Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spear point collar shirts

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Fly boy, if you require a collar clip for these shirts (and you will of course), i have two spare ones slightly smaller than the one photographed. I'm a 17" collar and my other two clips seems to be for a slightly smaller collar size than I currently use...

I'd be very interested in those actually! I don't currently possess any collar clips - Most remiss of me!

Edward

Bartender
I would also have suggested Wardrobe Supplies. Not bought one of the shirts from them yet, though I have dealt with them for smaller items and been very pleased with the service. The only drawback of their shirts is that, as they told me on the phone, they are buttoned barrel-cuffs only. If they did them with double / French cuffs, they would be ideal. Still, if you're not a fan of cufflinks or want something a little more casual, they are ideal. I do plan to pick up a few eventually. The Darcy (Formerly Vintage Shirt Company) options I have seen in person, and they are outstanding. Just a shame they're so pricey or I'd have no qualms about buying a whole bunch. As it is, they are most definitely 'special occasion' shirts.

Another option is this one, from the Saville Row Company:

http://www.savilerowco.com/products/men/mens-white-shirts/pin-collar-formal-fitted-shirt/pid-348wht

IMGP3989-1-1.jpg

Not quite the same as a thirties spearpoint, but if you wear one of those pinned same as this, it's as close as dammit.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Lovely! I'd be happy to take them off your hands. PM me and we can work out payment/delivery!

Sorry old chap, i did try to PM you but i think because i am new to this forum I have insufficient posts to have access to TFL's internal messaging at this time. Sign of the times sadly....

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
I would also have suggested Wardrobe Supplies. Not bought one of the shirts from them yet, though I have dealt with them for smaller items and been very pleased with the service. The only drawback of their shirts is that, as they told me on the phone, they are buttoned barrel-cuffs only. If they did them with double / French cuffs, they would be ideal. Still, if you're not a fan of cufflinks or want something a little more casual, they are ideal. I do plan to pick up a few eventually. The Darcy (Formerly Vintage Shirt Company) options I have seen in person, and they are outstanding. Just a shame they're so pricey or I'd have no qualms about buying a whole bunch. As it is, they are most definitely 'special occasion' shirts.

Hello Edward, i can't fault the shirts from Wardrobe Supplies however it was amiss on my part not realising they were buttoned barrel-cuffs.....so I decided to splash out after all on the Darcy Shirt and will be the proud owner of 3 spear point shirts (one for Sunday best!).

Curious but I could not help but notice that Vintageshirts (now called Darcyclothing) and The Chap Magazine both share the same address???

Cobden

Practically Family
Hello Edward, i can't fault the shirts from Wardrobe Supplies however it was amiss on my part not realising they were buttoned barrel-cuffs.....so I decided to splash out after all on the Darcy Shirt and will be the proud owner of 3 spear point shirts (one for Sunday best!).

Curious but I could not help but notice that Vintageshirts (now called Darcyclothing) and The Chap Magazine both share the same address???

That's interesting, never noticed that. Having visited the VSC shop, there is no obvious mention of "The Chap"; but it's possible it's the same enterprise

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
The Chap
2 Mount Place
Lewes
East Sussex
BN7 1YH
United Kingdom

Darcy Clothing
2 Mount Place
Lewes
East Sussex
BN7 1YH

Just checked both web sites and lo behold it is one and the same place!

Nick D, i'll check those other collar clips to see if they fit my new spear point shirts......

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Sorry old chap, i did try to PM you but i think because i am new to this forum I have insufficient posts to have access to TFL's internal messaging at this time. Sign of the times sadly....

Egads! Although it appears that you may not need to sell them if they fit your new shirt collars anyway!

billyspew

One Too Many
Ok, so here is a photo of one of my Spear point collar shirts with collar clips to keep the collars from flapping about. It gives off a great vintage vibe. Looks very old school English. The quality seems pretty good too but only time will tell. The shirt is an off white and quite soft.

166846_1446772863186_1649122021_1033934_1066914_n.jpg

I have been looking for these myself.
Nearest I've found is on Savile Row Co and their tab collar shirt http://www.savilerowco.com/products/men/mens-white-shirts/tab-collar-formal-shirt-/pid-296wht

Is the bunching on the collar due to the tie (looks to be a modern, thicker one), or is the shirt slightly large on the collar?

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I am quite interested in this site but haven't tried it yet.

http://www.itailor.com/

You can choose your fabric and then totally customise all of the details, so you could have spearpoint collars with French cuffs for instance. And the prices look pretty good.

I am in no way affilliated with them by the way ;) and can't vouch for quality as I haven't ordered one yet but I will report back when I do.

Edward

Bartender
I have been looking for these myself.
Nearest I've found is on Savile Row Co and their tab collar shirt [/URL]

Yes, those would be good too. That's essentially the same shirt as the pin collar one I posted, except that it has a button tab behind the knot which holds the collar in place, as opposed to two holes to accomodate a pin. (The pin collars come with a two-inch silver tone bar). You could of course use a clip with a tab collar, though it would be essentially decorative rather than functional in that case.

Is the bunching on the collar due to the tie (looks to be a modern, thicker one), or is the shirt slightly large on the collar?

Ok, so here is a photo of one of my Spear point collar shirts with collar clips to keep the collars from flapping about. It gives off a great vintage vibe. Looks very old school English. The quality seems pretty good too but only time will tell. The shirt is an off white and quite soft.

Is this a Darcy?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I've found several smaller shops which sell shirts with pointed collars (not quite spearpoint but better than what most shops here sell). However, I've found it impossible to find pointed collar shirts with double cuffs. Darcy clothes looks like they make nice shirts but they're too pricy for me because I want at least three or four.

So far I've settled for shirts with what I would call a semi-spread collar - definitely nowhere near a spearpoint collar but a lot closer to it than most cutaway shirts you see in the high street shops. Also, since I usually aim to go for an early to mid 50s style, a semi-spread collar looks OK.

My latest shirt came from TM Lewin. It has what they call a Duke of York collar which is a semi-spread collar. The quality of the shirt, especially at £25 (£35 RRP) is fantastic.
http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/MensAllShirts/MensAllShirts,en_GB,sc.html

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Another option is the made to measure shirts which Marks and Spencer offer on their website for £45. I haven't tried them out yet though, so I can't comment on the quality.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family

Looks good. How's the sleeve lenght? my problem with off the rack stuff: sleeves are allways too short..

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I am quite interested in this site but haven't tried it yet.

http://www.itailor.com/

You can choose your fabric and then totally customise all of the details, so you could have spearpoint collars with French cuffs for instance. And the prices look pretty good.

I am in no way affilliated with them by the way ;) and can't vouch for quality as I haven't ordered one yet but I will report back when I do.
I've just had a look at this site and have to say it sounds quite good. They certainly have a large selection of fabrics to choose from. If their quality is as good as they say it is I may be buying several shirts from them soon.

Torquil

New in Town
The Chap
2 Mount Place
Lewes
East Sussex
BN7 1YH
United Kingdom

Darcy Clothing
2 Mount Place
Lewes
East Sussex
BN7 1YH

Just checked both web sites and lo behold it is one and the same place!

The editorial offices for 'The Chap' are in the same building as the Vintage Shirt Company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana