Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spear point collar shirts

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes the signum shirts.The collar is really good but the shirts are not perfect. Most of them are 50% cotton and 50% viscose and they have strange buttons. But for that price they are really good. The company also sells very odd modern shirts with no cotton at all and different colors. Search for "Signum A2" to find that special spearpoint model.

If you need help with translation and stuff ...feel free to ask.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
I've now had time to try my spear point collar shirts from both Darcy and Wardrobesupplies, they are both very traditional shirts and very different designs. I love how the Wardrobesupplies spear point shirts have the buttons only half way down the front, very nice fit, soft cotton and stylish finish, made in India. I'd imagine these are used a lot in period dramas. The Darcy shirt has a slightly more formal touch, a sharper finish, 2 colour tone buttons all the way down the front, cuff link button style, made in England, should last as the cotton feels substantial. However I can buy two shirts from Wardrobesupplies for the price of one spear point shirt from Darcy. Obviously labour comes into the cost but there's some hefty profits being made here I think.

Very glad to have my spear point shirts now, they really do set off my traditional 2 & 3 piece suits.

To the chap asking about shirt arm lengths, i have a shorter arm fit and tend to use traditional arm bands to deal with length issues.

To the chap asking about itailor, yes I've used them in the past although I'm not sure 'French collars' are the same thing as spear point collars.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I might try one of those German shirts. Also, TM Lewin currently has a SALE ON on their Duke of York shirts which has a spearpoint and at £20, can't be bad for the great quality. NOT French cuffs though, if you like them (which I tend to).

Edward

Bartender
Barmey, any advice on sizing - they seem to be listed in the S/M/ L manner... I'm usually a large in a casual shirt, my accurate measurement being typically a 16.5" neck size. Can't see a collar size, maybe I missed it? At that price, I'm inclined to give one a go. The Darcy shirts can't be beaten, but they're not exactly priced for regular, daily workwear (at least, not within my budget...). If they're reasonable and fit well, those German shirts look like a good way to get a few options in the wardrobe cheaply (not to mention that I plan at some future date to head for a reasonably priced Hong Kong tailor to have a bunch of shirts made up - these could be an option as a "pattern").

Barmey

One of the Regulars
They didn't really give any indication on collar size. I messure 15" collar and I got a medium one to be on the safe side. Its actually nearly a perfect fit so i would advise to definately go for the larger option.

Edward

Bartender
I'll maybe drop them a line then just to check - I can wear a 16" open necked - fine with a cravat, but not so good for a four in hand.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wait, maybe I can help. For the signum: I bought a L and a M and tried to measure them.
But I only wear the M. It is 39,5 cm. That would be 15.55 inch... My other shirts are marked with 39-40 so it seems about right.

I tried to measure the L shirt and came up with 42 cm. That's 16.54 ".... but I am not sure if this is just the right allowance for 16" or 16,5" shirts? Any other things I should measure?

PS: The seller doesn't answer much. At least he didnt when I asked for a club collar shirt they sold in L that I wanted in M. Told me just to check on their ebay shop. Yes...thanks. There is no german word for club collar so I searched the whole darn shop. Later the shirt in L was sold too.... damn

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Yes, please. What is the full sleeve length measured from the middle of the spine to the end of the cuff? A 39,5 cm neck would be fine for me but I have pretty long arms...

Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
Wait, maybe I can help. For the signum: I bought a L and a M and tried to measure them.
But I only wear the M. It is 39,5 cm. That would be 15.55 inch... My other shirts are marked with 39-40 so it seems about right.

I tried to measure the L shirt and came up with 42 cm. That's 16.54 ".... but I am not sure if this is just the right allowance for 16" or 16,5" shirts? Any other things I should measure?

PS: The seller doesn't answer much. At least he didnt when I asked for a club collar shirt they sold in L that I wanted in M. Told me just to check on their ebay shop. Yes...thanks. There is no german word for club collar so I searched the whole darn shop. Later the shirt in L was sold too.... damn

Thanks, Floey - that's really helpful. Sounds like I'm definitely a large in those, then. What are the cuffs like - are they barrel or double/French?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I might try one of those German shirts. Also, TM Lewin currently has a SALE ON on their Duke of York shirts which has a spearpoint and at £20, can't be bad for the great quality. NOT French cuffs though, if you like them (which I tend to).
They do have shirts with the Duke of York collar with French cuffs for £20. Their colour selection is limited (didn't even have white with blue pinstripes) so I only bought a plain white one. The shirt is very good quality but definitely not a spearpoint collar - more of a semi-spread.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, the best option I've found readily available in the UK for a white shirt are the Saville Row Co ones referred to above.

FFF, I have ordered one of these German shirts now - will see how it turns out. :)

Cobden

Practically Family
Having just tried to buy one of the Signum shirts, can anyone tell me the German for "please invoice me with the cost of postage and package to the United Kingdom, and I'll send payment as soon as possible"? He hasn't specified and ebay won't let me pay without such. For reference, my German is pretty terrible, and the two sentences I know ("Achtung Spitfeuer!" and "Aber ja, natürlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall!") are somewhat useless for circumstances such as these. Many thanks!

Incidentally, because of my terrible German, I had to use Google Chromes automatic translator. Which translated "Neu mit Etikett", which I guessed meant something along the lines of "New with labels", as "Welcome to the Jungle"

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
My hovercraft is full of eels. :D

Here goes: Bitte nennen Sie mir den Rechnungsbetrag inklusive Versandkosten nach Großbritannien und ich werde Ihnen den Betrag so schnell wie möglich überweisen.

What is "Spitfeuer" supposed to mean? Never heard the word...

Cobden

Practically Family
Many thanks, much appreciated!

Spitfeuer is supposed to be "Spitfire", as in the aircraft. I watch a lot of 1950's British movies :whistling

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
You're welcome!

Ah. If you translate "Spitfire" literally it's "Spuckfeuer". Never heard that either, though.

Cobden

Practically Family
I don't think many British film-makers of the period were particularly noted for their adherence to grammatical German :eek:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21