Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spear point collar shirts

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Hm, 3" isn't that much more than what's usual these days, is it? And the undercurve?

But at that price, I'll have a look at it, of course.

Kishtu

Practically Family
No joy in Tesco

[huh]

I'm wondering if the fact that they are being advertised on the Florence & Fred website is a teaser and that they're not widely available in all stores yet?

Warden

One Too Many
I got some, Wanted 5 to replace my old work shirts but only had two in my size.

Thanks Paddy your a star for finding these,

I say I am going to look dapper at work now.

Pip pip

Harry

Cobden

Practically Family
What material are they? I have some idea's about dying one or two, but if they're poly I don't think it's doable...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Paul Frederick Spear Point Cotton Shirts

I bought these on one of their sales/offers recently for USD29.50 each instead of USD49.50. They arrived today and I was pleasantly surprised to see the collar points are very tight together not like the pix on the link shows...much closer...more like the UK Tesco type.

Keep your eye out for coupons and deals or sign up to paulfrederick.com to get the goss.

http://www.paulfredrick.com/Catalog/PFProductDetails.aspx?Category=NonIron&ProductId=1505

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Report Back on PF Spear (European) Collars

cookie said:
I bought these on one of their sales/offers recently for USD29.50 each instead of USD49.50. They arrived today and I was pleasantly surprised to see the collar points are very tight together not like the pix on the link shows...much closer...more like the UK Tesco type.

Keep your eye out for coupons and deals or sign up to paulfrederick.com to get the goss.

http://www.paulfredrick.com/Catalog/PFProductDetails.aspx?Category=NonIron&ProductId=1505

The PF ones are nearly identical to the Tesco jobs. I wore mine the other day and when you take out the collar stays they get a bit of a 'rolled' Gittes look.

Miss Roulette

New in Town
I went to Tescos today (the biggest one there is near me) with my chap and we couldn't find any spear collars. The only £4 Florence and Fred shirts they had were cut-away collars in plastic bags. We had a look at all the other shirts they had but couldn't see any spear collars :(

Do they still have them in your local Tescos? Perhaps they are only stocking them regionally.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Spear collar shirts?

The last time that Nadia & I were over the pond, I managed to find an Arrow 'Kent Collection' shirt (poly-cotton, unfortunately) with a great, very long 'spear point' collar. Apart from Mr Magnoli, I've yet to find anywhere to purchase this particular style of collared shirt, does anyone know where they're readily available to a Limey?

Kinda Jake Gittes (with the emphasis on Git, natch), rather than a Corelone 'narrow gap' kinda spearpoint...

Edward

Bartender
Far from cheap, but the Vintage Shirt Company might be what you're looking for:

sh193.jpg

sh190.jpg

sh192.jpg

www.vintageshirt.co.uk

These work out at between sixty and seventy quid a pop, on average. My latest evening shirt is from the VSC, and the quality certainly is high.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Hey Edward, thanks chap.

They're perfect but, for a fella who's used to buying stuff off Ebay/when thrifting in the US, a little on the expensive side. Really impressed that they do 'stiff' and 'softer' versions of the spearpoint collar, tho' – guess I'll have to weigh up the pros'n'cons!

Don't you find that it's difficult to properly set off your vintage suits, jackets, ties etc with a modern shirt, even if it's got a relatively vintage-ish collar? I find that the collars of modern shirts don't fill out the space between the lapels, which is generally more generous (quelle surprise!) than on modern suits...

Hmmmm, I seem to remember the guys I knew on London's mod scene getting really nice shirts made by a lady in the West End for around £30-£40. Mebbe I'll do a bit of scouting around – I'll be sure to let the FL crew know!

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Yeah, one of them would do, but I betcha that (like Avanti, Rockmount, and lots of other US retailers) they'd charge $25 for overseas postage. That's especially rich when it comes to shirts, as one can be stuck in a Priority Airmail envelope for $12 or so... kinda bumps up the price, don't it? Thanks for the heads-up, tho! Guess I'll have to do some serious thrifting/resale/vintage/'pimp' store hunting when we're over to the US next! We're set to visit pals in Memphis (our 10th trip – we were the first couple ever to wed inside Sun Studio) & Albuquerque in the Spring...

Here's our wedding snap, dig it. Dunno if you can see the '40s Pendleton western shirt I've got on, that's got a nice collar – not too long but soft'n'slightly pointed:

josnadssun3web1.jpg

cptjeff

Practically Family
Guttersnipe said:
Check these out:
http://www.elpachuco.com/external/zootshirt.html

Unfortunately they only come in black or white and are made of a cotton/poly blend, but they're only $29 US! I have one ad I like it just fine. They have convertible cuffs and a slim fit, both of which I really dig, but beware the collar is WAY more pointy than it looks on the website.

Slim fit in a 4X? And no small? Do they really think there are enough 4xs in the world to justify stocking those, but not enough to justify a small?

:eusa_doh:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Slim fit usually refers for the way a garment fits in relationship to a person's body, so yes, a 20"-20 1/2" (4XL) can be slim fit.

cptjeff said:
Slim fit in a 4X? And no small? Do they really think there are enough 4xs in the world to justify stocking those, but not enough to justify a small?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I'd say they know their market Xtremely well. ;)

To my knowledge this is the first time on FL that someone's complained about a lack of smaller sizes: it's usually the lack of X sizes in (mainly) Japanese-made workwear that gets people going.

Maybe you should start a slim pachuco chapter. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana