Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

songs that make you shiver/cry

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Its Raining" by Irma Thomas....its a heartbreaker folks...

"Hold On" by R.E.M.

"Will You Miss Me?" by The Stanley Brothers.

"Another Place, Another Time" by Jerry Lee Lewis. He's not called "The Killer" for nothing!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Navy Hymn:

Eternal Father, Strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bid'st the mighty Ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
O hear us when we cry to thee,
for those in peril on the sea.

From JFK's funeral, the the film clips of FDR's funeral I saw the other night, to various Veterans" Day ceremonials, this one makes the hair on my neck stand up. Beautiful, spiritual and moving.

gingermore

Familiar Face
Another vote for "Gloomy Sunday" performed by Billie Holiday.
"La Vie En Rose" performed by Edith Piaf gives me the shivers.

Kishtu

Practically Family
"I'll Be Seeing You", no matter who it's by. For too many reasons to name.

"You Didn't Want Me" by a band called Mesh
"Something I Can Never Have" Nine Inch Nails

- both remind me of my much-beloved and no longer best friend, who thought, very stupidly, that I didn't.

Bach's Cello Sonata in (from memory) D, aka the music from "Truly Madly Deeply"... I used to sit in the dark with this on repeat and tears streaming down my face. Because of the film, and because it reminds me of the (fictional) hero of my novel....

"Run", Snow Patrol, which reminds me of being apart from my OH before we lived together...

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Nessun Dorma- such a powerful song, I can't help but cry. I can't name them off the top of my head, but I've cried quite a few times on stage playing certain classical scores.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Not so much how it is sung but the lyrics used to make me sniffle a bit. 'Love tried to welcome me' by Madonna.

I think I have mentioned this before, but 'I want you' by Moloko.

olive bleu

One Too Many
"Groovy kind of Love"..originally by "Diane & Annita" and then by Phil Collins ...because i used to sing it to someone who is no longer here, and "If I saw you in Heaven" by Eric Clapton- for the same reason.

oh..and also "Too many Rivers to Cross", Jimmy Cliff

benstephens

Practically Family
"Yours" by Vera Lynn. Not much of a song as such, but the song was played at my grandfathers funeral.

He used to play it on a portable gramophone outside my grandmas window whilst they were courting.

Ben

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
The Other Woman; performed by Nina Simone. It shoots from both sides of the fence, and I don't know, in the end, which side I feel worse for.
Her version of Jacques Brel's Ne Me Quitte Pas is pretty heart-rending, as well.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
No song of itself gets to me to a shiver/cry extent, but context can weigh in.

Eric Clapton singing Wonderful Tonight on the radio is nice, but when you're dancing with your spouse or partner - especially at a wedding, and especially if it's your own - it can be a really great song. I can't be alone on this one, as it's been played at every wedding that I've attended.

pgoat

One Too Many
Colby Jack said:
Rickie Lee Jones..."We belong together"...
omg! That was one of my "roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair" songs back in the day....true, the intro is weepy but then it gets very joie de vivre

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany