Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spear point collar shirts

alden405

A-List Customer
img582.jpg

my Grandpa 1930sumtin

cptjeff

Practically Family
Off subject, but the guy next to him proves that short crowned stingies did exist way back when. Sweet hat, that felt looks wonderful.

Peter

New in Town
Spearpoint shirts

Good day to one and all!

After the superb assistance I received in my quest for a suitable fedora, I have another question to throw open to the floor:

I am looking for a supplier of good (but not TOO expensive) spearpoint collar shirts, plain or lightly striped, interwar style.

always your servant

Peter

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Good day to you too!

You could try The Vintage Shirt Company. I was looking at their spearpoint shirts just the other day. They're a little on the expensive side for me admittedly, but they might be just what you're looking for.

Here's a link to their site. They have several available colours and colour combinations. They also have a "military" version in khaki (without pockets or epaulettes it appears), and an "American" version, with a stiffer, longer point collar. All look very nice in my opinion. A version with a little more curve in the collar would be nice though.

http://www.vintageshirt.co.uk/

If you are considering ordering, beware the fact that prices don't include VAT and postage. That hikes them up by a fair bit.

*Pipped to the post!*

Edward

Bartender
VSC can't be beaten on quality, though, yes, not exactly the sort of price that most of us could afford to snatch them up half a dozen at a time...

I have some shirts from the Saville Row company - www.savillerow.co.uk if memory serves - that came in at around twenty quid each on offer. All-cotton, double cuff, and with a nice pointed collar, came with a collar pin (nicely tailored holes in collar for the bar). Not quite the spearpoint of the VSCs, but nevertheless they work very well for a period look, IMO. I think they only have them in white at present, but might be worth asking them.

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the tips - I'm glad someone brought up the subject of spearpoints actually. It's incredibly difficult to get anything other than cutaways on off the peg shirts in the UK these days. I don't have anything against them, but it's nice to have a bit of variety. Even in M&S, if it isn't cutaway, it's a boring square cut collar of the type I had to wear with school uniform many years ago...

I also stumbled on this site - I haven't tried it yet, and have no idea if they're any good. They do have pointed collars, but they don't seem to be as vintage looking as the others. I'm a bit wary of such gimmickry - possibly unreasonably so I suppose.

http://www.tailorstore.co.uk/tailor-made-shirts

I notice that The Saville Row Company have a couple of nice round tip collared shirts too, which would make for an alternative vintage look.

Peter

New in Town
Spearpoint shirts

Thank you gentlemen!

Excellent help and very useful advice as before. Splendid.

Your servant

Peter

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Apologies if this has been discussed previously.....has any one had any luck tracking down modestly priced 'spear point collar' shirts here in the UK? I did try M&S today but was quite dissapointed by their offerings. All open/wide collar types.

For my sins, I play trombone in a small group focussing on the music from the 1920's and 30's and some efforts have been made on our part to look the part.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
I'm desperately looking myself - If anyone knows of a place, please let us all know! The cheapest spearpoint collar shirts I've found so far have been £70 each!!!

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Yes... I've somewhat decided if i can't find a source of regular shirts in this 'spear point' style, i'll resign myself to buying one from the pricier vendors as a shirt for special occasions.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Excellent! I shall probably be ordering from wardrobesupplies myself. Many thanks! :)

Tenorclef, a review would be much appreciated once yours arrive!

Last edited:

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Ok, so here is a photo of one of my Spear point collar shirts with collar clips to keep the collars from flapping about. It gives off a great vintage vibe. Looks very old school English. The quality seems pretty good too but only time will tell. The shirt is an off white and quite soft.

166846_1446772863186_1649122021_1033934_1066914_n.jpg

Last edited:

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Fly boy, if you require a collar clip for these shirts (and you will of course), i have two spare ones slightly smaller than the one photographed. I'm a 17" collar and my other two clips seems to be for a slightly smaller collar size than I currently use...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points