Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sources

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Is there a place on this forum with a list of sources for either vintage or new-with-vintage-style clothes?

Just a simple list of stores that forum members like to frequent would be a real nice resource.

Instead of having to pick and search for a source for an item we could go right to the list.

Just wondering.

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Me too! I don't want to be labeled 'the guy who stepped out of an old movie', but it would be nice to find some designers that like the 30's etc. as much as we do.

Paul

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My favorite vintage clothing store is: eBay :)

Seriously, there are practically no stores left in the Los Angeles area that consistently carry fine Golden Era menswear. "McGinty's Vintage Underground"? Gone. "Lulu's"? Gone. "Wasteland" and "American Rag Cie"? Not worth looking into anymore. And that's just the beginning of a long list.

Try Iguana Vintage Clothing (various locations in Southern California) and Aardvark's Odd Ark (EXCEPT for the Melrose store).

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Stopped into Iguana Vintage Clothing on Ventura a couple weeks ago.
The walls were lined with vintage hats!
I thought I'd hit the jackpot.
Until I looked closer.
Not a single vintage hat in the bunch, and man, there must have been 200 hats.
Bummer.
They did have a lot of clothing but I didnt stop to look.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Hey, Big Sleep,

I tried to start a thread of sources just for adventure gear, a list of suppliers and websites, stores and gear, sort of a dumping ground like you suggest.
Even in this fairly specific branch of vintage, there were no responses.
I'm wondering if we should just put source listings in the Merchants Forum, but I've no idea if the mods would allow that. They may only want sellers and manufacturers to post there.
That said, I can tell you that new folks hit that forum expecting a treasure trove of links, and find only one listing.
Maybe we should encourage folks to hit the Merchants Forum with links, products sold by the merchant and reviews, even if the sources they list are well known to us here in the Lounge.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Spatterdash said:
Hey, Big Sleep,

I tried to start a thread of sources just for adventure gear, a list of suppliers and websites, stores and gear, sort of a dumping ground like you suggest.
Even in this fairly specific branch of vintage, there were no responses.
I'm wondering if we should just put source listings in the Merchants Forum, but I've no idea if the mods would allow that. They may only want sellers and manufacturers to post there.
That said, I can tell you that new folks hit that forum expecting a treasure trove of links, and find only one listing.
Maybe we should encourage folks to hit the Merchants Forum with links, products sold by the merchant and reviews, even if the sources they list are well known to us here in the Lounge.
The Merchants Forum is a new feature here at The Fedora Lounge. Since it is a new feature, it will take some time for it to fill up. Only advertisers are able to post there as a means to communicate with The Fedora Lounge Community. Give it some time, it will grow, and I am sure you will get a lot out of it.

Spatterdash, there are so many references to safari gear that all you need to do is use the "Search" feature to narrow it down. At any given time, there are three or so threads on the subject. ;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
BigSleep said:
Stopped into Iguana Vintage Clothing on Ventura a couple weeks ago.

The "Iguana Vintage Clothing" store on Hollywood Blvd. (near Hollywood and Vine) has a fine selection of Golden Era menswear (suit jackets, gabardine shirts, leather coats), but no vintage hats.

Sad to say, I don't know of any vintage clothing store in Los Angeles that has a decent selection of vintage hats.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
Seriously, there are practically no stores left in the Los Angeles area that consistently carry fine Golden Era menswear. "McGinty's Vintage Underground"? Gone. "Lulu's"? Gone. "Wasteland" and "American Rag Cie"? Not worth looking into anymore. And that's just the beginning of a long list.

It's not just Los Angeles, unfortunately. I remember Sydney hosting Retro, Top Hat, Rancho Deluxe, and half a dozen little stores in Paddington. They all vanished over five years ago, and on my last trip into town two weeks ago, even the long-standing Jazz Garter has been replaced by a travel agency or something. Route 66, which was a bastion of vintage attire in the 80's and most of the 90's, now carries mostly 70's junk. :eek:

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Hey Benny

Hey Benny,

I can't beleive the Jazz Garter is gone, although I haven't seen anything good in there for a while and used to work in the city a few years ago, and would visit regularly!

Cheers

3pc

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I actually picked up a hat at Hubba-Hubba in Burbank on Magnolia.
The lady said it's getting harder and harder to find the vintage hats.
She said the one I bought came from a guy that stopped in and sold her a big pile of them. There were still a few left but only one that sparked my interest.

There is a cool place on Moorpark in Studio City called Play Clothes that sometimes has hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran