Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spear point collar shirts

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes. That's true. You have a good memory for details .
fedorajuli201104.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Haha. Do not worry. You look good in the picture. If we follow Mr Chevalier here we are both on the save side with our collars:
Yes. Everything was around in the '30s: tab collars, button-down collars, club collars, spread collars, you name it. Long, thin spear point collars were widely fashionable for a very brief time: from the later '20s to the early '30s. Yet for some reason, they're now perceived as THE iconic collar shape of the gangster era. (Maybe it's because they look flashy?)

You are wearing a postwar suit and me a 30s jacket (not even a suit). So we are even^^

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Haha. Do not worry. You look good in the picture. If we follow Mr Chevalier here we are both on the save side with our collars:

You are wearing a postwar suit and me a 30s jacket (not even a suit). So we are even^^

True, my shirt could pass as period accurate, but I would still prefer a more pointed collar: the same length as what I'm wearing but with the points closer together. And as you pointed out, Sproily owns no or very few suits yet is no doubt one of the best dressed men on the Lounge.

:eek:fftopic: Whilst I like 30s clothing (my first vintage suit is a 30s piece and still one of my favourites), I hold a minority preference on the lounge for the suits which came out around 1953 (just after the Bold Look but during the days when DB suits were still worn).

Fidena

One of the Regulars
True, my shirt could pass as period accurate, but I would still prefer a more pointed collar: the same length as what I'm wearing but with the points closer together. And as you pointed out, Sproily owns no or very few suits yet is no doubt one of the best dressed men on the Lounge.

:eek:fftopic: Whilst I like 30s clothing (my first vintage suit is a 30s piece and still one of my favourites), I hold a minority preference on the lounge for the suits which came out around 1953 (just after the Bold Look but during the days when DB suits were still worn).

The spread looked really sharp with that ensemble, I thought.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Just picked these two up off ebay. $8.50 for the both.
Look at the collar on the Butte, MT sold one! Any idea what Silk Radium is? I've looked it up- plenty of ads from the '20s-'30s for all manner of things made from silk radium, after that. . . just about nothing.
The shorter collared one has the chinstrap/ hidden button down collar setup you see on old workshirts, which is interesting.

KGrHqUOKowE4vg0Shu9BONItJPC0_12.jpg

KGrHqUOKogE4uZJDEgBONItRgvQ0_12.jpg

KGrHqYOKjIE4kj9B6eBONItjI22g0_12.jpg

KGrHqQOKiwE4q9tntpFBONI0YUHeQ0_12.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I came across these examples of rather long collars on British men in the mid to late 1920s. I had always thought that the longer collars came in slightly later, but it seems I was wrong. These look like they might be as long as 4 inches - maybe more.

IsleofMancollars2.jpg

IsleofMancollars.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I found this shirt yesterday. It is by 'Racing Green' and was in a sale at £25. It may not be the perfect spearpoint collar, but it is a a pointed 3inch collar and is a damn good value shirt. Much better than the cutaway collars that are so popular with most British shirtmakers.

IMG_0950.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I found this shirt yesterday. It is by 'Racing Green' and was in a sale at £25. It may not be the perfect spearpoint collar, but it is a a pointed 3inch collar and is a damn good value shirt. Much better than the cutaway collars that are so popular with most British shirtmakers.

IMG_0950.jpg

Where did you find it? The only shirts I ever see have the collar so spread they point back towards the ears.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Guttersnipe

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points