Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source of James Spader's hats {The Blacklist}

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You would think a website called Fashion Magazine could recognize a hat box.

Not necessarily. But I certainly wouldn't think most hat wearers could tell the difference between Mr. Spader's hat box and a drum case, either. If you haven't handled quite a few drum cases, I would wonder if you could tell the one small detail that makes it differ :)

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Andy, welcome to the Lounge.

Perhaps you would like to post some pictures of your Borsos in the Borasalino Brotherhood thread. I know your fellow Loungers would love to see them :)

AndyPFS

New in Town
Andy, welcome to the Lounge.

Perhaps you would like to post some pictures of your Borsos in the Borasalino Brotherhood thread. I know your fellow Loungers would love to see them :)

Thanks, King. I certainly could do that, posting at least a few of the Borsalinos, if I could find my way to the thread (I'll search) and figure out how photos get posted to threads on this site; I've obviously just not looked into it yet. I see on the last few BLACKLIST episodes, that he has been wearing stingier brimmed hats. Both the ones from last night's show certainly were.

Last edited:

AndyPFS

New in Town
Last edited:

Cheviot

New in Town
Hello everyone.
As RBH mentioned, JJ Hat Center (NYC on 5th Avenue just South of 32nd Street) is featured in one of the early episodes showing Spader's character buying a hat there. The hat he wears most frequently and appears to be the hat used in the graphic image used for the show (the one with Spader in a hat, trench coat, and seated in handcuffs), is a classic black fur felt Brosalino with a 2⅜" borderless brim, which JJ Hat Center happened to have in my size and was quickly added to my growing collection of Borsalino hats.

Andy, I'd like to get one of these hats but I'm far from NYC. What info would I need to id the hat elsewhere?

RBH

Bartender
Here is JJ Hat Centers catalog.

http://www.porkpiehatters.com/collections/felt-hats?page=1

After seeing the brim on a few of these I can understand why he said he didnt like stingy brims.
A few of the hats he wears on the show are rather short brimmed but are not stingy comparied to a some in JJs catalog.

I would not be surprised if this one was a modern Dodds.

mtN1TitZtWKrXm34hurYRPw.jpg

http://www.hats-plus.com/p-206-dobbs-toledo-straw-hat.aspx

trestiton

New in Town
I am a newcomer to the site and I'm almost certainly doing something wrong. But I would like to explain to you ( I am a m. doctor and I am interested in psychoanalysis ) the meaning of "Stinghy brims " !.
Also I hate the tight ones, such as those of Trilby so prevalent today.
Well, to wear a hat with a wide brim it is necessary that the wearer has a strong personality, to be self confident , have the ability to deal with others. He is a self-confident person. If I'm not mistaken you call such a guy "Badass" ! Am I right ?
Nowadays, the strong and individualistic personality are rare, the Society is standardized, people are afraid to come out from the herd.
I would say that the width of the brim is proportional, millimeter by millimeter, to the personality of the wearer, until of good taste, of course!
My best regards to all and good conversation !
Aldo Mercanti
Italy

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Umm, is the difference between a mens hat box & a drum kit cover that the hat box is round whereas the drum kit cover maybe has a flat area to keep it from rolling?

Yes, a drum case may have a flat area on the side, but it's not always the case (no pun). I have handled thousands of drum cases, and I'm actually not dead sure. It no doubt contains a hat, but it could be a rebuild drum case for a 14x8" side tom. A quick search on eBay showed only one round case. Round cases for bass drums are not as rare as the ones for smaller toms and snaredrums, but you still see the smaller from time to time.

Anyway, factories that made these fibre cases for drums very likely also made cases for hats. I would like to see it up close. Had it been another person in the image, I would have said "drum case", but Spader ... "a hat case, no doubt!" :)

Last edited:

Cheviot

New in Town
Matching a hat from The Blacklist

Having already found and purchased the hat James Spader wore in the pilot of the Blacklist, I'm moving on to a more difficult to match hat.

Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 6.40.12 PM.JPG

I must apologize, as these are captures from video, none are very sharp. Can anyone ID the maker and/or model hat? I've found similar panamas, but none quite match.

Thanks!

gear-guy

Practically Family
there is another thread about the blacklist hats that James wears. There might be something about this hat in that thread. He does wear it well. doesn't he?!

Cheviot

New in Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner