Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SpaceShuttle to transport lightsabre

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Movie memorabilia in space

IS this story for real?

The original lightsaber wielded by Luke Skywalker will be delivered to NASA for launch in late October aboard shuttle Discovery, a flight that will mark the 30th anniversary of the 1977 release of the movie classic "Star Wars."

luke-774888.jpg

Doh!

One Too Many
There's no mention of it on starwars.com so I question its veracity. I'd be a little miffed, frankly, if NASA spent tax dollars on a movie anniversary "stunt" launch.

Lucas can certainly afford to launch his own spacecraft -- let him foot the bill.

Thanks for the history lesson on the sabers, though. Good stuff!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for bringing this to our attention ..

...MrBern. I'm going to contact these people and try to intercede on behalf of Burt Rutan, Richard Branson and the staff of 'SpaceShip One'. This should be on their next launch!

NASA is SOoooooo 20th Century! They're liable to loose it on re-entry.

-dixon cannon

Shearer

Practically Family
Not only that, but Chewbacca did the honor of handing off the baton... er, lightsaber ;)

chewie.jpg

To commemorate the historic event, Star Wars characters visited the Oakland International Airport where Chewbacca handed the lightsaber over to NASA’s Space Center Houston during a special ceremony on Aug. 28, 2007. Arriving by Escalade and Hummer stretch limos (the Falcon’s in the shop) Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, X-Wing pilots, Jedi and stormtroopers (from the Golden Gate Garrison of the 501st Legion) accompanied Chewie for the fun-filled press event which took quite a few travelers and tourists in baggage claim by surprise. NASA’s Space Center Houston Director of Marketing Roger Bornstein greeted the intergalactic guests and warmly thanked everyone’s favorite Wookiee for bringing him Luke’s lightsaber.

Link to story I found via Boing Boing.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Doh! said:
There's no mention of it on starwars.com so I question its veracity. I'd be a little miffed, frankly, if NASA spent tax dollars on a movie anniversary "stunt" launch.

Lucas can certainly afford to launch his own spacecraft -- let him foot the bill.

Thanks for the history lesson on the sabers, though. Good stuff!

Since the shuttle is -going- anyhow....its doubtful that NASA spent actual money on it.....if so...very little...its not like its a chartered flight -just- to take a lightsaber there and back.....lol

Doh!

One Too Many
Well, I suppose if Scotty's ashes could be placed into orbit, it's OK.

It's so odd that starwars.com doesn't mention this.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the next shuttle mission should have all the astronauts dress up in Star Wars outfits for our sheer entertainment and nothing more. Maybe we'd feel we're getting something more substantial for our buck.
Flashs_Ship_movie.gif

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
I have heard camera collectors and dealers dislike the Star Wars guys who cannibalize Graflex flashes to make lightsaber hilts.

Some do
Some enjoy overcharging them as well. These were rather useless items once flashbulbs became so uncommon.

I assume the flashgun was chosen for the prop since it held 3 D-batteries. The original prop was rigged w/ a littl motor to revolve the "blade". It was intended that the revolving blade would be rather luminous on screen when hit by stagelights. Didnt work.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I don't think it was chosen for the batteries so much as that it just looked like an actual, proven, real piece of equipment. The same reason that Han's blaster pistol was made from an old Mauser. One of the really clever aspects of design in the original SW film was the "lived in, well-used" technology, and basing the props on real stuff was a brilliant shortcut to achieving that look.

BTW, I have one of those old flashguns (actually a Heilland, a cheaper clone of the Graflex), as my parents were pro photographers from the 40s onward. (My dad used to shoot weddings with a 4x5 Crown Graphic and flashbulbs - juggling the film holders and used/unused bulbs, along with how difficult it is to shoot a wedding in general, was a major effort.)

Doh!

One Too Many
Twitch said:
I think the next shuttle mission should have all the astronauts dress up in Star Wars outfits for our sheer entertainment and nothing more. Maybe we'd feel we're getting something more substantial for our buck.

If I were drinking milk right now, it totally would've come out of my nose.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Doh! said:
Well, it doesn't sound like an official Lucasfilm sanctioned event. I wonder if this is the same lightsaber that sold at auction maybe a year or so ago for something $60,000 or more. If so, it could be some wealthy person wanting to send it up into space, not Lucas himself donating it for the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot