamiliar with it, the song recounts a hitchhiker being picked up and taken to Nashville by a man in a Cadillac who turns out to be the ghost of Hank Williams, who basically warns the hitchhiker about the dangers of fame and fortune.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
There are only 4 songs that evoke this response in me. 2 are 'in general', the other 2 are for my wife and I.

For the wifey and me:
At Last - Etta James
Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers

In General:
Dream On - Aerosmith
All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (I know it's a cover, but I prefer Jimi's rendition to Dylan's)

-AFI

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
airforceindy said:
There are only 4 songs that evoke this response in me. 2 are 'in general', the other 2 are for my wife and I.

For the wifey and me:
At Last - Etta James
Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers

In General:
Dream On - Aerosmith
All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (I know it's a cover, but I prefer Jimi's rendition to Dylan's)

-AFI

How can I only put those, when there is so much good music out there?

Nessun Dorma - Pavarotti (original 3 Tenors soundtrack; nothing else measures up)
Claire de Lune - Debussy
Core n Grato - Careras
No puede ser - Domingo
1812 Overture - Tchaikovsy (final 1:00 or so in particular...)
Girl From Ipanema - Sinatra
La Vie en Rose - Louis Armstrong
All Of Me - Billie Holiday
Live And Let Die - Paul McCartney & Wings

...ok, I'm done now:D By the way, I'm sure to the surprise of most of you, I'm only in my mid-20s.

RC

New in Town
Another sucker here for "I'll follow you into the dark" by Death Cab. Gets me every time. Also Sam Cooke's recordings of "Blue Moon" and "A Change is Gonna Come". And "Misguided Angel" by the Cowboy Junkies too. Sigh.

Joonie

Familiar Face
Leonard Cohen's "Dance Me to the End of Love." And if I want a good sob, I watch the video on You Tube. Not much gets me like seeing older couples dancing sweetly and slowly while pictures of them years ago are in the background.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Joonie said:
Leonard Cohen's "Dance Me to the End of Love." And if I want a good sob, I watch the video on You Tube. Not much gets me like seeing older couples dancing sweetly and slowly while pictures of them years ago are in the background.

I agree, 100%. What a powerful, poignant song.
My list will include several Tom Waits songs, including "All the World is Green"; Nat King Cole's version of "These Foolish Things" - the orchestration and slow crescendo is so beautiful; Peggy Lee's "Is That All There Is?" - "...then let's keep dancing, let's break out the booze and have a ball..." indeed.
Of course, "Blue Birds Over the White Cliffs of Dover."

And, for some reason, "San Antonio Stroll" Tanya Tucker's 1970s version.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Just remembered: "In the Garden" (I come to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses....). It makes me think of going to church with my grandmother in the 70's, and knowing how much it meant to her, I can't hear it without tearing up.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
greatnewphoto.jpg

I do not by nature crave drama, so the short ill-fated career of Russ Columbo doesn't unduly obsess me. But that record date he did in 1934 - his first in 2 years, and just 2 days before he was shot to death - well, it's just unreal. For one thing, he wrote all the songs, and they're all heart-on-your-sleeve romantic, in fact almost too much so. For another thing, he was a helluva musician.

When You're In Love
I See Two Lovers
Too Beautiful For Words
Let's Pretend There's A Moon

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
That is beautiful, Fletch. An octave below Al Bowlly, and in a way, similarly tragic.

Hey, do you know where to obtain that Tiny Tim tribute? And I'm serious.

DC3

New in Town
There certainly are a few songs that evoke serious emotions. Classical music and the full power of an orchestra certainly does it, but so does the melancoly of "An Early Autumn" sung by Mel Torme'. It's on his Night at the Pavillion recording.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Sinatras version of 'Fools rush in' it sounds as though it was recorded in a deserted ballroom...eerie.

I'll be seeing you-Anne Shelton. Always gets me.

And the opening bars to 'You made me love you' by Harry James.......:eusa_clap

jwalls

Vendor
davestlouis said:
"The Ride" by David Allan Coe makes the hair on my arms stand on end every time I hear it. For those unfamiliar with it, the song recounts a hitchhiker being picked up and taken to Nashville by a man in a Cadillac who turns out to be the ghost of Hank Williams, who basically warns the hitchhiker about the dangers of fame and fortune.
I was playing this one last night. "Drifter, can you make folks cry when you play and sing?" But for tear your heart out sad "CRAZY" by Patsy Cline. If this was the only song Willie Nelson ever wrote he should be in the hall of fame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy