Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spear point collar shirts

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
^^That's quite interesting. I thought that shirts of any collar shape (attatched or detatchable) would have come with French cuffs back then.

Were attatched collars with French cuffs more common after WW2? This seems to be supported by what one sees in films.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Nope. Barrel (button) cuffs were a workshirt staple that began to appear in men's daytime dress shirts in the 1920s. By the '30s, they were mainstream.

Sorry, I didn't mean that barrel cuffs weren't around, just that French cuffs were probably more common than they are today and would consequently have been available with most collars. This is simply based on film observations where characters are wearing shirts which appear to have an attatched collar (or at least a very soft collar) with a French cuffs.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In Berlin I found many vintage spearpoint collar shirt but they were to small for me. Most of them had barrel cuffs. But there were some with attached soft spearpoint collar AND french cuff too. I am rather sure about that. Also there were detachable collar shirt but with soft collars in the same fabric.

Tried them on for hours but didn't find a single one in my size. :-(

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Sorry, I didn't mean that barrel cuffs weren't around, just that French cuffs were probably more common than they are today and would consequently have been available with most collars.

French cuffs were more common than they are today, and they would have been available with most collars. That said, barrel cuffs were also readily available, and they seem to have been frequently matched with "sporty" shirts: i.e., those with soft or semi-soft attached spearpoint collars, button-down collars, etc.

It boils down to this. If you want a spear point collar shirt with French cuffs because you like French cuffs per se, then the search continues. However, if you want that shirt with French cuffs because you deem it more authentic to the 1920s-'30s, then rest easy: barrel cuffs are just as authentic.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It boils down to this. If you want a spear point collar shirt with French cuffs because you like French cuffs per se, then the search continues. However, if you want that shirt with French cuffs because you deem it more authentic to the 1920s-'30s, then rest easy: barrel cuffs are just as authentic.

In my case it's a combination of the two. I want to look period accurate and at the same time prefer French cuffs to barrel cuffs. I suppose you could say I aim to dress like a successful Golden Era businessman. Therefore I prefer French cuffed shirts (but with attatched collars for the sake of practicality) and three piece or double breasted suits.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I highly recommend the Van Heusen "Wrinkle Free" Spearpoint collar shirt, even if it is part Poly:sick:ester.

You should get the collar 1/2 larger, that way you can tighten your tie enough to make the collar opening tighter. :D

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
http://www.misterfreedom.com/?p=1696

I love this shirts but could never afford them.
Hells bells.....

I could maybe afford ONE - eventually- but by the time I saved enough/convinced myself it was a sane choice, they would likely be discontinued....

I don't think I'd ever be able to bring myself to wear it for fear of a rip or a stain, though.

It kind of baffles me how someone could build a wardrobe out of these clothing lines, seeing as how you'd have to be on a serious "prestige" budget, yet the style is definitely not what comes to mind when you think of the way people with that kind of money dress.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Lovely shirts, but $400? Come on, this is ridiculous. I'd rather not have the glass buttons and spend the money on four bespoke shirts from Hemrajani.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lovely shirts, but $400? Come on, this is ridiculous. I'd rather not have the glass buttons and spend the money on four bespoke shirts from Hemrajani.

Oh course it IS ridiculous. Still... I love the fact that shirt like this are still produced in modern times. Even if they are too expensive. My girlfriend is a seamstress and I often go with her when she looks for fabrics. Pattern like this are impossible to find.

yet the style is definitely not what comes to mind when you think of the way people with that kind of money dress.
I did read somewhere else that Johnny Depp likes Mr Freedom. But you are right. I suspect most customers who could affort this wouldn'#t care for the style. I think them rich folks just order modern cuts and collars

Feraud

Bartender
You should get the collar 1/2 larger, that way you can tighten your tie enough to make the collar opening tighter. :D
How does this not look like your shirt is too big for you?
Cinching a too large collar does not make a favorable impression on the look of your collar, unless I am missing something?..

Edward

Bartender

Too rich for my blood too. There are a lot of collectors of this sort of thing in Japan, though, from what I hear, and over there paying such a premium price is prized as part of what makes the item desirable. [huh]

TCMfan25

Practically Family
How does this not look like your shirt is too big for you?
Cinching a too large collar does not make a favorable impression on the look of your collar, unless I am missing something?..

I will post a pic when I get back home from Vacation on the 3rd.
It was accidental, buying the shirt too big, but after toying around it looked perfectly fitting and had a tighter opening all day long.
(The big smile is my favorite smiley... thats why I use it so much :D)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Never mind Japan; Australia just might be the spear point collar source at the end of the rainbow.

Click on this link and scroll down to the seventh collar from the top: http://www.skindeep.com.au/shirts_collar.php

That's as fine a spear point collar as I've seen on a modern shirt. And US$217 --custom-made-- is a lot less expensive than US$400.

(We talked about Skin Deep Clothing Co. on the FL way back in 2006. It needed a bump.) http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...here-to-get-them&p=86674&viewfull=1#post86674

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy