Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spear point collar shirts

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Killing time while waiting for a train (which broke down as it tried to leave the station!), I popped into a branch of TM Lewin, who are doing quite a long spearpoint-collared shirt called the Roma. Sadly, as the Roma range was designed by jockey John Francombe, it features a quite motley assortment of colours and patterns. Less spindly FLers may find 'em a tight squeeze, as they're quite slim-fitted (although there are twin back darts which, presumably, could be let out), but the white version looks great value at a sale price of £20...

Check 'em out here.

billyspew

One Too Many
Killing time while waiting for a train (which broke down as it tried to leave the station!), I popped into a branch of TM Lewin, who are doing quite a long spearpoint-collared shirt called the Roma. Sadly, as the Roma range was designed by jockey John Francombe, it features a quite motley assortment of colours and patterns. Less spindly FLers may find 'em a tight squeeze, as they're quite slim-fitted (although there are twin back darts which, presumably, could be let out), but the white version looks great value at a sale price of £20...

Check 'em out here.

Think you've got the wrong John Francomb, John Francome is the Jockey.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
The Francomb, looks great value for money although not sure if a skinny fit would work for me and the arm lengths seem crazy long like as if they were designed for a gorilla......ah that would explain the surcharge of £8 to have them adjusted to a human arm length. Hehehehe, what people will do to make money.

Last edited:

billyspew

One Too Many
The Francomb, looks great value for money although not sure if a skinny fit would work for me and the arm lengths seem crazy long like as if they were designed for a gorilla......ah that would explain the surcharge of £8 to have them adjusted to a human arm length. Hehehehe, what people will do to make money.

Really? I find the regular length slightly short, so normally go for the 36". Must be a gorilla!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ADMIN - Similar threads from different rooms on the Spearpoint have been merged for ease of reference and access. Paddy.

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great, look forward to it. If you can give a run down on ease of ordering, materials quality, meAsurements, fit...etc that would be really helpful Gents :)
And just your overall impression of the item !

iPhone communication

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Well here's a photo of one of my wardrobesupplies spearpoint shirts i wore today. I'm afraid its a bit crumpled after the days wear and not quite as impressive without the 3-piece suit, tie and collar pin.
spear.jpg

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hi Gang,

Took me forever but as promised... images of my German shirt. From eBay and the delivery was perfect

Fit is ok. I STRONGLY recommend washing and letting drip-dry which is what I did. The shirt shrank a good bit and drying will shrink it too much I think. The material is thin and a little frizzy; ironing takes care of it though. The collar has no stiffener. And having such a developed point, without using starch, it wants to flop around. But looks great otherwise. The button are a little lame...

Since we're really interested in the collar more than anything, two images showing the shape

sayxcn.jpg

mskqw4.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That German shirt looks fine from here. I tend to be Mister Starch when it comes to ironing my shirts anyway. I'm still rather concerned about ordering when the measurements are so inprecise and there is also shrinkage (as you mentioned) to build into the equations. Mmmm...a conundrum I have.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
flokragen1.jpg
I posted this in the other thread. Here again just for comparsion. Yes, the fabric is far from heavy oxford cotton and the buttons...It is not perfect.
But I like the stripes and colors they offer. I tend to think that the collar is the most important part because it is nearer to the face. So you could just buy this shirts for everyday wear instead of the usual spread collar business shirt nonsense.

Edward

Bartender
I have some photos of mine on my phone - must get them up. Wore it to work last Friday (with a narrow-lapel, mid-1950s suit, of all things, and my latest vintage Deco tie). Looks great. I do feel the absence of a double cuff, as I'm a fan of the cufflink, but otherwise I like it (And, of course, there are times a cufflink isn't so ideal - when wearing a cardigan, for example, or sometimes an A2). A little worried about shrinkage.... the fit is reasonably generous on me, so that should be okay, but I'll be sure to wash it before I order another. I never tumble dry my shirts anyhow, just wash and spin. When I finally make my projected trip to HK to hit some tailors, I'll be taking this one with me to have the collar shape replicated.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
PS- Have no images, but the collar works great with a halfzip sweater...!!!

The collar bar idea is a good one. Will probably tame that unruly collar!

Considering the price- the shirt is worth it.

Clint

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
When I finally make my projected trip to HK to hit some tailors, I'll be taking this one with me to have the collar shape replicated.
You might want to check out Jantzen while in HK. I've seen good results from those who were fitted at their shop, daizawaguy included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24